1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Mustang Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWLANG, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    I have two, one with a Dimarzio Model PJ set, and one with Seymour Duncan's SPB-2 and STK-J2B.

I like the SPB-2 pickup the most, as it sounds like a good P bass pickup. I like the Model PJ set overall, as the two pickups balance well together. Both pickups are noiseless sets.

warwicktor, Zoobiedood and G19Tony like this.
  2. OllyW

OllyW

Oct 10, 2017
    Stourbridge, UK
    I replaced mine with a Switchcraft Short Body Toggle Switch, it's a much higher quality part.

lowplaces and Axstar like this.
  3. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    Switchcraft but the P pickup still decides not to work from time to time. For whatever reason slapping the E string a few times usually brings it back. No idea why.

4. gpz550

gpz550

Sep 7, 2012
    Central PA
    Ditto on the Switchcraft shorty. I put on a vintage white tip from Stew Mac.

Axstar likes this.
  5. gpz550

gpz550

Sep 7, 2012
    Central PA
    FWIW on these types of switches sometimes an outer contact can get slightly bent resulting in inconsistent contact for one side/pickup. Happened to me when I switched pickguards on my Mustang.

lowplaces likes this.
  6. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    The wiring in the PJ Mustangs could stand to be tidied up a bit. I've rewired both of mine with much shorter wires where possible, and with a bit more regard for what goes where, and why. The switch might be ok, but there could be a fault elsewhere. In my first PJ Mustang the ground wire running to the factory switch was unsoldered. It was simply wrapped through the eyelet in the switch chassis and left at that. It *could* be that Fender make these same faults elsewhere. There is no shielding paint in the switch cavity on either of my basses (making the shielding incomplete, aka useless), so the switch probably isn't shorting to ground. The fault could be elsewhere.

I would use your switch weirdness as a good reason to rewire the bass more cleanly.

gpz550 likes this.
  7. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    Interesting. I've got a Bronco project going, (who doesn't) :roflmao: I'm going to take a crack at wiring that myself, with new pickups and harness. If that goes well, I may take a crack at the Mustang with new pickups, shielding and cleaning up the wiring.

Axstar likes this.
  8. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ? Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    What flat-wound set is everyone using on their Mustang PJ ?

I've tried TI Flats. Sound great but they are a bit too soft.

Installed Roto 77's and had an issue with intonation. You can read about it here if you want..
    Roto 77 Short Scale Issue

After the hassle, the 77's do sound fantastic, but I'm not going to tolerate what I had to do to get the E string to intonate.

I'm not sure what is left to try besides Chromes and La Bella.

I'd just happy to be find a set that actually fits the Mustang PJ without any issues whatsoever.

9. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    LaBella. I have them on all of my basses.

lowplaces likes this.
  10. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Which set ? I think they have three sets of short scale.

On your Mustang PJ, were any of the ball end silks on the saddles ? ; plus on the E string, was any of the non silk covered winding on the tuner post ?

11. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    No and No. I think they were 760FM. Be sure you don't get the set for the String Through Body. I really like how they sound, and they are easy on the fingers. I'm still new at this, but I'm hooked in a big way. :bassist: :hyper:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    lowplaces likes this.
  12. 20131004_155538.

Am I the only one here with a stock Pawn Shop Mustang...? Did I wander into the wrong room...? ;-)

J-Mags, alack, Florinda4 and 11 others like this.
  13. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    Would you be able to take the neck of the Bronco off and see if it will fit on the PJ Mustang body? I've been looking for an aftermarket neck with a maple fingerboard for my PJ with no luck. Obviously no pressure, but I've been unable to even find neck pocket measurements anywhere online.

14. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    The nut width is the same. Both have 19 frets. Both have "C" profile, not slim C or modern C.

Google Squier Bronco Bass and go to the fender site. A chat box icon should appear on your screen. Try asking them if they will interchange. My guess is that they will.

creaturegods likes this.
  15. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    :facepalm: Didn't even think about going straight to the source. Got an immediate reply but it was a vague "It should be fine, there might be a little space on the bass/treble sides." Gonna take that to mean it should be OK depth-wise! I need to use those chat windows more often!

G19Tony and lowplaces like this.
  16. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Do you happen to live near a Guitar Center that has a Bronco in stock ? If so do you have a micrometer ? If you measure the PJ neck and the Bronco neck at the 19th fret that will tell you whether it will fit the neck pocket well.

If not you can post a thread asking someone to measure the Bronco neck at the 19th fret, and I can measure my pj neck at the 19th fret.

17. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    I have the neck off the Bronco. While I'm not interested in taking the Mustang apart, I would be happy to mic the Bronco neck for you. Let me know what you need.

creaturegods and lowplaces like this.
  18. gpz550

gpz550

Sep 7, 2012
    Central PA

lowplaces likes this.
  19. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    You could mic the Mustang PJ neck at the 19th fret as well with it on the bass.

If you have time, would you mind micing the headstock thickness on both ?

creaturegods likes this.