1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Mustang Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWLANG, Feb 8, 2018.

1. symbolic_acts

symbolic_acts Supporting Member

May 24, 2004
    Is that free shipping?
    I got them at juststrings.com

2. No, shipping on my last string order was $3.45, so that would be $40.40 total. Depending on where you live, there might be sales tax too. If LaBella doesn't collect sales tax, that might make up for the difference.

3. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    Where did you have it painted - thanks

4. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    Well I am getting out of the 34" products and going to the 30 - I just now bought this here on TB - so can I get in the club.

F53336FB-8AA5-45A3-B412-4DC47FE56905.jpeg.

Duder, J-Mags, Florinda4 and 6 others like this.
  5. Modder

Modder

Jan 2, 2017
    Suffolk, UK
    Loving the JMJ!

6. Florinda4

Florinda4 Supporting Member

@LennyJ = #48

Welcome!

7. mobass55

mobass55 Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Nixa Missouri
    Well, I just finished the cosmetics on my Sonic Blue. I went with a aged pearl guard and ivory P/U covers, knobs and switch button. Strung it with Monel Flats. I kinda like this little guy and I'm a Jazz Bass player!! Just wish I could of found the right colored knobs, I even tried soaking them in brown stain and it didn't work.

Attached Files:

1.jpg
      File size:
      82.1 KB
      Views:
      2.jpg
      File size:
      109.3 KB
      Views:
    Duder, Florinda4, jbassbob and 2 others like this.
  8. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    If the knobs are an issue, how about chrome P Bass-style knobs? I had some on my white Mustang for about five minutes but couldn't get on with the look. You've gone for quite a sweet look, so the chrome of the knobs would match the bridge and the control plate, keeping it all tied together visually.

9. mobass55

mobass55 Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Nixa Missouri
    Hummmm.....Might have to give that a try!!

Axstar likes this.
  10. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ? Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  11. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    It was refinished at Groat Instruments in Santa Rosa, CA...a little far from you ;).

12. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    Thanks but a great refinish is worth shipping.

Lenny

lowplaces likes this.
  13. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    Thank you

14. Bobhmcs

Bobhmcs Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    I myself am looking for new pickguard as well. All that I seem to find are custom made, expensive, or have the theme of a 4 year old.
    I am not having any playability issues with the stock guard nor is it damaged, it is strickly asthetics.
    Personally I can't stand the color.
    If anyone knows of a place where I can find one that is bone white with black piping and doesn't require a template or the guard itself and is reasonably priced it would be greatly appreciated. Or if you have any experience in re-coloring the stock guard I would be most grateful as well.

15. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    Im close in age - but the weight on my shoulders gets me. So I picked up a JMJ - it is posted on page 37 or 38 I think.

But my question - when you did your mods to your bass - did you change out the controls (sorry I did not see any info there). If it pans out I will next get a newer P/J Mustang and start to work.

Thanks for your info.

16. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    You my want to contact these people:

Chandler Music <chandler.music@att.net>

They're in Chico, CA, cost $65.00 with a two week turnaround.

17. Bobhmcs

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    No I didn't change out any of the controls. The closest I came was to replace the 3 way switch with a Switchcraft short stem which solved the issues with the stock switch. I have seen some discussions on changing the volume and tone controls in other threads here on TB but I can't remember exactly which ones.
    So what you saw in my description of the mods is pretty much everything that was done.
    A side note is that the high mass bridge had a secondary benefit in that due to it's weight it aided in the balance of the bass itself and reduced the neck dive greatly. Not completely but it was surprising. I have not played or practiced standing in 6 years due to my RA and sat all the time. So I didn't really notice the dive much. I mention this because of what you said about your shoulder.
    Now if I could just get rid of that gawdawful "mint" green pickguard I believe my mods will be complete.
    I hope this helps. Fell free to contact me if you have any other questions.
    Bob

18. Bobhmcs

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    Thank you very much for the info and I will check them out today.

They call that "Mint"? I have another name for it but I will leave that alone.
    Thanks again
    Bob

SoulReflection likes this.
  19. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    I finally got this strung up to my liking with Dunlop flats and played it for an entire band rehearsal. It sounded brilliant! I can't say enough about how it fit into the band mix; fat & pillowy with plenty of attack; but without getting in the way of the guitar or drums. I'm almost bummed that the strings are gonna break in and darken.

Flats played with a pick (most of the time) on a Mustang makes for such a classic rock n roll sound. It cuts through enough for punk, but has echoes of Tommy James, Phil Spector, whoever.

IMG_20180817_083011.

Uncle K, dmt, jbassbob and 1 other person like this.
  20. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Posting so I can find this later to add pics of my recently restored 1969...

Duder, jbassbob and G-Dog like this.