1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

essential pedals for stoner rock/ fuzz rock / doom

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MacPark, Sep 18, 2016.

1. I am a guy who has never really used pedals. I just always plugged in and played. I am curious what people think are some essential pedals for stoner, fuzz and doom styles of music.

I want to be able to get a "bigger" bass sound when needed as well am interested in playing around with some new sounds.

cheers guys

2. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    obvious answer is a loud fuzz. I would start off with a Swollen Pickle as they are pretty cheap and get crazy loud.

Apart from fuzz maybe a reverb or delay would be my thoughts.

I used to jam in a stoner/doom/atmospheric kinda band and Fuzz was one of my only pedals and I didn't really need too much more.

3. veryvery

veryvery

May 23, 2016
    CA
    I second reverb.

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Reverb might not be a good recommendation, unless you are looking to add atmosphere to quiet breakdowns, or create a huge wall of incoherent droning fuzz.

I would say essentials are:

- Overdrive: Something that can cover vintage tubey tones to something a bit gnarlier... a Blueberry, Agro, or VT Bass for example.

- Fuzz: For when you need to take things up a level. I love my Team Awesome Fuzz Machine for it's ability to sound warm, organic and touch responsive, yet still sounding like a melting amplifier and not sacrificing any low end.

- Phaser / Chorus / Delay - Something to add a bit of trippiness every now and then. I favour an MXR Phase 90, although I would go for the new Phase 95.

- Filter / Wah: Just listen to Dragonaut by Sleep. Hotone Bass Press or Dunlop Mini Bass wahs are good compact options. Source Audio Manta will give you TONS of filter options as well as phasers.

TerribleLiar23 likes this.
  5. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    You must not listen to enough stoner doom rock :p

6. RedJag

RedJag

Mar 2, 2016
    Check out this demo of the Earthquaker Cloven Hoof Fuzz. Works great on Bass and Guitar.

Planespotter and P-oddz like this.
  7. man I am so sold on that thing.

8. Shovel

Shovel

Jun 4, 2013
    Massachusetts.
    I mainly use my nano bass big muff (you'll hear a lot of complaints about this pedal but i love mine) and dunlop bass wah for stuff like that, occasionally phase but not often. I'm looking to get a milder overdrive at some point, but so far that hasn't been necessary.

9. alexgauss

alexgauss

Sep 6, 2016
    Definitely green big muff type pedal will suit for stoner or doom. Also some super fuzz type fuzz will be cool. And I would give a try boss hm-2 for doom stuff.

holy ghost likes this.
  10. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    It's what I listen to most! There are tons of different styles but most of what I would call stoner rock is mostly heavy riffing without the atmospheric or drone elements.

NoxNoctus likes this.
  11. Blaargh

Blaargh

Apr 4, 2016
    An Earthquaker Devices Acapulco Gold is a great doom fuzz, gets the vibe of Sunn Model T heads which are the classic doom head. Fuzz, wah, phaser I'd say are key. Maybe a reverb, and I like to use octavers and harmonisers to create a larger wall of sound effect with heavy fuzzes. Bare minimum for me is a Thunderbird through a Digitech Bad Monkey (TS style overdrive with a 2 band eq) and a bass muff (deluxe for me, the blend is useful but that's an easy mod to the standard one).

RedJag likes this.
  12. thanks guys, alot of talk about fuzz and wah, what phaser is good on bass? I have a ehx bad stone for my guitar, any good on bass?

13. RedJag

RedJag

Mar 2, 2016
    Have you tried it? I used to use my small stone with my bass all the time. Worked well.

14. torza

torza

Sep 20, 2005
    Agro is a good bet. It can get gnarly enough while still retaining lows and definition.

For fuzz, Pickle Pie B is unsurpassed for doom. So heavy and thick

15. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    An overdrive and/or a fuzz, and a wah.

16. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I'm playing in a stoner space doom band with this board. Only thing missing is the EQD dispatch master which will soon be making an appearance. The pedals that are the stoniest are the Eau Claire Thunder, ODB, the Xero and the Bad Stone.

image.

ulidoom, Danfuzzbass and Guinness20 like this.
  17. RedJag

RedJag

Mar 2, 2016
    Here's a clip of me playing a Muse riff through it. Not stoner/doom, obviously, but a pretty fuzzy tone with lots of definition still. Only pedal used is Cloven Hoof

18. Born to Bass

Born to Bass

Jun 17, 2016
    buy a vintage proco RAT(or reissue. but not a 2) :D its all you will ever need as far as distortion/fuzz

19. I'm been a big fan of Black Art Toneworks pedals. This one is nice.

Jeff O'Connor, Strung_Low and RedJag like this.
  20. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    SmallSound/BigSound Team Awesome! Fuzz Machine or Buzzzzz