Fender American Original Series Successor?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by antfarm, Apr 15, 2022.

1. antfarm

antfarm

Oct 2, 2017
    What will replace the Fender American Original series, and when?

My guess: At NAMM, Fender will announce a new series of more accurately vintage spec'd instruments, copying the models of specific years.

Effectively reverting the changes from the AVRI to the AO line. Apple did the same with ditching the touchbar and adding back ports on their new MacBook Pro's. Sometimes going back is a step forward.

Interested in what you guys think or know.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    murphy and DirkP like this.
  2. frublazej

frublazej

Mar 27, 2020
    I think they will update it with maybe 70s Jbass with rosewood board, maybe.

Crusher47 and avri62 like this.
  3. tvbop

tvbop

Mar 11, 2021
    The one bass they have never done. Early 70's P bass, burst or natural or black....Baseball bat neck. Standard nut with totally correct tort, about 8.5 pounds. In other words an exact copy of an early 70's P bass with correct bridge position. Id buy immediately.
    My CV,70's P has a chunky neck and its fantastic in the hand.

4. frublazej

frublazej

Mar 27, 2020
    I asked my local 7ender rep. He said there was shortage of AO series in Europe in February-April window, but after that it will be huge shipping in the end of April.

Following that he said, there will be no production in April (as it's planned) before NAMM, but should be production stop whatsoever in MAY if there is a plan for new series/series update.

He confirmed me that, he ordered another batch of AO for June/July so it's some kind of suggestion that AO in this form will be still in production.

Hope this helps a lot ;)

mikewalker, Ricky Rioli and antfarm like this.
  5. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I predict that the new line will be called the American Original Vintage Professional Player Performer Elite III Series.

MYLOWFREQ, SteveCS, Ghastly and 33 others like this.
  6. Grinderman

Grinderman

Dec 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    This begs questions. What's the step forward, by going back, look like or about really?

Does that mean whatever '57, '58, or '59 Precision bass they put out will get the hootenanny button again? (touchbar?)

Will that mean bringing back the pickups with raised/staggered A position pole magnets? (ethernet port?)

Is lacquer clear top coat on the gold anodized aluminum 10-hole pickguard forward or backward? (space grey or silver?)

Is that '60 Jazz bass with summing resistors and the felt muting system? (floppy diskette drive?)

Are slab rosewood fretboards a step forward? (USB ports?)

Or is this mainly about 7-1/4"R and 6230 versus 9-1/2"R with 6150?

Posted From My Late 2021 16" Apple MacBook Pro

davidchampoux, TrevorG and mikewalker like this.
  7. antfarm

antfarm

Oct 2, 2017

I was referring to the not so vintage correct specs that people most complain about: fretboard radius, fret size and finish. Also, going back to year specific reissues instead of the "best of the decade" approach.

fergbass and FenderOli like this.
  8. Grinderman

Grinderman

Dec 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I don't see these as being a step forward or back issues. They're preference pertaining essentially to playability and they're rather minor at that.

Finish difference are about superficial preference too and a lot of people don't apparently even know the facts of what they think they prefer. e.g. "nitro" Not really a forward vs backward practical concern either, IMO.

I see more concern about romance here than functional or practical preferences.

Ghastly likes this.
  9. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Agreed, I really want a 70s Precision in Natural. Id also like to see a 65 Precision.

10. Glazenn

Glazenn

May 16, 2011
    France
    Corrected : U.S. American Original Vintage Professional Player Performer Elite III Series (insert Deluxe wherever you want).
    There was nothing better than the AVRI Series, except the Custom Shop.

11. Bass4ThePublic

Bass4ThePublic Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Kansas City
    I sure hope so. I'd love to see a 65 P and a Dot/Bound 66 J

12. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    Cancel the Original series, and introduce an identical Fender American Primogeniture series at 125% the price

13. Ace Of Bass

Ace Of Bass A Rooster Illusion

Jun 27, 2006
    DMV
    Omg…this..

tvbop likes this.
  14. Shorelinegold

Shorelinegold

Jan 5, 2017
    All things considered, I'd rather be in Philly
    No one in their right mind would pay me to endorse them....
    How thick were the AVRI P Bass necks compared to the AO P Bass necks? Always looking for baseball bat necks, myself.

