1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Mustang Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FlyingPigSound, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    That is a beaut! Not to swaggerjack buuuut how'd you make the matched knobs happen, if I might ask?

2. Cran

Cran

Oct 24, 2018
    I am sad to say that I am not a member of Beach Goons. That was just my small band in NZ covering one of their tracks. Sorry to disappoint!

3. Bassndrums73

Bassndrums73

Mar 13, 2018
    Ohio
    Finally decided how I wanted to finish the volume and tone knob configuration on my Mustang Limited Black Edition Bass that I modded with EMG Geezer Butler pickup set. Here’s a couple of pics. 93B531E4-6198-4D7A-A833-6F87A1D96210.jpeg CFB392F9-43B5-4A1D-844D-F2A380715311.jpeg

SteveBassJr, Duder, dmt and 6 others like this.
  4. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Answers from the prior owner don't seem forthcoming just yet. Doing a little independent research, I've found that Curtis Novak offers 40mm & 44mm covers for his Mustang pickups, the latter fitting modern reissue pickguards made for the skinny puppies. That said... American Performer & Vintera bodies have different routings than the Player and Offset, from what I can tell (no switch, so all that wood is still present), including slightly different pickup location... also, deeper cuts since the Mustang pickups are taller.

Until I hear back, I'll have to assume the project involves some routing.

On the other hand, if the stock pickup is the same vintage-voiced split coil that's in my 50s Classic P, well, there's far worse pickups out there....

dmt likes this.
  5. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    If your main goal is sound vs looks, I bet Nordstrand would put their mustang pickup into a P casing. I bet other makers would too.

Duder and Real Soon like this.
  6. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, there's a lot I don't know yet. Among other things, what strings I want to have on it, which will affect my choice of pickup. The taller classic Mustang pickups reportedly capture a bit more upper range than the stock P pickup does, but that also doesn't account for the J pickup, which I fully intend to use.

It'd be a bit of a shame to NOT get the aesthetic if I did go for a true Mustang pickup in the neck, but we shall see. Lots and lots of options :hyper:

PotsdamBass8 likes this.
  7. wongahcheng

wongahcheng

Oct 17, 2012
    I wonder if any of you guys know the dimensions of MIJ Mustang Bass' neck pocket? Planning to get a new neck, but not sure about the measurements.

8. sumskilz

sumskilz

Jan 23, 2019
    Road worn bothers me, but pau ferro bothers me more. I haven't heard a fair comparison between the two, but from what I can tell, I like the sound of the JMJ pickup better.

The stock bag that comes with the JMJ also stains the nitro finish.

9. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    i've said it before, but i'd pay extra for a non- worn jmj. Shame they decided not to offer that version. Less work for them, and a nice beautiful new looking bass. The relic fad is getting a little out of hand, need to back it off just a bit imo...

10. Hi. I recently got a JMJ, and really like it. Have played P and J for 30 years, but as I get older I find them harder and harder to play. Trying a short scale was a revelation!

I now want more short scales, but I’m not sure which one. The black JMJ just arrived in Europe, so it’s still kinda expensive. The American Performer and the Mexican P/J can however be found second hand for about 60% of the new price.

Those of you with several Mustangs, which one do you think will make me most happy, given that I love my Daphne JMJ?

Am Per, Mex PJ or another JMJ? If I buy the Am Per or Mex PJ I can spend some money upgrading, and it will still be cheaper than another JMJ.

PotsdamBass8 likes this.
  11. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    i've had all those. I just bought a hybrid mustang p/j from japan, haven't got to plug it in yet, but do like it so far. I'm not a mex p/j fan, non string thru body for starters. I'd try the am performer. I actually owned one, sold it, missed it, bought another, never played it, sold it, lol
    I play my jmj and pawn shop mustang live probably 90% of time,

P-punk and MascisMan like this.
  12. kjp360

kjp360

Feb 11, 2014
    The PJ Mustang has a 1.5 nut width if I recall so is quite a bit different than the JMJ FWIW.

13. MascisMan

MascisMan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    What are the dimensions of the mudbucker in the pawn shop Mustang?

14. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    gimmie a lil bit, and i'll get that measurement for you mascisman, you a dinosaur jr fan by chance? lol

MascisMan likes this.
  15. MascisMan

MascisMan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Yessir!

16. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I haven’t played the other models, but I have a PJ and it is a great instrument. I’ve owned several US basses including US fenders and it stacks up well. If you can find it for 60% of the new price, that seems to be a great deal and definitely worth it even if it’s not destined to be your favorite Mustang.

17. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Greetings all, & please cross your fingers: we've arrived at the estimated ship date listed in my P.O. for the shell pink PJ.

I've never pre-ordered an instrument before, so am betting on tempering my expectations esp in these times, but am also grasping at a shortscale glimmer of hope. I've noticed that for the second time, the original listing's ship date has changed... at the same time the inventory suddenly increased. That suggests to me that they are indeed shipping in batches, and the current date (now November 24!) is for orders placed after they updated the inventory.

dmt and SoulReflection like this.
  18. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    And we're leaving that estimated ship date heh... meanwhile, I'll go drool at the Mike Lull shell pink bass on the Gruhn Guitars website.

Random question not pertinent to my intentions, just out of curiosity: has anyone been known to take advantage of the short scale by tuning up a string, i.e. ADGC? Might seem ridiculous in most uses, but in the olden days, some contrabass virtuosi were known to tune thus.

19. Johnny_Paps

Johnny_Paps

Jan 27, 2019
    Hey everybody, hope all is well. I’m looking for a pawn shop mustang bass, any color variation is fine.. just really want one! There becoming unicorns in the mustang realm.. thanks in advance!

MagnusGudberg likes this.