1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Fender Aerodyne Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slaphound, Feb 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

What can I say? I was an art student for many years, so aesthetics play a big part in how I see and interact with the world around me. That being said…yeah, it's only a minor point. The jack plate may be wildly incongruous, but it's not something that would be visible all the time, maybe in photographs or upon close inspection. If, and that's really stretching the concept of "if", I were to get one of the black models, I'd probably replace the chrome jack plate with a black one to blend in a bit better. Easy-breezy…no fuss, no muss. ;)

Oh, yeah! If I had one (again, a big "if"), I would be incredibly tempted to mount an Aerodyne neck on it. Come to think about it, I'd probably go all-out and give it Jazz style knobs and a black/cream/black, black pearloid or black abalone pickguard. AxLvOTH.gif

As for it's street price, it looks like the price varies between $1,250 to $1,400USD, depending on which color one gets. Having bought a bass from Ishibashi once before, it's possible their Value Added Tax (VAT) may not apply to overseas purchases. The retailer would know for sure, but if that's the case, it would end up shaving a little bit off the shipping costs. Once the final price is worked out, I would expect to be paying about as much as an American-made Fender.

2. Malak the Mad

After this, I'll do my best to keep to all things "Aerodyne", but since we've been discussing the MIJ Modern Jazz bass, here's a demo. The actual playing starts at the 4:00 mark.

3. P Cheen

P Cheen formerly Jaxon5 Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Sacramento, CA
    Since the Aerodyne body is a bit curved (like the Spector NS curve but a lot subtler), would you ‘Dyne experts say that the pickups are closer to the strings than a regular flat-top Jazz?
    I’m ready to pull the trigger on an EMG PJX set but afraid the output might be way too hot because A.) active pickups and B.) the pickups would sit closer to the strings by virtue of the body construction.

Hope that made sense.

4. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    people usually put emg pickups closer to the strings than passive pickups anyway.
    i don’t think the aerodyne body shape puts the pickups any closer.

DrThumpenstein likes this.
  5. Interspace Station

Interspace Station Director at THE SPACEPORT Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    New York
    The shape of the Aerodyne is nowhere near as extreme of a curve as a Spector NS, feels comfortably like a jazz with pretty normal pickup heights. If anything, the bridge on most (if not all?) Aerodynes sits a tad lower than a standard jazz, so the strings may actually be a bit closer to the pickups because of that rather than the body curve. The P pickup in my non-export is pretty low, almost flush with the pickguard, to balance out volume levels with the J at the bridge.

6. P Cheen

Apr 4, 2015
    Sacramento, CA
    I apologize for that, I just couldn’t think of another similarly-shaped guitar or bass. Anyway, yes, my non-export also came in the same state with the P pickups almost being flush with the pickguard and still is louder than the J pickup.
    I’m just worried about this imbalance with an EMG set.

I’ve owned a couple PJs in the past, and I don’t think the disparity between the 2 pickups has ever been this pronounced.

7. Interspace Station

Interspace Station Director at THE SPACEPORT Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    New York
    No apologies needed, sorry if that sounded more aggressive than intended! Funny you and I seem to be in the same spaces on TB (Spector and Aerodyne yes!), and being new to Spectors myself it just seemed like a somewhat drastic comparison lol!

Not sure how an active set will balance out compared to the stock pups in the Aero, but as @hypercarrots mentioned, it may be you need those EMGs closer to the strings anyway. Pretty sure that won't be difficult to accomplish. Good luck if you go for it, I'd be curious to hear how that turns out!

8. P Cheen

Apr 4, 2015
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah! Unfortunately I sold my Spector NS Pulse but I definitely plan to get a Euro4 of some sort as my next Spector. Hopefully next year. I was just remembering how much gain I had to cut on my amp to accommodate the Spector but then I remember the Aerodyne will not have a TonePump! Haha.

Interspace Station likes this.
  9. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    that would be cool to put a tone pump in it though

10. Malak the Mad

There was one that popped up on the TB Classifieds. Based solely upon the good press TonePumps and Spectors get on the forum, I thought about grabbing it for my newest Projekt. Someone grabbed it before I could think much about it, though. That, and I'm probably gonna go with a simple, 2-band active preamp with passive tone control anyway.

11. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Living for the groove Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    The pickup heights are adjustable so it really shouldn’t be an issue. l put the (passive) EMG Geezer Butlers in my Dyne and it was a definite upgrade. There’s always a sweet spot with any pickup height. l try to dial it in to get it as hot as I can without too much distortion/wobbliness to the output.

The bridge/string/neck alignment is all along the same height or peak of the curve. l haven’t found the Aerodyne to be any harder or easier to adjust the pickup heights than my J or any other basses I have owned. l expect you’ll have no difficulty with this.

NoSlapForYou likes this.
  12. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Aerodyne.jpg

Attached Files:

FFFH242, Nekomata, mike_f and 6 others like this.
  13. NoSlapForYou

NoSlapForYou

Jan 9, 2019
    Durham, NC
    Love it. I have my black Aerodyne and a gunmetal blue Aerodyne. Is that the dolphin gray one? I would like one of those and one of the candy apple red ones and my collection will be complete.

14. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    You got it, it's dolphin gray! A very nice colour with a little bit of flake.

I took this bass on a test drive at band practice last night. It sounded great, felt great, and the bandmates were gushing over it. A very beautiful bass.

NoSlapForYou and Malak the Mad like this.
  15. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    there are 2 gunmetals (ugb and gmb) and white
    twang_2011_33.jpg

Skillet likes this.
  16. Eric Huber

Eric Huber

Aug 20, 2019
    Baltimore
    Ahhh its beautiful. Love the color! Enjoy!

17. NoSlapForYou

NoSlapForYou

Jan 9, 2019
    Durham, NC
    Well, there are also a bunch of rare colors not shown there. I'm just trying to get the four most common colors. And I have the darker gunmetal, btw.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  18. DustyBottom

DustyBottom

Oct 21, 2019
    Alaska
    I have serious GAS over this one! Could not justify it at the time it was available but wish I could have....
    DBA2F997-C8BE-4C44-B008-976A7D6ACE62.jpeg

19. Malak the Mad

Just a little FYI, I have an upgraded, Dolphin Grey Aerodyne that I'll likely be parting with sometime in the future. I'll be sure to post a note about it if/when I post it in the Classifieds.

20. NoSlapForYou

NoSlapForYou

Jan 9, 2019
    Durham, NC
    Well, if it happens to coincide with when I get my tax return, I will be all over it.

Malak the Mad likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021