1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Rumble Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BumbleB, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. BlitzCraig

BlitzCraig

Sep 28, 2018
    ^^ now THAT'S a post G-Dog

Aaron Houts, GonePlaid and JPDsma like this.
  2. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO

Interested in your thoughts!

3. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016

Sorry it turned into such a totem pole kinda deal, 'cept not a coherent story. :oops:

randini, Aaron Houts and GonePlaid like this.
  4. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016

I'd take it to the nearest Fender shop (without the bag or the story about it) and let them look at it and see what they say. Unless it looks abused they may do a warranty repair/replacement. Can't hurt to try.

5. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016

Indeed, most of us here eagerly await your review of the Rumble 800 HD. It's always interesting to read the thoughts of an obvious veteran bassist. Others here who got it seem quite pleased, as expected.

6. getrhythm

getrhythm

Nov 2, 2015
    New Jersey
    I thought about doing that but there is obvious damage in that corner. It looks like it was dropped, so I didn't think that would fly.
    But thanks for the thought.

G-Dog, Aaron Houts and GonePlaid like this.
  7. surprisetech

surprisetech

Apr 14, 2015
    Australia
    I've had my Rumble 100 for almost 5 years now. Mainly used for practice, but does a few gigs also.
    Daughter borrows it occasionally as a portable PA for some of the activities she organises at the aged-care home. (And yes, she has booked my band to play there on 2 occasions!)
    These current models have a great power to weight ratio for us older blokes!

After what I did to it last weekend, I figured it was high time I put my hand up and posted something about it.
    I love its sound, but occasionally felt it would be nice to have a tweeter option for a bit of extra brightness like the 200 & 500 models offer.
    Did my homework and settled on the Monacor img stage-line HT-30 tweeter. It's a good match from an efficiency and crossover frequency point of view, and one of only a few that would fit in the limited space in the top RH corner of the baffle. Even then I still had to make a flared hole and mount it behind the baffle for a neat fit.
    The woofer rollof occurs just below 5kHz, so sticking with Monacor's recommended crossover frequency and slope (5kHz & 12dB/octave) are pretty much ideal. That made crossover design easy and did not require an LP filter on the woofer.
    I took the signal from the woofer terminals so didn't need to open up the electronics section. The crossover was built on a solder-tag strip and I installed a recessed IN/OUT switch on the baffle as well.
    Efficiency turned out to be a bit higher than the woofer, as you'd probably expect, so after initial testing I added a 5dB L-pad that brought it into line very nicely.
    Crossover with L-pad.JPG Crossover_L-Pad Schematic. Finished product (2).JPG Tweeter label.JPG

Attached Files:

MCF, OldFunBass, G-Dog and 6 others like this.
  8. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    That sux.

Ronzo and Aaron Houts like this.
  9. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Fresh GAS?;)

Aaron Houts and JakobT like this.
  10. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Very sorry to hear that - it's certainly an annoying situation to be in.

That said, its fairly common for companies to protect themselves against consequential damage of this kind. For instance, I don't know of a single gig bag manufacturer that'll cover damage to your bass if the gig bag fails.

Aaron Houts, GonePlaid and Gab124 like this.
  11. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    It does suck though when things get damaged. Years ago I moved to a pelican case and it holds nearly all the small amps I've owned, just pick whichever amp I want and throw it into a shock and water proof case. A one time cost that has given me years of protected gigging in accident prone bars, festivals and traveling.

12. Hello guys and gals.

I wonder if you could share your expertise with me...

I did a gig recently that had a Fender Rumble 500 and Fender Rumble 410. The tone was amazing! Much better than what I am currently getting from my rig. I very much dug it.

Unfortunately, no one locally has that combination that I can try out and experiment with. I am wondering how much of that sound came from the head, how much came from the cab? If I purchase a Fender Rumble 500 and put it through a Markbass 410 rear ported, will I get close to that sound? Or is the cab a big part of the sound?

Thanks a million!

John

Aaron Houts and chupacerveza like this.
  13. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Absolutely. I'm very protective of my gear, so I don't skimp on bags and cases.

But of course, when the bag comes with the product, you can be forgiven for thinking that the manufacturer stands behind both equally, so that when the bag fails and the amp is damaged as a consequence, the manufacturer ought to be liable for that damage as well.

In practice, it usually doesn't work out that way. Fender has great customer service, but the bags are probably sourced from a third-party vendor, hence the shorter warranty. And I'm willing to bet that even if the bag had failed within the one-year warranty period, Fender's liability would only have extended to replacing the bag itself, and not the consqequential damage to the amp.

Caveat emptor, as always.

Aaron Houts, bhendrix, Gab124 and 3 others like this.
  14. jdshimkoski

jdshimkoski

Jun 26, 2019
    I’d actually like to hear a comparison on the 210 vs 410 from someone that has used both as well.

I have the 800 head and a 410, it sounds great but have wondered if I should have gotten the 210 to save myself from the added weight (63 lbs vs 39 lbs).

Aaron Houts and chupacerveza like this.
  15. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I've just been using my 40 for practice. I don't know that I'll buy another. Not because I'm unhappy with the amp, but because I really don't need another amp.

16. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I really like my 40 as a practice amp. I need something small and light, since I don´t have a permanent practice space, and have to set up and tear down each day. I particularily like the fact that it's comparable to my 500, with the same preamp, controls and a 10" driver. I have a Rumble 15 as well, but it's too small and sounds too thin for daily use. I only use that one when on vacation.

If my 40 has indeed given up the ghost, I would have to get some sort of replacement for it, since it's the amp I use most often.

17. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    That's disappointing, but you'll probably have to replace it. Have you considered contacting a Fender Service Center and describe the problem to them? They may know if it repairable and what the cost might be.

Aaron Houts and GonePlaid like this.
  18. Great band practice last night with the Rumble 500h/ dual 410. Had the master volume at about 10:00. My neighbors now know that I play bass!!

That said, I’ll probably only bring one cab to this weekend’s gig. As much as I’d love to use the full stack, it’s definitely overkill for the club we’re playing. But I’ve got an outdoor gig coming up the first weekend in September, and I’ll be using the full rig for that one for sure!!

19. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Good luck with the gig. I would suggest and alternate plan. Take both cabs. Additional speaker surface moves more air and presents a fuller sound. Just dial the volume back to 8 or 9. Two cabs will not be twice as loud as one, so you can control the volume. It will sound better.

20. Yeah, and I’m really digging the fullness of sound with both cabs. Maybe it’s just me, but something special happens when I run the 500 at 4 ohms. Seems warmer.