1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fearful Mid Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mikeee71, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Mikeee71

Mikeee71 Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    I just finished building a 1212/6 cab and the 18 sound mid seems a little overbearing. It seems to amplify every little bit of fret and string noise. Almost like a tweeter would.
    Is there anything I could do to tone in down a bit or maybe take a bit of the high end off it? It has Speaker hardware crossover in it. Whatever comes with 1212/6 kit. Thanks

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    If you have semi para-metric mids, roll off the 900-2k band to taste. I find that cleans up a lot of bass string noise and assorted clacks. Of course, my playing could be improved to clean-up these problems, too. :eek:

3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    You can add resistors to the crossover to pad down (reduce level) of that mid driver. Who did you order your parts from?

4. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    What Jim said. For me it's somewhere around 1500 to 2K that I notch out. Gets rid of the big in-your-face presence while still giving you plenty of clarity in the mids below.

Lonnybass

5. Mikeee71

Sep 6, 2013
    I t was prebuilt from Speaker hardware as part of a 1212/6 build kit!

6. Mikeee71

Sep 6, 2013
    I don't have a parametric Eq I have Streamliner 900 and MBfusion 800

7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Okay. I got those parts from Leland as well. he's a great guy to work with. I made my mid LOUDER by taking resisters OUT of the circuit. You just need to add one or two. Leland will help you get this done if you contact him. If you have a solder gun and get a diagram from him and the parts, you'll be all set.

8. Mikeee71

Sep 6, 2013
    I will do that! I agree Leland has been very helpful through the whole build process!
    Great guy to deal with!

9. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    You can select the highest mid band on the Streamliner and cut it a tad.
    For the Fusion, a combination of dialing in a high mid cut + high cut could do it. :cool:

10. Mikeee71

Sep 6, 2013
    I will give it a try. I am used to playing thru an GB Uber 2x10 and a Uber 1x15
    It just sounds so radically different maybe I just need to get used to it!

11. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Don't be afraid to roll most of the highs and upper mids off.

12. IIRC there is a very strong (+9dB) 4.5 kHz peak in the 18sound mid. A narrow band notch there or a decent low pass at around 3.5 - 4 kHz should help.

Edit: The recent sclift xover looks to be very good at removing this peak area, rolling off the mid before the peak at around 4.0 kHz (IIRC).

13. Mikeee71

Sep 6, 2013
    You mean put a low pass crossover?

14. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    The guys in greenboy's forum may be able to help you.

15. I finished a 15/6 about a month ago. I use it with an Ampeg PF-350 amp. The amp does not have a lot of eq controls. Just Bass, Mid, and Treble. I've found that just turning down the Treble helps get rid of the clank. I also tried turning down Mid, but did not like that, at all. Overall volume dropped. So now, the mid stays up and I just roll down the treble. Also, turning up the Bass just a bit helps that woofer cover up the clank a bit. Combination of Treble down and Bass up took out all of the clank. Season to taste.

16. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    With the portaflex, it is also very important to have the gain set appropriately high.

17. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Yeah, a nasty spike that isn't published at 4.2khz, also another at around 6.2khz. Get rid of the 4.2k with a very narrow notch filter and you'll be good to go.

18. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    Yikes 9db! I'll have to notch that out see how it sounds. Are there any other known eq corrections with the KL3012lf and 18sound mid setup? I'm all for more even sound.

19. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    Having owned and played a lot of cabs with the 18sound mid, I think you should play a stock fEARful before you worry about modifying the design. I do not find them overly heavy in the mids.

What I do find is that they do not mask sloppy playing. You will hear yourself to a degree that most are not used to.