Fender Rumble Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BumbleB, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Nice pic with the bird, Plaid.

Ryeguy63 and GonePlaid like this.
  2. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Thanks-new avatar pic is from last night.:thumbsup:

Meghans Dad and G-Dog like this.
  3. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    I'm glad your Rumble wasn't the cause.

I've had both my Jazz basses get really buzzy on me now at separate points. First time I brought it in and they just reseated the bridge and ground wire. Second time I thought it was the single coils and thought hey that's probably why the sound so good anyway - true singles. Popped a new bridge on the other night and it's dead silent.

Made my Jazz V sound worlds better too. I might have had a slight change in opinion of if bridges effect tone because of it.

Anyway those tiny cavities on our basses seem to be a place where a small misalignment becomes an audio-calamity.

4. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Anyone else' original knobs get all gunky and sticky?

GonePlaid likes this.
  5. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    Sounds like the grease on your pots is drying up or like someone spilled something down the front/top of your amp. I'd look into how to clean and re-grease the pots.

GonePlaid likes this.
  6. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    Nope, nothing like this. the amp has been sitting in the bag in my studio for awhile and the plastic knobs are decaying.

/\/\3phist0 and GonePlaid like this.
  7. I auditioned today for a classic rock cover band (doing some country too but primarily classic rock stuff) and it sounded fantastic! It wasn’t even close to being pushed (gain at 9 o’clock and master at noon. Compliments from the lead singer on the sound/tone. The “Vintage” button is UNBELIEVABLE! It at least triples the low end. Then, if you want a little more clarity, put your horn on “full” and engage the “bright” button.... holy smokes! Kick a** tone and power. And the amazing thing is, you’re only using 350 watts since the 410 is an 8 ohm cab. Plenty of balls. I’m going to get the Rumble 115 cab and place the 410 on top of it. A 410 + 15 cab; a full 500 watts if you need it. Would cover pretty much any gig... even outside. This 410 has balls galore! I cannot even imagine it paired with a 15. If you don’t need all that power, take either your 410 or 15 solo. That would suffice for many club gigs. Don’t hesitate... pull the trigger. I’m very satisfied and it easily passed the test today. Good luck and let me know if you go with the Rumble 500 and 410. Oh, and by the way, I’ve read extensively that the Rumble series are very solid and RELIABLE. I have an Ampeg BA210v2 and it has a rattling problem. I’ve used it a total of about 30 hours at moderate volumes. Not impressed. This Rumble has it all over the Ampeg!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  8. I have an Ampwedge. Great little product!

“It’s not the size, it’s the angle”.

Meghans Dad, randini and GonePlaid like this.
  9. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    Decaying as in melting? This sounds very odd for any plastic to do under normal temperatures and without exposure to certain chemicals.

I'd try leaving the amp outside of the bag somewhere else for a little bit while also putting some plastic (maybe some old picks or a used water bottle or something) in the bag and leaving it where you'd normally store the amp then see what happens over the course of a week.

Or just replace the knobs and see what happens. Gives you an excuse to try a different style or go for metal knobs, those shouldn't decay and if they do then you might want to see if you're storing your stuff next to a nuclear reactor or something.:wideyed:

GonePlaid likes this.
  10. BlitzCraig

BlitzCraig

Sep 28, 2018
    Nice Kipp - thanks for the update... it'll definitely help me pull the trigger when I get a chance ;)

GonePlaid likes this.
  11. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    IDK where you are but heat/humidity can wreak havoc and if it's put in the bag hot(or cold), it'll hold temperature and any gasses given off will accumulate. Let it breathe.

BBassBassington likes this.
  12. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Yesterday evening I went in to Sam Ash to check out their G-B Shuttle 6.0 & just have a look around.
    Well, lo & behold right at the counter they had two new Reverend basses. The Mike Watt & Mercalli.

Right under them was a Rumble 40 that they were using to trade licks on. They looked at me like I had three heads when I mentioned they knew good timbre, choosing the Rumble 40, since it's what I used at home.
    Anyway, think about that for a bit. The blokes could have chosen a nice big rig to really show off those Reverends & they picked the same amp we're using!

