Favourite recorded bass tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cnltb, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    My favourite tone from Stan on that record has to be "Basically Taps". So vibrant and alive, and so responsive, it almost sounds 3D!

2. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    I think George. Their recording history is shrouded in a fair amount of mystery, but I'm quite sure that one is Georgie.

3. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA

They were great! How about Ray Bennett of Flash and also Martin Turner of Wishbone Ash? Plus anything by Jack Bruce or Flea....

4. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    My picks:

Paul on John's Dear Prudence and George's While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Percussive like crazy from a guy known primarily as a melodic player. More rocking than the Boring Stones on their best day!

Duck Dunn - William Bell's Soul of a Bell. Shows everone else how it's done. Always knows when to lay back and make it sound just as cool as his more complicated runs. No disrespect to Mr. Jamerson (duh), but I think this guy more than anyone else knew what a bass should sound like in a soul music context. I pick this album because as good as The MG's own albums were in their own right, Booker sounded best if he was supporting a great singer. He reigned it in a bit more. And William was as good a singer as Sam and Dave, Otis or anyone else, besides putting out the most consistent yet varied, polished yet raunchy album in Stax history.

Jack Bruce - Never Tell Your Mother She's Out of Tune, Crossroads etc. Just ferocious.

Felix Pappalardi - For Yasgur's Farm, Sitting on a Rainbow etc.. Took Jack's ferocity to the next crazy extreme.

Entwistle - Live at Leeds, Heaven and Hell. Not a great song, but the bass is so harmonically rich it sounds like God is playing it.

Martin Turner - whole Argus album.

5. If there's anybody else here who would have thought of the choices I'm about to name, I'd be shocked to the point of insanity.

I'm a huge fan of Bonnie Pink, and a lot of her music has fantastic basslines. I'm sure plenty of us have had songs we skipped over or didn't pay much attention to until something just clicked one day. This is a classic example of this:

Hohoemi no Kate

I can't listen to this song all the way through, I always end up rewinding and playing it again somwhere just past halfway through. It pretty much takes a distraction to get me off it. Thanks to some help found here, I discovered that the bassist on this track is most likely Tore Johansson, the longtime producer of the Cardigans. I'm still trying to figure out how best to approach catching this tone.

And the other unusual source: the soundtrack for the Playstaton (yes, Playstation, not PS2 or PS3) fighting game, Street Fighter EX+a. SFEX was an arcade game originally, and for the PS1 port, they redid all the music with live instrumentation. The whole soundtrack has quality bass, but there are three songs which are most noteworthy to me:

Sakura Mankai

I don't really know what to say about this one, other than I love it.

Strange Sunset

I want this tone so badly. The smoothness, and the bite. Man. That' sabout the closest as I think I've heard to what I would call my ideal tone.

Under Tube

Another great bassline, full of tasty fretless mwah.

6. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    Almost forgot Roy Wood's ultra modified jazz bass on The Move's Message From the Country. Must be heard to be believed, even if the compositions are not uniformly Wood's or Jeff Lynne's strongest, it is sonically amazing, the bass must be heard to be believed.

7. Hoover

Hoover Inactive

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    a lot of my faves have already been mentioned (eg., nearly any Chris Squire or Tony Levin, John Wetton w/ King Crimson), also a lot that have been mentioned make me scratch my head and go "huh? Really?!?!" but everyone's entitled blah blah blah...

But a couple favorites that I didn't see mentioned:

- Bill Laswell on Herbie Hancock's "Rockit", or Peter Gabriel/Laurie Anderson's "Excellent Birds".

- Alphonso Johnson on "Every Tear From Every Eye" off John McLaughlin's Electric Guitarist album, or "Faceblaster" from his own Spellbound album.

- Ben Orr on "Magic" from The Cars' Heartbeat City album...although I'm not positive that isn't a synthesizer or sampler. But even if it is it's still a killer bass tone!

- Mick Karn, all over his Titles or the Dali's Car album.

8. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Tim Bogert on Vanilla Fudge's "Rock and Roll" album. Especially "Lord in the Country."

9. Re.John Lennon on bass on Helter Skelter.According to 'Revolution in the Head' by Ian Macdonald; Quote "McCartney-vocal,lead guitar,bass:Lennon-backing vocals,lead guitar bass,tenor sax,Harrison-backing vocals,rhythm guitar,Starr-Drums.So there you go.2 bass players,2 lead players.Work that out!

PS Mal Evans - Trumpet!

PPS My favourite bass sound in Tony Levin's on Don't Give Up by Peter Gabriel.

10. NYCBass

NYCBass If it feels good it must be a Jazz Bass Gold Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2006
    Queens NY
    I always loved the tone Chris Squire had on Siberian Khatru

11. RONQUITO

RONQUITO

Dec 27, 2007
    There are MANY....but the one i have ringing in my head is Jesse Vest´s tone on Tantric - Tantric, he´s an Spector user (now that might have something to do with it) and Ampeg abuser.

12. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    I was thinking of Birthday anyway, not Skelter.

I have also read that George, Paul and John all played guitar, bass and drums on Back in the USSR. Odd stuff.

13. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog

Feb 25, 2007
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Queensryche - Empire - Track 4 - Della Brown

Maybe not the best song ever.
    Maybe not the best band ever.

But damn, IMHO that right there is without a doubt THE best bass tone.....ever.

14. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    That was Martin Turner in Wishbone Ash on the album New England :D

15. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Hands down Jack Casady's sound on the Jefferson Airplane album Bless It's Pointed Little Head. These are live recordings from 68 or 69 i believe. The version of "The Other Side Of This Life" which can be found on this album is, in my opinion, the most desiralbe bass sound I've ever heard. It blows my mind!! I won't even try to describe it as words will not do it justice. Please do yourself the service and listen to it if you have not yet.(whether you like the airplane or not)

16. rsrhcp

rsrhcp

Feb 23, 2007
    Cincinnati
    hey Bigsnack, I didn't Flea use a MM for Blood Sugar Sex Magik? I thought he used that Wal on songs like Suck My Kiss, maybe some others, but I thought it was primarily a MusicMan.....anybody know?

17. JOHN ENTWISTLE - Dancin' master from Too late the hero. :)

Alembic Spider played through God Knows What!

TLTH-LP-UK.jpg

18. The bass sound on Ella James by The Move is excellent.

19. KrispyJones

KrispyJones

Dec 3, 2006
    bouncing souls

youtube.com/watch?v=pD2tKAQKphc

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021