1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Aerodyne Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slaphound, Feb 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Living for the groove Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    I did it about a year ago. Dead easy upgrade and well worth it. No mods necessary.

The J is much quieter and beefier and the P is also a little bit of an improvement, although I liked the stock P pickup just fine.

2. OlieBass

OlieBass

Jul 26, 2020
    I’m keeping the pickups the way that they are since I really like them. As someone who DI’s a lot and doesn’t have a fancy amp, I’ve found that a little help from a Sansamp Bass Driver DI brings out the sound of the instrument and its now really beefy.

3. Reckless666

Reckless666

Jun 28, 2020
    I’ve just put Black beauties on my Aerodyne but not before I tried Rortosounds new Nexus black strings.
    What a disaster they turned out to be.
    The first set had the coating coming off after week or so of playing.
    After waiting another month for them to make crappy excuses and asking stupid questions
    like what pick do I use and do I have long fingernails, like seriously!
    I finally got some from “another batch” and guess what?
    The coating started coming off after one, yes one song.
    The coating was actually coming off on my fingers.
    At $100 a pack it’s just not good enough.
    Never will I try them again and I’d suggest you don’t either.
    The Black beauties look amazing on the Black Aerodyne but I’ve yet to play them.
    Fingers crossed

4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

From my experience with Black Beauties, I can attest that with modest use the frets will scrub small spots off the strings. That's not to say the coating is flying off in huge pieces, just a little buffing away where they're getting pressed against the frets.

What's funny is I have a set of Rotosound Nexus coated strings on my Aerodyne, but since it gets very infrequent use their coating is still intact. Still, if I start using it in heavier rotation, I'll keep an eye on the coating. Then again, if it is an issue with this-or-that batch, my results may be different since I put them on a couple of years ago.

The reason I didn't keep up with using the Black Beauties is because I thought their sound was inconsistent. The first set I installed sounded great, but successive sets proved to be less than impressive. I used to think it was a "made on a Friday" issue and that later batches weren't made with the same care, or perhaps something was subtly compromising the coating at the factory level. Nowadays, though, I've been wondering if I was twisting the strings too much when mounting them. It's something I've learned about very recently and have been taking steps to counteract during setups and string installations.

One last thing, where on Earth does a set of Nexus strings cost $100?! o_O

5. filler83

filler83

Jan 5, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    Question about fret size:

Specs on the export model say medium jumbo.

But what is fret size on the non-export aerodyne jazzes pj that have pick guard, metal plate, and matching headstock? Are they vintage, medium jumbo, or vary by year?

Thanks

6. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    it looks like:
    AJB-DX and AJB: vintage
    AJB-M: wide oval
    2011 catalog
    twang_2011_33.jpg

filler83 likes this.
  7. filler83

filler83

Jan 5, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    Thank you!!!

hypercarrots likes this.
  8. Reckless666

Reckless666

Jun 28, 2020
    They cost $95AUD in Melbourne.
    That’s why I got posed about the coating coming off so soon.

9. Warren Wade

Warren Wade

Jun 26, 2020
    Late to the party from across the pond in the UK. Here's my Aerodyne. Modifications; Bartolini 8S + 9J pickups, Audere 2 Band Vol/Bal Preamp (no extra routing whatsoever), Hipshot bridge, Tusq nut and John East Fender Style Knobs (concentric included).

Attached Files:

10. Malak the Mad

Stealthy! :cool: :thumbsup:

So, about that Audere pre…my eyes aren't deceiving me and there's enough room for the pots, module and battery in that wee lil' control route, ja?

DrThumpenstein likes this.
  11. Warren Wade

Warren Wade

Jun 26, 2020
    Stealthy indeed! Enough room by a gnat's weiner for a two band Audere pre with all the necessaries. I believe an EMG will fit, but you need their pickups. With the Audere you can wire any brand passive pickups.

It sounds great too.

12. P Cheen

P Cheen formerly Jaxon5 Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Sacramento, CA
    Hey all,

After lusting for an Aerodyne for most of my bass-playing life, I finally splurged on one.
    I was hoping if you can shed some light about it. It should arrive on Wednesday:

73679B9B-4F79-48F3-AD06-A51C77545A58.jpeg

9D456C78-ADF3-4BDF-8A5F-3B2228E3E3D9.jpeg

It says Made in Japan and serial number is U + 6 digits. A quick search yields made in 2010-2011. What finish is this exactly? Is this the Dolphin or the Gunmetal?

13. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    dolphin

P Cheen likes this.
  14. P Cheen

Apr 4, 2015
    Sacramento, CA
    Thank you! Was this made at the Fujigen plant or someplace else?

hypercarrots likes this.
  15. P Cheen

Apr 4, 2015
    Sacramento, CA
    That’s excellent news. I’m probably getting this Audere upgrade as well.
    For pickups I’m waiting for the new Aguilar DCB-4PJ set to release.

16. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    I'm not sure where they are made as far as terada, fujigen, etc. maybe @Malak the Mad would know.
    I'm more knowledgeable of the colors.
    UGB (US Gunmetal Blue) - tricky to photograph. i have a MIM jazz in this color and it looks a lot like the 1st picture below. more pictures here 2010 Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass PJ Gunmetal Blue Japan MIJ w/ Gigbag
    v
    mlrcpxkseagd5fioqmw4.jpg
    most photos of UGB online look like this. washed out. it can look like this in certain light.
    v
    rt_132071_02.jpg

DFG (Dolphin Gray) - lighter and hardly any blue tone. more of a warmer color.
    xj8aboltn1gifowk9xhl.jpg

GMB (GunMetal Blue) - much darker. much more blue. one of my favorite modern fender colors.
    _200229152711_Epi%203_full.jpg
    51DE5PGfcYL.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg

17. P Cheen

Apr 4, 2015
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks a bunch for educating me. I agree the GMB looks very premium, reminds me of the Ultras.

Am I right to assume all Aerodynes have a 7.25” fretboard radius?

18. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    don't know why this one should be different and maybe the listed specs are wrong but it says 9.5"
    Fender MIJ FSR Aerodyne Jazz Bass Sienna Sunburst

19. Malak the Mad

I appreciate the nod, but to be honest, I haven't researched which factories line up with any particular year. That's a gap in my research I'll have to fill in the future. :bookworm:

One other thing I didn't know until you mentioned it is the difference between UGB and GMB. I knew there was a darker, more primal blue used on certain models, like the J/J configured DiMarzio Aerodynes, but I never came across it's name until now. Many Thanks, dude! :thumbsup:

20. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    all 3 are shown on this catalog page i posted earlier too

Malak the Mad likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021