Extended Range Bass Club Thread (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Nov 29, 2010.

Tags:
  1. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I didn't even notice that. Attempting to tune the A-string with reverse winding would completely throw me off.

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    The "extended B" is used for a tighter low B string.

3. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Yeah, I would have thought so, too .... at any rate, #121 :cool:

And I absolutely love that bass :D

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Both have an extended B headstock. It doesn't actually improve B string tension, but the fretted came with it when I bought it used, so I had the fretless made with it when I had it built so they would match (too bad the design changed slightly between them so they didn't really match in the end anyways). The fretted one was built earlier and the tuning pegs were placed slightly differently on that one, so the tuners go BAE, as opposed to my fretless (and any other Elrick with the XB headstock now I assume) that goes BEA.

It does let you put a Hipshot Xtender on a more useful string than the low B though.

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    I think you're the first person to actually compliment it beyond "holy ***** monkey fritter and rice! how do you play that thing?!" - which is still a compliment in my book

I'm making some adjustments to it, but the good kind. :)

I'm going to hand-grind the saddle pieces so that I can adjust bridge string spacing left and right. I'll also be making a brass nut for it as I much prefer consistency of the in-between spacing as opposed to the string center. When your string gauges vary from .021 to .200, the string spacing inconsistencies are terribly noticeable.

Also, I'm going to pull out the OBP-3 and get a 4-band Noll for it, possibly replacing the knobs with ETS knobs.

6. Ed Goode

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    What is the tuning? F#-F in standard 4th's, or something else? I'm assuming the .200 would be the F# ....:cool:

7. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    10 string here.

Attached Files:

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    .200 being the F#? I have seen on Conklin's site and others where they are selling .165-.175's, which I assume is closer to the gauge of what is needed for F#. JII-X might be able to chime in, but I have seen .210's which I thought were for C#'s.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the earlier C#'s were 195, iirc - at least the ones i have are. i would think a 200 would be a C# too.

10. Ed Goode

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    :atoz:

Sitting here right now looking at an older SIT .195 that I used for C# ... Old age is a PITA .... :help: .... memory is the first thing to go. You guys are too young to experience it yet, but the day will come and you'll see what I mean .... :)

11. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Yes, I tune F# - F. I sometimes drop the C and F a half step for chord playing, but usually I just stay standard.

12. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    I use a 35" scale and Circle K sets for balanced tension. At F#, my .200 is ~46 lbs of tension. At C#, it would only be ~27 lbs.

13. Ed Goode

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Man, am I out of the loop .....

You kids, get off my lawn!!! :bag:

14. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    I really recommend checking out Skip's balanced sets, or at least the notion of creating sets with a balanced tension. I don't tap much, and prefer heavy strings. The low F# was always too floppy, IMO, at the .165/.175 range for finger playing. The .200 is nice and tight and allows me to have much lower action/more accurate intonation one some of the higher frets.

15. Here's my 6 string fretless I just bought.
    My first extended range bass and my first fretless, so it's a little different to anything I've played before, but I love it :D

Attached Files:

16. Ed Goode

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    I've had a few preliminary discussions with Skip on a 7 set, F#-C, and will likely place an order when I finally stop jerking around with my new 8 build. For the 8 I would go F#-F.

I've also been in touch with O4P , so I've got some decisions to make. If I don't off-load my fretted 7 it will be de-fretted and then I'll restring. I've heard nothing but positive comments about Circle K, though .... :cool:

17. Ed Goode

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    SamirBass #122 ..... Welcome :cool:

18. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    So the high F is that a wound or an unwound string?

19. The high F string of my Conklin GTBD-7 is wound.

20. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Can be either, depending on the manufacturer. With Octave4Plus, I used a .024 that was wound. Now with Circle K, I use a .021 that is unwound. I believe my original Snakeskins and SITs were both unwound. I actually like the sound of the unwound string. Unlike guitars, where I find they're way too twangy and slip tuning more often, they seem to blend in pretty nicely and stable.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021