1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fEARful cabs....whats the deal???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikenel169, Mar 20, 2013.

1. mikenel169

mikenel169 Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2011
    RI
    Well i have been on a search for a new cab and came across many threads discussing these cabs. What is the deal with them? What makes them so great? Are they good for metal? (typical dumb question thrown in) How does lets say the 15/6 cut in the mix with a loud band. They are pretty pricey from what i hear, are they that worth it?
    Is there a company that actually builds these or are they just DIY. I would love to hear anyone with experience with these cabs.
    Just as an FYI, I typically love 8x10's, 4x12's and 2x15's.

2. mikenel169

Sep 25, 2011
    RI
    thanks, any experience with them?

3. Be prepared for lots of peoples experiences. In all honesty, you should read some of the megathreads. Tone descriptions for days and lots of info on the benefits.

Yes, lots of people metalling it up with fearfuls - although we all have different ideas about what constitutes good tone - ESPECIALLY what constitutes a good tone for metal.

Read the threads - there wouldn't be a more talked about cab (except the 810e maybe) here on talkbass

4. mikenel169

Sep 25, 2011
    RI
    thanks daniel, that fearful faq website aint to easy on the eyes!

5. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    do a simple search here and then sit down and read for a few days....

6. Every bass cab is a set of compromises. fEARful's designer, greenboy, set out to develop a bass cab that worked for extended low tunings with the goal of a FRFR cab that minimizes a lot of those compromises. Initially his plans were DIY, but he has moved on to authorizing select builders to build the fEARful line, as well as his other designs.

The base of his designs is using a hi xMax woofer, the eminence 301xLF's crossed over with a mid driver. This gives the cabs huge lows, detailed highs, and tremendous volume capabilities.

A 15/6 pushed to its peak will have about the same volume output as a standard 610, but the fEARful will go lower.

I have played a lot of cabs, and have owned various size cabs, but nothing will make me go back to a commercial cab.

7. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    or months...or years. ;)

8. mikenel169

Sep 25, 2011
    RI
    thanks CL

9. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
  10. A few threads that I have started in reference to my cabs.

15/6

1515/66/1

12/6/1's

Sorry some of the pics dont work, hosting has shifted.

11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I've played bass for over 30 years and used many, many different commercial bass cabs of all kinds and after I got tired of what was offered there, I used to design my own cabs, back when fEARfuls were in their infancy.

I don't buy commercial cabs or design my own any longer. I play in all kinds of bands and all kinds of genres at all kinds of volumes, with and without PA. And I only use a 15/6 fEARful and it has always delivered any kind of tone I've wanted at any volume I needed.

I will NEVER buy another commercial cab ever again, unless it's to have an authorized fEARful/FEARLESS builder make one for me.

But, that's me.

12. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    Oh - check out the fEARful user map at the bottom of the forum pages - a lot of ff users would let you ample their cab for beer or since you are in RI maybe just save some time and contact this authorized builder as a first step.

http://www.barryaudiodesign.com/

13. mikenel169

Sep 25, 2011
    RI
    wow! thanks everyone for the info

14. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    +1.

Lonnybass

15. mikenel169

Sep 25, 2011
    RI
    ok..................now I want one. I'm thinking if i can find one used, I would pull the trigger. I'm thinking the 15/6 would go perfect with my mesa 400 (non+). I would rather have the 1515/66/1, but money is tight!

16. mikenel169

Sep 25, 2011
    RI
    Now is it possible to get the 15/6 in 4 ohms? or would a single 8 ohm cab do the trick?

17. Nope, single woofer cabs only come in 8 Ohms. Just make sure that plays nice with your tube amp.

I will say, a big tube amp and a '66 is huge sounding.

18. mikenel169

Sep 25, 2011
    RI
    yea thats the one i really want. At 8 ohms I'm thinking my amp with 6550s will run around 110 watts. I wonder if that'll be good enough with the 15/6, playing with a loud tube guitarist and a huge double drum kit.