1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ever sell a bass, then unknowingly buy it back?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by guy n. cognito, Sep 22, 2008.

1. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    In the early part of 2007, I sold a 1996 crimsonburst Fender Jazz Deluxe V in the classifieds in order to fuel whatever GAS I had at the time. I regretted the decision almost immediately and set about trying to find another one. During that time I did find a blue one from the same year, but I still wanted that crimsonburst back. I even found one on the bay, but the asking price was ridiculous and the guy wouldn't return my emails.

A few weeks ago, a crimsonburst popped up for trade here on TB. The seller was willing to consider a straight purchase, and the bass was headed my way. I just got it today. When I opened the case, I was first greeted with a strangely familiar smell, which I wrote off to random case funk. Then, when I retreived the bass, I noted a few nicks that seemed to be in the exact same place as my previous bass. I checked some of my old pictures and, sure enough, this is my old bass. She's wearing flats instead of rounds, but it's in pretty much the same condition as when I sold it.

When I started tracking back, I discovered that the seller bought this bass from the guy I sold it to. I'm thrilled to have it back, as it's a really good bass and fits me perfectly.

2. Vynns

Vynns Guest

May 5, 2008
    Haha, awesome! It's like a hollywood lovestory or something :D

3. pd1134

pd1134

Aug 27, 2008
    Chantilly, VA
    friggin nuts dude, hahaha

4. Now thats an awesome story. There are a couple of basses I wish would find their way back to me. Congrats.

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    No.

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

You may be a compulsive bass trader IF..................

7. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    wanna sell it...

;)

... again

8. S&TBass

S&TBass

Sep 22, 2008
    Yes I sold my oldest strings and thing's bass and bought it back for twice as much as I sold it for Yes I missed it!

9. allotabass

allotabass Guest

10. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    That's a cool story. It must be nice to have your bass back.

11. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN

;)

Maybe we could just sell it to each other every six months!

12. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Can't say that I have, no. I've only sold one bass and I can guarantee I won't be buying that one back; sold it to a kid in a punk band who proceeded to smash it at the end of his second or third show with it.

13. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    this one yamaha keeps finding its way home I bought it new traded it later on then found it in a pawn shop bought it back then traded to a local music store decided I like it and bought it back and just got rid of it again so shoul I reaquire it then it would be the 4th time I owned it,that might be a new record

14. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    HA! The case still has one of my dog's hairs in it!!! Hilarious!

15. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    That COULD be one that my dog added to it :D I'm sure there's a few stray cat hairs there too.

What's really funny about this, is that lately I've been debating trying a 5'er again. That bass really is incredible, and the finish is specatular. I honestly miss it.

16. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    What I want to know is, did you end up paying less for it this time? :D

17. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I think it was exactly the same.

18. scootron

scootron Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    That's one thing I love about TalkBass. It seems like a lot the same gear just goes around and around.

My wife calls it "that site where you buy and sell each others stuff".

I know I am at least the 3rd TBer to own my Geddy. It's nice because we can make sure none of us is getting ripped off.

19. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    If you love something, set it free ...

;)

20. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've gigged on a drum set that I had owned 20 years previous. I remembered why I sold them in fairly short order.

KO