15. Grinderman

Grinderman

Dec 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I don't know but I'm sure the answer depends on Fender's specs for whatever given year of production and whether the AVRI P is a '57, '58, '62, or '63.

I guess you're more likely interested in AVRI '57 or '58 vs AO '50s?

If it's a fat '50s P bass neck you're seeking then I suggest a 1-pc C width neck from Musikraft with a fat C 1" 1" profile or maybe the soft V to C .88" .95".

16. dave hope

dave hope

Dec 16, 2016
    Why not build the best quality American Fender bass ever made? And for under $1,500?

They have the specs because they’ve built it before. Why else is everyone looking back? I love bass. But we are talking about an instrument that can fall off the back of a pickup and still be in tune.
    Oops, that would stunt sales eventually. Imagine having the best model after all the mutations out there by Fender. That could possibly be the collapse of the new/used bass market.

marchone and lizardking837 like this.
  17. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Nashville TN
    If they went back to the quality of the 58 and 63 p basses I’d buy one of each. I feel the originals were a step down in quality from the previous versions

18. Captain Ray

Captain Ray

Mar 20, 2021
    Not sure it's a step down in quality, just different. I prefer the neck on the American Original. I played a few AVRI's, and while they were awesome, I didn't feel like they were step up other than specs for someone who cared about that.

19. Hard to foretell. They let the American Vintage Series unchanged for 4 decades (1982-2012). A 62 P, a 57 P, a 62 Jazz. The only change made was a '75 Jazz Bass added during the 90s.
    It was very popular. You would hardly see any pro with a contemporary Fender Bass, at least far more - if they didn't use real vintage stuff - with one of these vintage reissues.

Then they changed to the Pure Vintage Series in 2012 or 2013. A 63 P, a 58 P, a 64 Jazz and a '74 Jazz. This was a bit more expensive and vintage correct than the previous series, the most noticable change: the clay dots. My favorite US Fender basses.

Then after just about 4 or 5 years, the American Originals superseded the American Vintage Series.

They are a bit more streamlined and a bit less expensive. If one likes the features (the contemporary neck shapes), they are as good as the AVS instruments. But the reasons for the change, I assume, were purely economical: it is cheaper in production costs to use the same necks/neck shapes on all instruments. Another detail: even in the AVS series they changed from a '75 Jazz (that was rather a '78 Jazz, at least the decal) to a '74 Jazz: no more three bolt necks with the neck heel attachment system).

My assumptions: the late AVS series was too expensive for the targeted customers and in production to sell them to enough players, but so close to the Custom Shop instruments, that they were hurting the Custom Shop sales while not producing enough sales among "ordinary" or not so rich customers.
    Just think about it: since the AVS series was stopped, you had to pay at least 3.000,- - rather much more - to get a vintage accurate US made Fender bass.

Don't have a clue if the AVS series will come back or not. Another assumption: the younger players don't care too much about accuracy, they want good instruments that look great. The colors are more important than the details, as long as those don't get in the way of playability or sound.
    And - although the late AVS series are my favorite Fender instruments - I hate the clay dots!!! I want to see where I am playing on a dark stage....

My three late AVS series basses. The two '64 Jazz Basses are even rare among those, the Daphne one with a matching headstock was a limited run and never part of the official series and the Lake Placid Blue one with a matching headstock was only available for one year:

2020-01-30 13.27.09_Fender American Vintage Series Jazz Daphne.jpg

20. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Nashville TN
    I feel the originals I’ve played don’t have the same warmth of the old models. Something about them they feel more like toys/plastic is the best way I can describe them. Thats obviously just my opinion. I would like to see a more authentic nitro finish come back as they did change that

armybass and Rocknroller4 like this.