Fender pre-CBS Club: pics mandatory!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mastermold, Nov 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    you guys are killing me!!!! :hyper:

finally,... a thread that really delivers. thanks OP!

Obrad Lacarac and Pbassmanca like this.
  2. EDIT: Double post, my bad.

3. That just goes to show how authentic and well done the finish and relic job is!

4. So we're at 15 Club members ... who else has pre-CBS goodies to share? :bassist:

5. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Hugh Hefner would disagree...

6. :D

Yeah Hugh's collection probably looks more like this:

FenderCaseCandy_zps81ebaa6e.jpg

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Yes. The guy I bought it from in 1973, got it that year, stripped off the pink sprayed-on refin, and coated the body with brushed-on poly floor finish. The finish was uneven, saggy, ugly, and worn through by my thumb in areas covered by the pickguard. The mojo/patina you like was not just wear and dirt I put on it during 35 years of ownership. The real mojo is the skill I got from playing it for a living for several years while going to school studying music.

Patina? Well, let's see...the pickup output was zero, the neck was caked in chipping poly, and 35 years of dirt and sweat was ground/loaded into the unsealed roughly sanded Ash. The body wood was actually abrading and frets corroding (green stuff). :eek:

No problem that you'd prefer it that way, but the instrument is now playable again, and is in stable condition. It is no longer an ugly run-of-the-mill 70's hippy refin'. Rather, to me, this is how the instrument would look had the person in Nashville who painted it pink in 19?? thought twice before breaking out the rattle can. :cool:

Details about the restore done by RS Guitarworks of Winchester, KY: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/vintage-1955-classic-p-bass-reborn-325380/ :D

bassmike2010 likes this.
  8. zacmac

zacmac

Dec 10, 2012
    March 63' on the far left, partscaster in the center and 70' on the right

Do you think my 63' is a refin? I bought it right and it has incredible tone so I don't care, but it has more red and less black than I have seen before

IMG_0005_zpsc38c88f1.gif

9. Refin or not, you still get a number! :bassist:

10. Fender pre-CBS Club members:

#1 Mastermold
    #2 Webtroll
    #3 Hilton Marsh
    #4 ASATMAN
    #5 Jim Carr (aka Dr. Jim)
    #6 9mmMike
    #7 ExaltBass
    #8 Pilgrim
    #9 that1guy222
    #10 tomshepp
    #11 M.R. Ogle
    #12 og61pbass
    #13 Beano z
    #14 D Bopp
    #15 herr_rocket
    #16 zacmac

11. CarbonTom

CarbonTom

Aug 23, 2013
    Definitely not in...and I dont have the funds to be jumping in soon either. But subbed just for the pr0n!

12. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Denver
    for your viewing enjoyment... a 64 L series refinished this year by our own john kallas. no need for a number, just thought id share. really all that and a bag of chips

Attached Files:

brian579, P. Aaron and 9mmMike like this.
  13. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Wow, JohnK has an eye for burst colors doesn't he?

9mmMike likes this.
  14. pbass888

Jul 8, 2009
    Denver
    yes he does, best ive seen..... btw love your 63 p bass . my jazz was stripped and painted and covered with some old stain and was a mess. i asked john to restore the burst to a look that was common in that period. also he had to rewind the bridge pup (it had gone microphonic) and restrip and finish the neck. its really way better than it was and plays like no other jazz ive had. My buddy jeff andrews says it reminds him of the neck on jacos fretted bass.... a bass which ive heard much about.

15. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I was so tempted to have him refinish it sonic blue, but my first real bass was a natural P just like that so I decided to leave it alone. If the finish was crap it'd have been a no-brainer but after swapping out the tort with the aged white it was beautiful, so I went with the bird in the hand approach.

16. pbass888

Jul 8, 2009
    Denver
    yes even though my finish was a mess the main reason for going all in on the refin was that the electronics needed work and the neck had a sticky coating sprayed on very poorly. i think natural colored (ie stripped basses ) are part of the fender/ instrument history. i dig them and of the good ones ive played here in the city, quiet a few have been stripped.

17. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    ugh I hate a sticky finish; play a few minutes and you feel like you have to wash your hands :p excellent choice with the JohnK burst. I don't like Jazz basses but that just looks tasty as all hell. (my dislike of Jazz basses is a dislike of the electronics more than anything, I'm tonally a Precision guy at heart)

18. zacmac

zacmac

Dec 10, 2012
    His 3 tone refins are the best I've seen in my years. He really nails the reds and the amber base well

19. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars

Thanks! It's in pretty good shape except the saddle height screws are rusted solid and the output jack isn't grounded lol

Both are easy fixes so I'll be taking her apart soon and making the necessary adjustments.

20. For a 53 year old bass that's not bad at all. :bassist:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021