Ever thrown a bass away?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Vee, Oct 20, 2005.

1. I've always wanted to ask this on Talkbass.. Have you ever just thrown a bass away?

Obvious reasons include complete mangling and breakage, whether from stage, or shipping, abuse. Another possible reason might be complete and utter disgust with a cheap instrument.

America has become such a disposable society.. I'm wondering how many bass tossers we actually do have out there.
  2. I havent, but a guy i know jumped of stage and landed on his bass, i think he chucked it away, either that or its hanging on a hook somewhere
  3. Yes, I have. After salvaging any worthwhile parts. It's only wood. And if the wood goes beyond repair, bye bye.
  4. Thought about it many times, but never done it. I have given a bass away though.
  5. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Well...kinda...i got a bass from the trash where i work that had the wiring cut out and missing the back coverplate.I had it rewired and a plate added for $20.00...sold it at a guitar shop for $125.00 :D It was a.. Sadowsky ...if i remember.... Just kidding :p It was a Bently pro series 10 had great slap tone.
  6. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Yep. An old Vantage.
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I threw away a Peavey TNT combo amp. It had problems.
  8. I was told by a guitarist/bassist friend of this one church guy giving a young teen girl a bass for a gift...

A FRIKKIN RICKENBACKER 4001!!!!!!!!!

Talk about throwing away a bass!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

May the Lord bless the guy... :p
  9. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    No, I haven't thrown away a bass but since it's been brought up already I once gave a friend of mine my MIM Fender P for a birthday present.
  10. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Yes. About 15 years ago an aunt and uncle gave me a bass that one of their tenants left behind in one of their rental properties. It was a Peavey something or other (I don't think it was a T-40). The strings had been so severely over tightened that the neck was practically curly up on itself. I took the strings off and let it sit for about a week, but the neck was gone. In the dumpster it went.
  11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yep. An old Fender Musicmaster. A long time ago.

Pretty stupid, huh?
  12. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I worked for this youth event, and after deciding that I needed some cash, I did offer my Lakland 55-94 to a girl for way under fair value, just cause she had nothing to play (I was selling it for financial reasons and couldn't just give it away.) But she declined saying it was too nice a bass for her to learn on and I ended up selling it to daoktr
  13. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador

And after that they went to a motel... didnt they tell you that part of the story??

14. Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Heck no, my friend found a soundgear in the trash because the whole bottom was cracked off, still played pretty damn good.
  15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yup... this one:

j/k :D

16. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Gracious, no! You heathens!
  17. Bass Heaven

Bass Heaven

Jul 27, 2005
    Yes a Peavey Foundation but that doesn't really count does it?
  18. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I burned the wooden parts of my first bass, an Epiphone Power bass. I had tried to defret it, but damaged the cheap rosewood fretboard while doing so. It was a terrible bass, so I decided it wasn't worth trying to save it, so it had to go. I still have all its hardware and pickups stored in a box, but I don't think I'll ever be needing them as some parts started falling apart after a year or so.
  19. If you count giving a Kalamazoo to a friend to try, then finding out she left town, then....YES!
  20. I was given a piece of $h*t Jay Turser Musicman copy that was left on my ship after a band had played on it. We tried several times to contact the band with no avail until someone told me to take it. After I salvaged all the worthwhile parts (bridge, tuners, pots, knobs and pick up) I gave the rest the heave to the dumpster.