1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Parallel Universe '51 Telecaster PJ Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deak, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Deak

Deak Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Kansas
    This is another reason I asked because a several months ago this caught my eye. I believe the cost was around 1200.00 and now up to 1600.00 for the same build. I do like the looks and it would also be lighter than many.
    Bass of the Week: Moniker Guitars Natural Dixie Double P-Bass

Now 1200.00 doesn't look so bad. I was considering it for a country band. Alas the audition did not go well for either party.

2. Deak

Deak Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Kansas
    This was exactly my initial thought. My two grand is going for a Ric this summer . . . from Wildwood. Can't wait for the trip.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  3. Deak

Deak Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Kansas
    Man that is the first lime green on a bass I've seen that really looks sweet. I'd name it Barq's (after the soda). Good times those many years ago also the lime popsicles! Ape hanger bikes and running down Joe's Ice Cream truck. I miss ya Joe.
    Thanks for the reminder!

Edit for the perfectly matched pickguard. I would grin every time I took that out of the case/bag knowing you're going to get a comment.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    As someone who built a '51 clone, the only reason to play a slab is for the looks. It is not as comfortable or easy to play as a contoured body.

Luigir likes this.
  5. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Can't wait for the NBD! Life is good!

Deak likes this.
  6. Deak

Deak Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Kansas
    This is why I like the Moniker idea. You can get what you want (mostly). I did like the double P configuration just because it is not something you see everyday. Or maybe I need to pay more attention. You all have brought so many good thoughts to the table.:)

7. Deak

Deak Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Kansas
    Yep. Life is good. Now if I can get off the fence about Jet Glo or Fire Glo. That wall of Rics had better smack me with the answer! I can't decide!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  8. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    If you’re going to have a slab bass I’d like to see it cut from an old piece of barn wood. That way at least the wood itself is the correct vintage ;)

Dusty hill has a bass that has a photo image of old wood. I’m sure any member here would cringe at the thought and it probably looks terrible up close but on stage it looks great.

9. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Wouldn't that be great if, with that much of a selection, and the ability (and time) to check out several, the good folks at Wildwood would give you a 'blind test' to see which one you bonded with, no matter what finish...

... just an idea.

Deak likes this.
  10. Deak

Deak Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Kansas
    This gives me an idea, or rather you gave me an idea. Rusty gears are turning.

I have two days scheduled there (or close proximity).

I can touch everyone of them and what happens in Wildwood stays in Wildwood! ;)

Old Blastard likes this.
  11. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    This one?

Note the matching peeling pattern of the laminate sticker tops of Gibbon's guitar and Hill's bass.

craigie likes this.
  12. Deak

Deak Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Kansas
    How can you not appreciate those? Relic or not, Gibbons and Hill can make dirt sound good.

Old Blastard likes this.
  13. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    Fender is getting real close to pricing themselves out of the market. 2000 to 2500 can get you some very nice entry custom level stuff.

Luigir and Deak like this.
  14. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Bet it sounds good. I like the look, but a little 'busy'

15. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    The Fender Cowpoke had a similar overall look and pickups, except no control plate, active EQ in two stacked knobs, and a standard Precision headstock.

Deak likes this.
  16. Looks like an “over stimulated” Mike Dirnt signature axe...way too expensive for what it is IMHO

17. Asking price is too high.

18. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    I love the '51 p, but I just don't like this one. Part is that I don't like the J pickup. Why not the original p single coil pickup?

19. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    That’s true, and I do like them (if my post sounded disparaging).

Deak likes this.
  20. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Single coil p with a j lol