1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Essex Bass Guitars [Part 2]

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paul, Dec 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
  2. Ok, this is officially a mega thread now.

3. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    It's more than that it's a SUPER MEGA THREAD. And I'll get one of the first posts on a 300 page thread! I still don't know how come SX basses sound so nice compared to all those other cheapo basses?
    Stan

4. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    wow

5. arbarnhart

arbarnhart

Nov 16, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Knowing what details are important is my guess. If you pay attention to every single detail, you will produce a quality product but it will be expensive. They obviously aren't doing that, but when they chose which details not to spend too much time on, they appear to have chosen wisely.

A question - does anyone know how long SXs have been made? Another answer to the quality question could be modern equipment.

6. bassgiant15

bassgiant15 Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses

Dec 19, 2005
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I love these basses!!! I will hopefully be getting a fretless from my wife this Christmas!!!!! Can't wait!!!!

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Just posting to subscribe to part II!

I still love my SX basses, I've modded several but gig with a stock 5 string jazz. I still look at other basses but my GAS is cured! :bassist:

8. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I've been looking at the 5er with rosewood board; blocks and binding. But I don't like the gold hardware. I really wish they would release more of the vintage style 5 string jazzes with black blocks and binding. Either way, I think I gotta get me one of the P/Js.:)

9. My experience of them is that those I tried were beautifully balanced. Acoustically it gave a more positive resonance and feedback than the MIMs and Squiers I was comparing it to.

As soon as Christmas is over, I'll see what funds are available. I'm still undecided between a PJ62 or a JB75. I probably am more inclined towds the PJ at the moment, because of the versatility. But i reserve the right to change my mind at any time and as many times as I like :cool:

Walnut

10. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I might be jumping into Part II soon. I've been thinking about trying fretless and for kicks put an SJB-62 fretless on my Christmas list. I know my wife has been on Rondo's website so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

11. Indeed, you do!

[​IMG]

12. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    i have said it before, i will say it again, and i shall keep saying it until it comes to fruition:

there needs to be a p/j 5er available at Rondo. or, at least, a P-5er.

13. NICE! The SX PJ is in my near future as well.....

14. BTW did you repaint that one? I don't a black PJ on the Rondo website. I only see it in Sunburst or Red.

15. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area

Buy the SX "P" 5er and install one of those Wilkinson 5 string P pups from ebay in place of the neck J pup. The rout is bigger than the J pup so the Wilkinson might even fit w/ only pickguard modification. Or it might not :)

16. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
  17. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I swore I'd never buy another black bass ( I have two already), but whoa that is nice!

The other nice thing about these PJs is that the output jack is on the side of the body which means the chances of the pickguard being broken, like on a regular P, are greatly reduced.

18. arbarnhart

arbarnhart

Nov 16, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    From my research, Fleurco-Services, an eBay seller is pretty much the bottom of the barrel, price wise. The local off shelf cheapy for me is Austin, but I read bad reviews here. SamAsh has a $99 Brownsville that I also heard bad things about. Then I started reading about the SX...

19. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA

Man, that is a nice one!

20. Fishface

Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    You call this a MEGATHREAD??? It's only 1 page long! :bag:

j/k (officially subscribed to thread)

BTW... I love my SX P bass. Sunburst alder w/ rosewood board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.