1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Evil companies that aren't WalMart

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hbarcat, Mar 15, 2009.

1. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I see at least one or two "WalMart is evil" threads started on TalkBass every month and I wondered why no other company seems to be afforded the equal opportunity to be ripped on. So here is your chance.

Any stories from employees who were forced into indentured servitude at Burger King for 18 cents/hour, 12 hours/day, 7 days/week with no breaks?

How about those who went shopping at Radio Shack and were beaten senseless for no reason by the hired goons working the cash registers?

Anyone know any stories of the corporate leaders at Verizon mowing down the rainforest and wiping out whole villages of natives in order to get cheap land to build offices on?

Has anyone here ever been the victim of reckless driving in the parking lot at Holiday Inn, being run into by one of the toothless idiots who are their usual customers.

Let's hear em' - don't be shy. :D

2. Any cell phone company in Canada. They rape you with a progressively larger stick at any chance they get.

lowsound

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You know who I frickin' hate? Whole Foods. They come off like the greenest, nicest, most people- and earth-loving company ever born, but under the veneer they are just the same rapacious, greedy, wasteful, mean-spirited, and hypocritical corporate robots that they pretend not to be.

I don't mean individual WFM workers, BTW, I mean the corporation. I worked for them for a couple months and I couldn't believe how horrible the company was on the inside.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Same with Starbucks. Smarmy coffee nazis... I like cream and sugar in my coffee, if you have a problem with it, don't serve it.

5. There's always Guitar Center. Can't get enough of the GC haters in here and their rants. Sam Ash too.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    . <---- for maki

7. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Monster Cables seems to be pretty evil to me.

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Citi Corp. F those bastards.

9. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    General ******* Motors. They pioneered the concept of buying things you can't quite afford on 'credit'. And the rest is history.

10. The thing is with starbucks, is that 99.9% of the employees wouldn't know a good coffee (or any coffee related product) if it was signing their paycheques.

lowsound

11. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    . . . and responding to my own thread:

MC Sports.

The M and C might as well stand for "Massive Crap" :spit:

12. Wild Bird Center.
    Designer f-ing birdseed.

almost a dollar a pound for this crap that is triple filtered and washed. Plus the stores are run by post-menopausal nazi women who take their personal phone calls IN THE FRONT OF THE STORE. :mad:

/bad first job experience.

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah. I get my home coffee from a locally owned tea/coffee/candy shop that has a TON of stuff. All bulk, spices and teas in huge varieties. Great place, and a great place to get coffee.

14. kubacki

kubacki Guest

May 24, 2003
    Brunswick, Me
    Sprint... Move to an area where you don't get service and try to cancel it. Fun times!

Nuclear Blast Records. Love many of the bands on this label, but their customer service is (or at least was) very rude and difficult to work with, IME.

15. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Apple for placing a crypting chip in their Shuffle earphones.

Let alone controlling, you can't even listen to anything through normal earphones.

16. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Anyone involved with fossil fuels. FedEx is as violently anti-union as WalMart.

17. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    Extremely inaccurate.

Please do your homework.

18. The Umbrella Corporation. :spit:

19. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Need a change of username... Instead of unrepresented, how 'bout uninformed?

Definitely take a look at these "evil" oil companies first before you jump on that bandwagon, whichever direction your opinion may lie. (BTW, you ever take a trip anywhere, or drive in a car, or ride in a bus, or drink from a straw, or any of these?

Ammonia, Anesthetics, Antihistamines, Artificial limbs, Artificial Turf, Antiseptics, Aspirin, Auto Parts, Awnings, Balloons, Ballpoint pens, Bandages, Beach Umbrellas, Boats, Cameras, Candles, Car Battery Cases, Carpets, Caulking, Combs, Cortisones, Cosmetics, Crayons, Credit Cards, Curtains, Deodorants, Detergents, Dice, Disposable Diapers, Dolls, Dyes, Eye Glasses, Electrical Wiring Insulation, Faucet Washers, Fishing Rods, Fishing Line, Fishing Lures, Food Preservatives, Food Packaging, Garden Hose, Glue, Hair Coloring, Hair Curlers, Hand Lotion, Hearing Aids, Heart Valves, Ink, Insect Repellant, Insecticides, Linoleum, Lip Stick, Milk Jugs, Nail Polish, Oil Filters, Panty Hose, Perfume, Petroleum Jelly, Rubber Cement, Rubbing Alcohol, Shampoo, Shaving Cream, Shoes, Toothpaste, Trash Bags, Upholstery, Vitamin Capsules, Water Pipes, Yarn... There is many more.

20. I've never notice the dental issues usually associated with frequent Holiday Inn customers. In fact, I've seen the commercials and those that stay at Holiday Inn Express seem to be pretty bright. Now Wal-Mart, on the other hand, they should offer a dental plan for the customers. Did I miss the point of the thread?

This looks pretty interesting as I own a company involved with fossil fuels. Fill me in.:)

Mike