1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Bassman TV combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by badboy1984, Apr 14, 2010.

1. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    played the 15. hot. very hot. sounds pretty much like a bassman thru a 15 to me.

3. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Would this amp get me that old school bass tone when using passive p bass with flats?

I'm looking for a decent combo to haul around with and this seems to fit my purpose. Cost wise might be abit high but the size is not that big and it may sound pretty decent.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    yep. it'll do it. probably one of the best new combos for old school.

5. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I take it the 15" will fit the job better than the 2x10 for old school sound.

6. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I played one when buying a bass. Fender bass amps are over shadowed by the competition. For a combo bass amp, I would go for one If I were buying a combo. The 15" is better . :cool:

7. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    thats great advice guys, i think i will save up and buy the 15" combo and enjoy some old school tone.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    haven't heard it myself. i think they both would, but for some reason, 210's always sound thin to me. must be because they usually use smaller boxes than the 115.

9. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    After listen to this, i'm definate GASing for one. Tone wise is pleasing.

10. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    i'm really consider selling my whole rig for the combo. The 350 watt version.

I still love my littlemark 250 but i also like this combo. My room can only fit either the rig or the combo.

Not sure if I shall sell the Markbass Little Mark 250, Ashdown MAG210 and Ashdown MAG115 for the Fender Bassman TV combo.

or

save up and use the money to upgrade the cabs instead. either 2x 15" cab or some 4x10 cabs.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    i love the original little mark series amps. not too familiar with ashdown cabs. only a decision you could make, but if it were me, i'd probably try to make what i have work.

12. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I have the TV-12 -- got a great deal on it at $650.00 shipped brand new. It sounds incredibly old school and that passive tone stack really nails the old school Fender tone. The TV-12 is only 150 watts but it is surprisingly loud. It wouldn't be enough for a loud rock band, though, but the TV-15 might. For lower volume gigs the TV-12 rocks, and it is fairly light and portable too. btw, I had the opportunity to pick up a NOS B-15R, and I played it quite a bit before buying the TV-12. The TV-12 is louder and has more bottom that the B-15R, and to my ears sounds quite a bit better. It's a bonus that that look great too!

13. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Is a really hard decision to make. Obviously the Ashdown MAG cab is not that great because its very cheap and doesn't sound too great.

14. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Greenfield, WI.
    I sold my Eden rig (800C and two D112XLTs) and downsized to the to the 350 Watt Bassman TV Duo 210. I needed to free up cash so I could buy my old Ric 4003 back.

I auditioned it with my 09 AM Std JB in the store among GK, SWR, GB and Mesa combos. I was blown away by its organic smooth tone. I never considered my Edens harsh, they were very clear and natural. It's just that the Fender Bassman was so much smoother at the "flat" 2/10/2 passive tone settings. When I turn up the bass tone control, it remains smooth. No honks or farts. It sits on top of the bass drum nicely and cuts through bottom of the guitars clean. When I solo the back pickup with the JB's tone turned way down, with the volume cranked, the mwah is loud, growly and in your face. I ended up buying one from a TB'r in the classifieds.

I was concerned though that it wouldn't cover the clank of my Rick. I play both basses through the a Pod X3 Live and one of my settings emulates a Chris Squire tone through an Ampeg SVT/810 model. I was shocked that even without a tweeter, the Fender Bassman nails the chains rattling in a 55 gallon drum tone, too. I run a toaster on the Ric and the low end is deep and clear.

Fender has really done some R&D on this thing. It's obviously not a monster rig but at reasonable stage volumes it's amazing. This new band I'm auditioning for would prefer the bass go direct so I think I'm good to go for now. It will be my monitor and not have to cover the house.

I will go back to an 800C and a 410XST when I can afford it but for now, I am very pleased with this Fender.

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I played through all of these at Winter NAMM, and I was really impressed. The TV12 was my favorite (and Bobby Vega's, too). We both loved the punch and cut of the 1x12. They were all quite nice, though.

Tom.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    well in that case, maybe i would consider bagging your rig. not really familiar with what ashdown stuff is which...i figured you had the better ashdown stuff.

17. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    I have the TV Ten and love it. My local music store had a brand new TV 12 they could not move, so I am getting it for $500! Great amps.

18. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    is good that the Fender Bass TV is getting good comment and review here.

Look like i need to think about what i want to do now. Sell the rig and get the combo or upgrade the existing cab to something better.

19. Ed could make anything sound like it's worth $7,000,000.

20. It's funny how just a few months ago, when these were brand new, tons of people were expressing extreme disappointment at the specs and price (it's not all tube, it's a hybrid!! Useless!!!)... But a few people were like "just wait and see, try them out before passing a judgement."