1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Mustang Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWLANG, Feb 8, 2018.

1. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ? Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    You quoted my post but left no text of your own there @gpz550

2. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Disregard.... your reply was included inside my text... Got it on the Chromes...thx !

3. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    Seconding @lowplaces requests! That would be really helpful. Thank you!

lowplaces likes this.
  4. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    Micrometer used: Cen-Tech (Harbor Freight)

BRONCO

WIDTH MEASURED AT 19TH FRET: 2.24 INCHES
    HEIGHT MEASURED AT 19TH FRET: 1.00 INCHES
    HEADSTOCK THICKNESS: 0.55 INCHES

MUSTANG PJ

WIDTH MEASURED AT 19TH FRET: 2.28
    HEIGHT MEASURED AT 14TH FRET: 0.79 NOTE: The PJ is still in one piece, this was the closest I could get. It stands to reason, it's the same thickness all the way into the pocket.

HEADSTOCK THICKNESS: 0.54 INCHES.

I hope that was helpful.

creaturegods and lowplaces like this.
  5. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Thanks for taking time to check that !

So that shows the Bronco neck on the PJ body, will only have 1/50th " gap on each side of the neck in the pocket. That's not much.

G19Tony likes this.
  6. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    Thank you, @G19Tony !

Not bad at all! You think a flat, non-angled 0.2" shim would be necessary or would there be enough room to just adjust the bridge to compensate?

lowplaces and G19Tony like this.
  7. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'd shim it, but keep in mind. I'm new at all this and really don't know. That would be a good question to take to the Luthier's corner.

lowplaces likes this.
  8. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    That's .002" each side, not .2 "

The Mustang neck is only .004" wider. That is a tenth of a millimeter. (.1mm)

Each side, bass and treble side of the neck, is only going to see half of that. Only a .05mm gap each side. A page of a spiral-bound notebook is .06mm

I would forget the shims and just put the Bronco neck on the PJ body and string it up.

There is an old trick. for 4 bolt neck guitars. Tune the strings to pitch and then loosen the neck bolts just a tad. That pulls the end of the neck all the way snug with the body( toward the bridge). Then re-tighten the neck bolts and check your tuning.

But.....

Tony's measurement of the thickness of the heel of the necks shows the Bronco neck .21" thicker.
    (5.33mm)

The Mustang PJ Bridge saddle adjustment screws may not be able to compensate for that.

Edit : just looked at my Mustang PJ and perhaps they will have enough adjustment.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    creaturegods likes this.
  9. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    Ahhhh, I read the measurements and then got them backwards in my head. I was thinking the Mustang neck heel was thicker than the Bronco.

Yeah, since the Bronco neck is thicker, a shim might not be the best idea :laugh: Ain't nothin' to it but to do it, at this point! Now I just gotta find a cheap Bronco.

lowplaces likes this.
  10. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Were you talking about shimming the neck, or using shims on each side of the neck to tighten it snug in the pocket ?

11. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    Flat-shimming the neck for the height differential that doesn't actually exist :roflmao:. I was thinking the Bronco heel was .2" shorter than the Mustang neck, which isn't the case.
    Like you said, I wouldn't imagine the small gaps on the sides to be much of an issue.

lowplaces likes this.
  12. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Ok, gotcha.

13. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Speaking of Broncos check this out

creaturegods likes this.
  14. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018

I also put on La Bella’s. The 30” short scale set fit fine (but as someone mentioned don’t get the ones that say they’re for Mustangs; those are for the through-body style not the PJs)

lowplaces likes this.
  15. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Yep, the Mustang set has the TB designation at the end of the model number.

Which set did you go with ? I see they have extra light, light, medium, and standard sets.

I'm leaning toward the standard set. 45-65-85-105

Going to be interesting to see if they can knock the Roto 77's out of the saddle. It was hell getting them intonated but they are now and I'm loving how responsive they are.

16. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    I enjoy this guy's bideos.

lowplaces, dmt and SoulReflection like this.
  17. the green racing stripes are perfect - nice looking hot-rod you have there - mine is in sonic blue but i haven't added the stripes or thumb rest yet - but it's something i'd really like to do.

G19Tony and HD007 like this.
  18. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    I used 43-104, which is what was in stock at bassstrings. I don’t have a comparison but they have worked well for me.

lowplaces likes this.
  19. symbolic_acts

symbolic_acts

May 24, 2004
    lowplaces likes this.