Fender Fullerton Reissue club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Jan 30, 2009.

Tags:
  1. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas City
    Generally V000001 to V015xxx's

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    chadds likes this.
  2. Allotabass1

Allotabass1

Dec 20, 2019
    I gotta see more neck pocket V00 stickers. There has to be some historical relation or significance versus neck plates going on. Some master list or insider knowledge.

I've seen a few Strats and one Tele with stickers that match the neck plates but nothing else.
    There has to be something out there.

3. BritBass 2

BritBass 2

Jan 20, 2014
    Fullerton reissue serial numbers run into the high V16000s. The numbering was very random with V00*** even spotted on 1985/86 models. The very first numbers are actually on Corona models which were specially gifted to known players and their relatives.

FenderOli likes this.
  4. V000XXX - V016XXX
    V016.jpg

BritBass 2 likes this.
  5. porterbass

porterbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    Fullerton VS friends...I need some advise please...

As I mentioned up-thread, I recently purchased what I believe is a 1983 Fullerton VS '62 P. I've taken the neck off and removed the pickups to see the date stamps. I posted the photos of those a week or so ago. The neck is a 1982 date and the pickups are mid-1983. It has every marker I've read about in this thread that points to it being a Fullerton. I haven't taken apart the rest of it yet to check the pot dates, etc. As I mentioned earlier, this P bass is in outstanding condition with just a little bit of finish checking. It looks like a screw hasn't been touched except for the pickup covers. Is there any issue with me removing the pickguard screws to look at the pots?

Edit Add: The serial number on the plate is V015xxx.

I'm not a collector and bought this to play (it's amazing!), but I don't want to screw up anything with it either. (I'm super handy having rehabbed 4 houses I've owned so that's not an issue. I've also taken plenty of basses apart, changed parts, done setups, etc.)

Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  6. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Take it apart. Be gentle. You'll be fine.

porterbass likes this.
  7. Whale

Whale

Apr 12, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I repair and build instruments, so I'm happy to share some advice on the subject.

The biggest worry in removing parts would be the screwdriver slipping to create a mar in the finish. Unless someone glued the pickguard to the body, removing it and/or the screws will not damage the bass in any way.

Keep in mind, though, that the finish on the AVRI instruments is nitrocellulose. That means it is thinner than polyurethane and much more fragile. It is also the reason why the finish is likely starting to show cracks.

A couple of final thoughts...

• If it were me I wouldn't remove the bridge plate. There is nothing to see under it, except for the grounding wire. The same goes with the tuners. No need to mess with them.
    • Remove the strings before attempting to remove the pickguard. It's possible to get the pickguard out with the strings in the way, but it's a pain in the butt and you run the risk of scratching the finish and your unique pepperoni pickguard.
    • Don't over-tighten the screws. Just snug them down and they'll stay put.
    • Place your screws in a cup or some sort of holder. You don't want to lose any of them. Shiny new screws stand out like a sore thumb when paired with the aged screws.
    • If the foam underneath the pickups is deteriorating it is acceptable to replace it without having to worry about devaluing your bass. In fact, you can buy new foam from quite a few sellers online.
    • If you remove your neck make sure it is aligned properly with regard to string spacing when you reattach it.
    • I always take the opportunity to thoroughly clean my instruments when I remove the pickguard. You can more easily get some of the grime and grunge that has built up over the years.
    • I also enjoy looking to see if the finish has faded by comparing the colors under the pickguard to those that have been exposed to UV rays and use.
    • Lastly, take pics of your pickups. It's easier to look at photos than to pull your bass apart again. You can share the pics with those on the forum, too.

Congratulations again!!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    daahoud, FenderOli and Honkey tonk like this.
  8. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    when i remove any screws i note which screw came out of which hole and return it back to the same spot.

9. jebmd

jebmd Gold Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
    Whale and porterbass like this.
  10. bma3008

bma3008

Jul 27, 2019
  11. Whale

Whale

Apr 12, 2008
    Portland, OR
  12. pbass2go

pbass2go

Dec 19, 2004
    Apple Valley, MN
    My 57 AVRI. Neck date says 11-11-82. Cant read what's in the neck pocket. Ive had EMG's in it, now sporting SD Antiquity II. Baddass on it since the 80's. Still have all the old parts too. Love this one IMG_20201228_195824.jpg IMG_20200213_153527.jpg IMG_0973.jpg IMG_0971.jpg IMG_0970.jpg

13. Lou Bottini

Lou Bottini Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    NorCal
    I don't know what came over me. After playing this fine Fullerton AV Jazz the last couple days I have pulled it from the market. This bass has the best neck and body feel/weight ever. IMG_7698.jpg

14. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas City
    I've kept my '83 V01 as well although I don't play it as often as I should.

62 AVRI Fullerton P.Bass.2.jpg

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  15. porterbass

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    For those that have had both, is the Fullerton '57 VS P pickup voiced differently than the Fullerton '62 VS P? Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    jebmd likes this.
  16. BritBass 2

BritBass 2

Jan 20, 2014
    9B7E92AE-8997-437F-93AF-142F05228FD9.jpeg
    Compared with both earlier and later periods , Fender produced quite a large selection of case candy for the Fullerton reissues . View attachment 4209184

17. porterbass

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    Bumping this again.... Can you please let me know if the pickups are different in the Fullerton '57 P and the '62 P? Do they sound different or the same? Thank you!

18. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    oh yeah. my american original came with just certificate, covers and keys. even the hang tag wasn't there. i guess the store threw it away.

BritBass 2 and FenderOli like this.
  19. The DG part of the pickup might be the same. The EA part have mostly the raised A-poles(57). I havent swapped them from my 57 to my 62. What is the reason for your question?

BritBass 2 and porterbass like this.
  20. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas City
    I'm not sure if there was any significant difference between the early '57/'62 pickups, but my '57 Fullerton with a Lollar pickup sounds WAY better than my '62 Fullerton with its original pickup. Apologies, though, for not answering your question. I would think that there is someone on here who knows for certain.

My early 3-digit '57 already had a Lindy Fralin PU when I got it but I ditched it for the Lollar later on. I'm not a collector and I wanted what IMO was the best-sounding P-bass pickup available at the time.

porterbass likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021