Fender pre-CBS Club: pics mandatory!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mastermold, Nov 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Another 1964 Precision. This one is er … worn in. All original.

Davo

Attached Files:

2. Plus the back …

Attached Files:

3. Brazilian fretboards ... they don't make them like that anymore! #23 for you!

4. Fender pre-CBS Club members:

#1 Mastermold
    #2 Webtroll
    #3 Hilton Marsh
    #4 ASATMAN
    #5 Jim Carr (aka Dr. Jim)
    #6 9mmMike
    #7 ExaltBass
    #8 Pilgrim
    #9 that1guy222
    #10 tomshepp
    #11 M.R. Ogle
    #12 og61pbass
    #13 Beano z
    #14 D Bopp
    #15 herr_rocket
    #16 zacmac
    #17 KPO2000
    #18 Brams77
    #19 thisSNsucks
    #20 Bhazulle
    #21 Easy8
    #22 bh2
    #23 Davo-London

5. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Denver
    No need for a number. My 1964 L series refin by our own john K. Was played in the delta in the 60 and 70s til til owner had a industrial accident in the early 80s. I only lusted after it for 3 decades.... Was stripped damaged and abused and original down to the screws, except pick guard. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1386630262.806292.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1386630278.511779.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1386630291.247477.jpg

9mmMike likes this.
  6. Easy8

Easy8

Sep 5, 2007
    Austin, Tx
    I found it in a pawn shop in Ft. Worth in 1971. I was able to bargain them down to $65.

Here's a pic from 1972 when it was more pristine.

[​IMG]

JIO likes this.
  7. So great that you have pics from back then!

8. zacmac

zacmac

Dec 10, 2012
    Nice Kustom!

9. Bhazulle

Bhazulle

Dec 3, 2013
    Ferron, Utah
    Yes. It's actually on the classified page now. Ignore the asking price. A set of numbers was required to post it. I'm nothing if not reasonable. My only caveat is I won't sell it to a shop, or someone who will stick it in a closet and never play it.

10. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Great pic. Love the windbreak...and the wind sock is awesome too! Must be a great story/memory to go with this picture.

11. zacmac

zacmac

Dec 10, 2012
    I suspected a refin when I bought this recently because the edges of the front are a dark red almost purple color with little black but I am pretty sure now after black lighting it and letting a few guys in town look at it that it is not. That being said, I paid a refin price for it so It's water under the bridge either way. I would love to hear anyone's thoughts

11300383165_90c0b3f8b0_b.jpg
    11300413005_655c9c2d79_b.jpg
    11300495196_eb726c6249_b.jpg
    11300559573_3b35e80b4c_b.jpg
    11300455545_b391f4f4db_b.jpg

P. Aaron and Ghastly like this.
  12. Bhazulle

Bhazulle

Dec 3, 2013
    Ferron, Utah
    Beautiful Bass Zacmac, on that subject, you posted on my classified about mine possibly being refinished?
    63jassinternal005.jpg
    63jassinternal004.jpg
    63jassinternal001.jpg

These were the offending photos that made you ask. I closed the ad till I could get some info on them.
    Can you, and other elaborate on this? I went so far as to scrounge through the fender website and even search the internet. All the search engines said to ask right here on Tb.

Yeah, not looking good. I took the mans word on it that it had never been touched. And why not? I have known him since I was 10. This hard 88 stamped rather deep into the finish under the pickguard does not look like it should be on a 63. May have to turn in my number guys.

001-1.jpg

13. Few things for zacmac's Precision:

The hole next to the neck pocket is part of the curing process of the original paint job, this is an indication that the body is pre-CBS. I have a '64 P and the pickups and base look identical.

At least one of the pots has been changed - maybe they both have but at the moment they are dissimilar.

The scratchplate looks original based on the underside details.

If I look under the bonnet, the difference in colour/UV discolouration between the exposed wood and the unexposed is tiny. This would lead me to deduce that the finish is not original - in fact it is quite likely to be fairly recent.

The part of the neck shown doesn't have much wear. See my '64 below. This may have also been refinished but it depends as we cannot see the whole neck.

Davo

Attached Files:

14. definitely refin. wrong coloring and the outside edges are sprayed wrong.

15. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Here is my '62 J.

The body is refin. Neck is original except for frets. Most of the electronics are original except the bridge pup which was rewound at Fralin, and where they did not return the rewind on the original bobbin. Long story, but water under the bridge.

I'll say this - determining authenticity of original vs refin can be a slippery slope. For example, I am dead sure my neck finish is original; but the back of the neck is NOT worn off; and it is definitely not a respray. Anyhow, assessing what has and has not been refin'ed is getting harder; and at some point may lose some of its relevance. My < 2c.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  16. ? did they pull the pole pieces off the bobbin or something?

17. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    No. They sent it back with a different bobbin; even though my accompanying letter explicitly requested that the original bobbin be rewound and returned.

I called and they told me that they never kept track of bobbins, because it doesn't matter. They said they just grab whatever is laying around. This was roughly 1993 or 1994; so, kind of early in the vintage collector days. I suspect something else actually happened, and that I did not get the straight story.

They may have changed since then; but, that's what happened to me. I would not use them again because of it.

18. zacmac

zacmac

Dec 10, 2012
    Looks like a 1968 factory refin. is it a poly finish? It kind of looks to be

19. i dont get it. if the original bobbin wasnt used (with the original magnets) than they sent you a new fralin pickup and didnt rewind anything right?

20. zacmac

zacmac

Dec 10, 2012
    The wierd thing is that I dont believe that the tone pot has been unsoldered. it is presumably original being 5262 dated and the ground wire looks to be unsoldered. they could have pulled it out from the bridge and fed it back in that way. Also the paint nail holes were reused if it was refinished. One guy blacklighted it and felt like nothing had been oversprayed on the neck but it does not have much wear as you pointed out. Strangely enough, the frets are 100% original and have never been dressed and have virtually no wear. It is certainly not a recent refin as the wear looks 100% authentic (especially the way the laquer has checked into the grain and the wear marks are flaking, not sanded) and the guy I bought it from owned it for 23 years.

That was what led me to initially believe that it was a refin. never seen one with cherry coloring. Three vintage brokers/repairman in town have all told me that its original but I have handled dozens of 60's strats over the years and never have seen one with this little black. The odd thing is that there are absolutely no signs of sanding or stripping and the paint in the neck pocket and cavities is original with no signs of spraying.

I am planning a trip to Gruhns in 2014 and will get a full appraisal then for the insurance man so we will see what they say. Either way it feels and sounds killer for $3800

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021