1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Elite owners. Still happy? NBD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ooba Tooba, Nov 8, 2019.

1. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I think they need more time.

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Mine are going nowhere. Still love em, still gig them every weekend.

90DCC258-AA2C-4231-8524-28BB4E41028F.

3. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Still loving my Elite

View attachment 3589342

Although I swapped out the preamp with a Sadowsky.

I also really dig the new Ultras. Played one today and it’s the first Fender that I didn’t want to swap out anything - except maybe the bridge. The Elite bridge is better.

lowdownthump and Ooba Tooba like this.
  4. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Happened to pop in to my favorite local shop the day after the Elites were announced. They had several. I am not interested in modern features or electronics, but I have to say that the metallic sunbursts looked awesome!

5. jhm2112

jhm2112

Apr 27, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I still love my Elite Jazz. It’s a 2017, excellent condition, and I got it for $1100. I’m done with GAS.

6. No, not happy

7. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I recently got a great deal on a used American Elite Jazz Bass in Olympic White. It's my first active Fender and has become my main utility bass. I usually play it in passive mode, but the preamp is nice to have when you need a boost or are playing through less than stellar backline. It's a fine addition to my modest collection.

- Steve

Attached Files:

8. DanGroove

DanGroove

Apr 27, 2017
    Texas
    I am still happy with the aspects of my Elites that I was happy with to start. I love the neck. They feel great. I like everything about the wood and steel aspect of the instruments.

Some people don’t like the preamp. I can’t say i had a problem with the preamp in my Jazz V, but when I had to replace it and Fender couldn’t ship one for over 4 months, THAT had me upset. I like the sound of the pickups in my Jazz, but they are not “noiseless” and the buzz from them bothered me a lot. Since I put a John East preamp in the bass it is less but still present. I’m considering a set of Nordstrand instead.

I also have a Precision Elite and I am happy with the sound of the Precision pickup. The bridge pickup has the same buzz of the ones in my Jazz V. If the preamp in it ever fails I will probably go after market like I ended up doing with the Jazz when Fender couldn’t ship the replacement.

As for peoples complaint about the lack of passive tone knob, what they mean is that the passive tone knob does not have any effect in active mode, where many of the aftermarket preamps have a passive tone control that still has an effect in active mode.

lowdownthump likes this.
  9. DanGroove

DanGroove

Apr 27, 2017
    Texas
    Also, I mentioned the failed preamp in my Jazz V. It is important to note that it did not just fail. I had to redo the shielding in the bass. In handling the preamp during removal/installation I broke a wire loose. I attempted to resolder it myself and due to poor soldering skills and not having a temp controlled iron I fried the preamp myself. I did not mean to give the impression that the preamps are prone to failure. But if it does, do not expect to have an OEM replacement in hand in any kind of a timely manner. Especially if doing it under warranty and getting the part from Fender rather than a retailer.

10. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba

Apr 30, 2017
    Not trying to ignore your follow up question, it’s just that I haven’t had a chance to A/B both models. I just wanted to add that it also appears you can string through the body on the Elites and not on Deluxes.

11. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    I bought my elite V jazz new two years ago on sale. It’s a great bass but I feel like I paid too much for it. The preamp can be noisy and at this price point, there shouldn’t be anything to complain about

Ooba Tooba likes this.
  12. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    Staying with my old Deluxe. After swapping the N3s for Aggies even the stock preamp sounds better as well as the passive tone. These new models just seem like the same ol’ to me.

13. KB5

KB5 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2012
    It's a great playing, great look bass. If you want one snatch it up. Fender discontinued the spoke wheel TR adjuster. Frankly it's best feature they ever intoduced on thier basses and shows how out if touch they are with thier customers.

Ooba Tooba likes this.
  14. DanGroove

DanGroove

Apr 27, 2017
    Texas
    I also loved the spoke wheel and don’t think they should have discontinued it on the new Ultra’s. As to how out of touch that makes them I’m not as sure. There are a lot of mixed opinions about it, particularly a lot of opinions that Fender did a poor job of implementing it and it isn’t as good as say EBMM’s. Although improving it instead of discontinuing it would have shown them to be more in tune.
    I’m personally happy with it though.

lowdownthump likes this.
  15. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    I am happy with my Elite Jazz 5 (ash/maple), although I'm leaning toward replacing the electronics. Possibly the pickups too, but I'd start wth the preamp. My major complaints: the tone control not being in the circuit in active mode, and not enough cut for my taste on the treble control. I like Aguilar preamps, so I think that's the way I'll go, with a passive tone control added. I suspect the circuit board sandwich design of the preamp is problematic - my mid control cuts out occasionally, and on another Elite Jazz 5 that I picked up in a store, the signal cut out altogether when switching from active to passive mode.

The bass plays great, although it could use some minor fret dressing. String tension is a little lower than my other basses, so I think I'll try some higher tension strings so I don't have to be conscious of lightening up when I switch basses in the middle of a gig. I think my favorite thing about the bass is the neck profile and finish. It is extremely comfortable and playable for me. Overall weight and balance is very manageable (9 lbs. 8 oz). I like the spoke wheel truss rod adjustment. Also on the plus side, the low B is excellent, though it took some experimentation to find the right gauge so it's in balance with the other strings (I settled on a .125).

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  16. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    I agree, that is one sharp looking bass. The only thing I would like is a matching color on the head stock.now that would cause me a severe case of flautulance!!!

Ooba Tooba likes this.
  17. pbass62

pbass62 Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Concord NC
    I absolutely love my Elite Precision. Its been my go to bass .

Ooba Tooba likes this.