1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Fender Aerodyne Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slaphound, Feb 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Mine is of a similar era. I had horrible hum and I ended up swapping out ‘pups and shielding the cavities.

I dont play mine as much these days but she’s certainly not on the auction block. Far from it, last year I spent a fair amount of coin on (another) pair of replacement pickups.

more details when I clear out my to-do list sufficiently to get around to installing them.

Ed Byrnes likes this.
  2. Ed Byrnes

Ed Byrnes Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Yea, it's the curse of TB. The more I read the more I need! hahaha

3. BoathouseBlues

BoathouseBlues

Dec 6, 2020
    I just got my aerodyne jazz bass yesterday and I already ordered the sd pickups but I want to know how you would describe the badass bridge improvement. I am considering it if it makes a big difference.

DrThumpenstein likes this.
  4. BoathouseBlues

BoathouseBlues

Dec 6, 2020
    May I have a number please?

5. BoathouseBlues

BoathouseBlues

Dec 6, 2020
    20201218_171128.jpg

Bassmike62, 4sight, Kestrel and 10 others like this.
  6. Ed Byrnes

Ed Byrnes Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2015
    BoathouseBlues likes this.
  7. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Living for the groove Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    Gorgeous! I love that color! Looks like you found a nice one.

You digging it so far? I love how 'Dynes play.
    I put in the Hipshot Kickass bridge. Mostly for looks, which I think does look nice. A secondary reason was the ability to adjust the string positions to be more centered over the magnets, thus satisfying my OCD requirements. Also, I was curious whether it would make any difference in tone. I couldn't hear any difference in tone at all. It already had sustain for days with the stock bridge. I had upgraded the pickups earlier, (Geezers) which did make a big difference in tone, at least the J pickup, which was much beefier and growlier.

But the tone didn't change so much as the look with the new bridge. The pickups were already plenty hot and balanced for my needs, so I couldn't hear where aligning the strings changed anything with the tone either. No darker, brighter, hotter, or sustainier (neologism alert:D). It was really easy to install. But it looks like there is a shallow relief for the bridge in yours that mine doesn't have, so you will likely need a different bridge. The Kickass has a larger footprint, so I don't think it will fit in that route.

Here's me wee beauty:
    Aerodyne in case.jpg

I need to ask for a number too, if they are still being granted.

8. BoathouseBlues

BoathouseBlues

Dec 6, 2020
    Oh I love it!
    Ok that helped....I won't replace the bridge.

I love aerodynes....they are light enough for me to.play for 2 or 3 hours at practice and they sit so close to my body and allows me to see what I am doing better. Plus you can't beat that cream binding....

Malak the Mad and DrThumpenstein like this.
  9. emal

emal Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Quebec
    Hi it was more for esthetics than tone..
    Mine looked gnarly
    I do feel I have more sustain but again probably from having a pro adjust it etc.

10. BoathouseBlues

BoathouseBlues

Dec 6, 2020
    It's beautiful! I just got mine yesterday...gun metal blue. Did you keep the stock pickups? Are you loving the light weight?

11. BoathouseBlues

BoathouseBlues

Dec 6, 2020
    Hi! I am about to buy the GOTOH ones for mine. Do they fit without modification? Are they the res o lites?Do they tune better and hold time better, or are they at least as good at the stocktuners but lighter of course?

12. OlieBass

OlieBass

Jul 26, 2020
    Since others are asking for numbers, could I be added to that list too? :)

13. emal

emal Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Quebec
    I used these GB10 - G-GOTOH

no mods or holes to do, they just drop in
    I wanted to have black keys, and yes they are lighter
    I found them or a VERY good price.

Attached Files:

BoathouseBlues likes this.
  14. emal

emal Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Quebec
    I want to change the knobs too to complete the look. Where did you get yours if you don't mind me askingÉ

DrThumpenstein likes this.
  15. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Living for the groove Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    I think they are regular Gibson knobs that I got on Amazon. I upgraded the pickups/pots to EMG geezers and I had to work to get them on the shafts, but they do look nice!

BoathouseBlues and emal like this.
  16. I got my first Aerodyne about two weeks ago. Export, black, nekkid...you know the drill. I'm getting it set up tomorrow with Dunlop steel rounds. To this point, it's playable, barely. The pups were dialed right up to the strings,so it clipped something awful the first time I plugged it in. I dealt with that, and started on the neck. It needed relief, so I gave it two quarter turns over two nights. It was enough, but I'm not going any further with it myself. I'll let the pro handle that. Anyway, I've been looking at bridges (and stalking this thread from O.P.) and I think I've settled on the Hipshot Kickass. It would appear in more recent posts that a few of you guys have warmed up to it. Pics to come, after the setup. Cheers!

17. TCabrera

TCabrera

Dec 23, 2018

I have a horrible buzz too, I have the import with no pick guard. I was about to do the shielding of the cavities, but I have run into a problem, the foam under the pick ups are glued to the cavities. Did anyone else run into this? And what did you do to get around this problem?

18. I pulled foam out, scraped it clean with a razor scraper. I was replacing pickups at the same time I was shielding.

Shielded the cavities with foil tape & used stainless braid mesh sleeves to shield the signal cables back to the pots.

19. emal

emal Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Quebec
    For 2021 my goal is to get a non export cherry red.
    Hopefully I'll save enough
    But for now I lovey Aerodyne!

Attached Files:

DrThumpenstein and Malak the Mad like this.
  20. Lucky Chuck

Lucky Chuck Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2019
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    Hey, that export model doesn't have the Strat-style jack -- it shows a right angle plug. When did they come that way?

Malak the Mad likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021