1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Parallel Universe '51 Telecaster PJ Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deak, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Deak

Deak Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Kansas
    I should have worded that how can "anyone". I get what you meant. :) It didn't come across as disparaging.

2. Mammoth_Bass

Mammoth_Bass Check out my band Mammothor!! Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Sandown, NH
    Here is mine :) (see left bass in photo) need to get a good shot of it 124BD243-3F3E-45EF-A0FA-BABDA8A302D7.

3. Guinness20

Guinness20

Jan 24, 2013
    Liverpool, UK
    Browsing online and just seen this bass for the first time, veeery interesting. Any review videos around? Couldn't find any

4. I've also been looking and couldn't find anything either.
    I'm really interested in this one.

5. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    That's because the bass hasn't actually been let loose into the wild yet...December 2018 is the established release date...

6. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I also have a Partscision bass with a Dirnt body, so I'm used to this look. I just feel that a single coil P in the proper spot and another single coil P in the 60s J position (maybe in the Ric bridge PU spot) would be more parallel universe vs derivative design.
    This is more like it!

7. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    The expensive freaking mutant fender bass.... ​

8. jd-ns

jd-ns

Sep 28, 2010
    Canada
    Totally wrong pickup combination. The original '51 single coil with a jazz pickup might have been interesting.

9. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I can think of a couple luthiers that can make that for the same price or less, tune it to your specific preferred specs and give you a better instrument overall.

10. tom dicus

tom dicus

May 17, 2017
    Wasilla, AK USA
    i suck at bass but will never give up
    This is the bass I have been wanting since they were put out on the market!
    Tell me, please, how great does it sound!???

11. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    A couple of weeks ago I saw one on the GC website under "used basses" for $1200. It was described as "excellent condition". It doesn't seem to be there anymore.

12. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    Sweetwater took the Parallel Universe 51 Tele P/J down and it's no longer even on Fenders site. zZounds has them listed still for Pre-order due 6 Dec. for $1999.99. I'm not sure if any of them have been on the streets. I heard somewhere they where cancelled. I'm tired of waiting.

I'm getting this Roadworn Mike Dirnt P instead because I always un-wire the bridge pickups on my P/J's anyways and this is near half the cost of the Parallel Universe. Paint is cheap, lol. :bassist:

61mOnn9oy9L._SL1500_.

BillMason and GeoKinetic like this.
  13. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I’d love to have a standard P body, with contours and a split coil, with a maple board and a tele head stock. I don’t care if it has a J pickup or not, but I dont want a slab body and I’d mostly want to use my extensive collection of P pickguards while pretending I’m playing in Crazy Horse.

EdBo likes this.
  14. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    This series was always listed as one released a month. The Meteora released Nov 4th as planned and appears to have been sold out in days. The very limited series seems to be largely consumed by pre-orders. My Tele Bass pre-order is still expected to ship in Early December. This is consistent with all that has been said along the way. There may be a few extras floating around, but I would speculate that if one doesn’t already have a pre-order, there wont be many, if any, available. I have seen a custom shop bass that is similar and I considered that one for a bit, but if my pre-order doesn’t arrive, I will probably try the Dirnt bass. I’m waiting to see what happens in December. I am betting those with pre-orders will get one then.

EdBo likes this.
  15. a local shop indicated to me they might be getting them early. I'm headed up there today and I'll see what they say.

EdBo likes this.
  16. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I hope that's correct!

EdBo likes this.
  17. so the guy at the shop (Tone Shop in Addison, TX) said that they might not have even ordered any..he wasn't sure. That as far as he knew they were dropping next month.
    They had the Meteora though...for what its worth.

18. jd-ns

jd-ns

Sep 28, 2010
    Canada
    I had that Dirnt roadworn discussed above. The neck was an odd shape - narrow nut but very thick. My least favorite of any p or j fender neck I have ever played. It also was oddly balanced with a very heavy body and light neck (had to fight to keep the neck down - body dive...?). The sound was good but nothing special. Not the same beast but with my 50's Classic Vibe playing and sounding better, I sold the Dirnt.

19. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    Are you refering to a Squier 50's CV P. Like this ?
    ABADBITCH.

Luigir likes this.
  20. jd-ns

jd-ns

Sep 28, 2010
    Canada
    Yup, that model. Out of a good selection of fender basses, one of those is my moneymaker this weekend.