1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Aerodyne Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slaphound, Feb 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

That is something I can answer! Most Aerodynes have the curvier radius. Before Fender-Japan was taken over by FMIC back in 2015, the only model I know for certain that had a 9.5" radius was the rare and elusive five-string AJB-V. But nowadays, FMIC has spawned what they're calling the "Aerodyne II". One of it's features is a fretboard radius that's more in-line with Fender's rank & file models.

As for the Siennaburst 'Dynes, I fully understand that they are a limited edition FSR variant, but still…an Aerodyne with a modern-radius'd fretboard AND a plain, unpainted headstock?! That's just sick and wrong, man…like, wrong-sick! :thumbsdown:

It is my great and sincere hope that Fender is not heading down the path of bland-erizing and homogenizing their Japanese basses to the point where they're practically indistinguishable from their American and Mexican-made cousins. :rollno:

On a related note, one thing that might catch people's interest is what Fender is calling the "Made In Japan Modern Jazz Bass". Looking at the specs, it's curious blend of design/hardware and it's price-point, it's like they took parts of the Aerodyne concept and turned it into Japan's equivalent of our American Ultra Jazz.
    • Body Material Alder
    • Body Finish Polyester
    • Neck Maple, Compound Back Shape, Modern “C” to “D”
    • Neck Finish Satin Polyurethane
    • Fingerboard Selected Rosewood, 9.5” to 14” Compound Radius (241 mm-355.6 mm)
    • Frets 21, Medium Jumbo
    • Position Inlays Ivory Dot (Selected Rosewood)
    • Nut (Material/Width) Bone, 1.5” (38.1 mm)
    • Tuning Machines Vintage Style
    • Scale Length 34” (864 mm)
    • Bridge 4-Saddle HiMass Vintage (String-Through-Body or Topload)
    • Pickguard 1-Ply Black (324), 3-Ply Aged White Pearl (306, 323, 362), 3-Ply Parchment (384)
    • Pickups 4th Generation Noiseless (Bridge), 4th Generation Noiseless (Middle), (Neck)
    • Pickup Switching 2-Way Mini Toggle Switch for Active/Passive Mode. In Passive Mode, Only The Volume,Pan and Passive Tone Controls Function. In Active Mode, All Controls Function.
    • Controls Master Volume, Pan Pot (Pickup Selector), Treble Boost/Cut, Midrange Boost/Cut, Bass Boost/Cut, Active/Passive Mini Toggle
    • Hardware Finish Chrome
    321837600-4653_2_l.jpg

321837600-4653_1_l.jpg

Generally, I'd call it "an interesting idea". My only gripes are the chrome knobs over the classic Jazz-style controls and the football-style jack plate that looks like it was clumsily slapped over the binding. While I personally prefer that style of jack, for such a tiny amount of space, I feel a smaller, flush-mounted jack would look better. :eyebrow:

2. Malak the Mad

I just realized that FMIC missed an obvious opportunity. Rather than giving it the bland name of "MIJ Modern Jazz Bass", they should've dubbed it the "Fender Ultradyne"! :smug:

(Yo, FMIC…I'll be waiting for my royalty checks, yo!! :greedy:)

3. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    i remember i posted those when they first came out and i think it was you that thought the aerodynes were going away and this was an awful replacement. have to look for that post.
    what year did aerodynes start? for some reason i had the idea that they had really flat fretboard radius so i was surprised to see them all at 7.25". i was thinking maybe the first ones came out with a flatter radius. i think it was somewhere around 2005. i was really interested in getting one because of the body shape but i never did.

4. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    i'm waiting for the active/passive model: Fender Cyberdyne

5. Malak the Mad

It's quite possible I mistook the MIJ Modern Jazz for the Aerodyne II line.

They started production in somewhere in 2003, were unveiled at Winter NAMM 2003 and started hitting most shelves in 2004. All of this was during the "Crafted In Japan" era.

6. Warren Wade

Warren Wade

Jun 26, 2020
    Check out the feed from Fettbass on TB re; installation of Audere Preamp with Aerodyne Jazz.

7. Shirobon

Shirobon

Jun 16, 2020
    Belgium
    It's either Dyna Gakki or Tokai. Terada only does acoustic instruments.

hypercarrots likes this.
  8. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2008
    New Hampshire
    thumbs way down on that 'football' jack.

Malak the Mad likes this.
  9. Malak the Mad

I know, right?! If I had one...which, upon a little reflection, doesn’t sound like a terrible sitch to be in...I would go out of my way to replace it with just about any other jack, even if it exposes the the two empty screw-holes.

10. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    a small rectangular one would look nice. i like the side jacks on my ernie balls and yamahas. i think football shapes look weird there on anything. barrel jacks look nice but fail too often on the ibanezes i have.
    rickenbackers always looked classy
    upload_2017-10-9_14-9-55-jpeg.jpg

11. Malak the Mad

Hmmm...I’m not sure how I feel about the plate covering up the binding. It feels “intrusive” to my eyes. :unsure:

12. Lucky Chuck

Lucky Chuck Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2019
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    But surely "less" intrusive than that football, yes?

13. P Cheen

P Cheen formerly Jaxon5 Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Sacramento, CA
    Anybody know if those EMG preamp systems can fit without modifications? I was thinking the EMG BTC with the concentric bass and treble knobs.

14. Love and Japan

Love and Japan

Jan 16, 2021
    I didn't see your comment until now. The width is 1.5". What does that indicate?

15. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    i was curious if it had jazz nut width or precision.

16. P Cheen

Apr 4, 2015
    Sacramento, CA
    Got my Aerodyne tonight– easily spent 2 hours on it in front of my Microtubes 500 V2 (I wish I still had my Magellan 800 lol).

Very minimal setup from out of the box, and it’s in great condition considering the bad pack job it received from an “esteemed” Reverb seller based in Portland, OR. Oh well...

Anyway:
    D68DEEA3-B294-44E9-9F5E-97E2541AC134.jpeg

I’m a big fan of the neck! Both the thickness and the fingerboard radius. The vintage frets are sweet too!

The only cons I’ve observed (and i’m nitpicking) are the pickups and the tone knob. Feels a little lifeless but I was planning to swap ‘em out for some EMG PJXs. I guess I’m still on my Spector hangover after recently selling one of mine.

17. mike_f

mike_f

Jun 6, 2016
    Do it. You cant do anything wrong when upgrading with EMGs. Did it recently on my 2016 AM Pro. It‘s a dream machine now. Worth every penny.

P Cheen likes this.
  18. P Cheen

Apr 4, 2015
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks! My first option was the new DCB-PJ from Aguilar, but apparently they’re a rare gem right now with all the pre-orders gone for the March run. So EMG it is! I just hope there’s enough room for the battery.

19. Looking at the specs and the pics, I like what I'm seeing, just as it is. Depending on the preamp, I might even like the 'noiseless' pickups, which I usually don't care for.

The compound radius'd neck is nice, but an assymetric shape would be more appealing to me. Or white neck binding for better sighting.

I'd rather have the football plate then the notoriously unreliable barrel jack. That it partially covers the binding seems to be really stretching for something (anything!) to not like about the bass.

Looks-wise, this is the first bass I've seen with a pearl guard that doesn't look like a pimp's bass (no offense to pimps). Looks pretty nice, actually. If it had a matching headstock it'd be perfect! What's the street price?

20. Shirobon

Shirobon

Jun 16, 2020
    Belgium
    +1. Mine had to be replaced already. The worse part is, it's a Switchcraft one from the factory.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021