The Shuttle sounds great, BTW, but lacks enough gain for Motörhead, so it's still there.

That Mike Watt Reverend almost converted me to a P-bass guy. It's got at least as much power as a G&L SB-1.
    crazy light too, I'm guessing 7-3/4 lbs.

Reverend Mike Watt Signature Wattplower Electric Bass Guitar | SamAsh

The one they had was powder blue & sans pickguard.

rodl2005, MCF, GonePlaid and 2 others like this.
  13. G'day fellow Rumblers. Haven't been here for a few weeks - been too busy rehearsing and gigging.
    Anyway, we had a pub/bar gig last weekend about a hundred miles from home in a little out of the way Aussie country town, so I took my v3 100 as a spare juuust in case. I've been using my 200c recently and when I was setting up I thought, as it's here, why not try the 100 on top of the 200. So I linked the 100 to the 200 via the effects send/return.
    Massive sound. Couldn't believe how good it was. My favourite sound from the 12" 100 plus the bonus of the 15" from the 200. Now I'm not really techno savvy, but I assume the 100 also drives the 200 to give extra wattage/volume? Is that what happens, because I had a massive sound?
    The 100 gain was at 10 o'clock and master volume at 11 o'clock - which would not normally cut the mustard in our covers rock band at this venue. The 200 volume was at zero so don't quite understand how it all works. I'd be interested in your expert responses.

OldFunBass and GonePlaid like this.
  14. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

AFAIK using Return bypasses everything & goes straight to the power amp.

15. leerod054

leerod054

Sep 28, 2018
    Texas
    Was ask to come here because I play through a Rumble 40 watt now instead of my 250 Twin 10 in. I still go direct into our PA and use it more like a monitor. I changed the 10 out with an Eminence 100 watt 10....way better now and it doesn't hurt the amp. I love the push button EQ with Bright...Contour and Vintage. Never use the over drive though. You can tweak this little thing all day long.

16. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    Right on, @Shadows Bass! If you didn't have an extension cab connected to your R200c then it was running at 140 watts max. That plus the R100c gave you a possible 240 watts max (simple addition).

Whichever amp has the FX Send plugged in is the Master amp and however it's EQ'd that signal is sent through its own power amp and speaker(s) as normal, AND that same EQ'd signal is also sent to the FX Return on the Slave amp, which goes directly to the power amp and speaker(s), regardless of how any of the knobs are set! The entire pre-amp of the Slave is bypassed, if the input is left empty. That's why your Slave can be set at zero volume and still pump out the punch. The volume on the Master amp controls the volume of the Slave amp, too.

See these links about Connecting Amps Together.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  17. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    The original knobs on the v3 Rumbles are «rubberized», like many other products designed to be soft and comfortable to the touch, like remotes etc. These polymers can break down over time, usually (I’m told) through some form of oxidation, and become sticky. Depending on the formulation, external factors like heat can speed up this process. It hasn’t happened to me with Rumble knobs yet, though.

There are several fixes to this that may or may not work, again depending on the exact composition of the polymer, such as cleaning with isopropyl alchohol or Goo Gone. However, amp knobs are so easy to come by that I’d just swap them out.

18. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    I'm definitely going to swap them out, but I was wondering if anyone else had the issue. When I first bought the head, they needed to be replaced because of similar prob, which Fender did under warranty. But now they're really gummy.

thnx

GonePlaid likes this.
  19. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Does anyone have any experience running line level effects into the preamp of the Rumble?

The end of my signal chain is unbalanced line level mono, I would like to feed this into the input of the rumble, but I am wondering if I need to convert it back to Hi-Z before doing so?

GonePlaid likes this.
  20. TheMaartian

TheMaartian Always forward. Never straight.

Sep 23, 2014
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I bought my 200 combo on release, so it's over 3 years old. My knobs are like-new. No stickiness at all. But...the amp has never been out of the house.

Must be an environmental issue, like playing bars/clubs that still permit smoking.

Caution is advised! Old engineers like me don't die. We don't even fade away. We just keep solving problems. Other peeps problems. Often without asking first. :rollno:

Meghans Dad, bdplaid and GonePlaid like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021