1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Rumble Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BumbleB, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    I have used my Rumble 100 in practices so loud that I had to wear ear plugs... and I only had the volume turned up to "M".

nico485 and Mushroo like this.
  2. nico485

nico485

Sep 10, 2010
    Arkansas, USA
    Starting to wonder if there's something wrong with my 100 combo if people are being able to use it with drums and guitar. With a fairly loud drummer and guitarist playing through a semi small combo, I've had gain to noon and master up to 3 and still had to boost mids and crank some drive to get heard. From the way my 100 has performed, it's been the same amount of amp as my 40 for home practice and acoustic jams, but unless you were in a very subdued, quieter blues band or jazz band, I couldn't see it working. There's no feel it in your chest bass presence there. Might be perfect for you though, if like GregT says, it's at tasteful volumes where people could still be heard talking loudly, but if either our guitarist or drummer is doing anything you can't even hear yourself speak let alone anyone else. I would imagine a church or gospel setting would be fine with a 100. I don't know that I've ever seen someone just rock the piss out of some drums at a church event. Maybe I've just visited the wrong churches haha.

Mushroo likes this.
  3. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Rumble 200 combo all the way for a Blues Band. Plus you can add an extension speaker cabinet. I like the smooth wide dispersion that 15's give. With the Rumble 100 it is combo only.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    99Z3 and Mushroo like this.
  4. nico485

nico485

Sep 10, 2010
    Arkansas, USA
    Like 11 o clock?!? What was your gain at? I haven't felt the need for earplugs yet as we aren't that loud. I don't think anyways. No ringing or that "I've just been to a concert and can't hear someone right in front of me speak" feeling.

hondo4life likes this.
  5. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    What is the Tone Settings thread that I've seen mentioned here?

6. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Yes double wattage = +3dB in volume, which is a significant increase. +10dB = twice as loud. ie: 110dB is twice as loud as 100dB
    db_chart.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    btmpancake and GregT like this.
  7. Linnin likes this.
  8. Scott Truesdell

Scott Truesdell

Sep 26, 2014
    Costa Mesa, CA
    None
    There is the "Tone Pool" which gets additions every so often: Fender Rumble Club "TONE POOL"

Take these setting/descriptions as starting points.
    Room characteristics, strings, active/passive bass controls, location of amp, etc. all have an influence on settings.

btmpancake, 99Z3 and Linnin like this.
  9. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    99Z3 and Linnin like this.
  10. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Gosh! Such a friendly helpful club! :thumbsup:

DerekW, GregT, Mushroo and 3 others like this.
  11. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Has anyone tried stacking two Rumble combos vertically to make a mini-stack-of-doom?
    What would be the best way to connect them? Effects send on combo 1 -> Effects return on combo 2?

Scott Truesdell and Linnin like this.
  12. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Oh yes with photos and diagrams, and yes FX Send amp1 to FX Return amp2.

Mushroo likes this.
  13. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    I believe the Gain was up around 2:45...

14. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I wonder how two stacked Rumble 100's ($299 x 2 = $598) would compare to one Rumble 500 ($599) or something like an Ampeg Micro-VR + SVT210AV stack ($599).

15. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    If I knew how good my Rumble 100 was going to be, I would have ordered two of them back when they were on sale for $200.

Mushroo likes this.
  16. Scott Truesdell

Scott Truesdell

Sep 26, 2014
    Costa Mesa, CA
    None
    We've literally JUST gone over this... and over and over... a few pages back.
    I think the consensus was: it depends on what you already own. In most cases the larger combo will be the better more flexible solution going forward.

Dem 12s though...

Mushroo likes this.
  17. slap2much

slap2much Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Just wanted to weigh in on the 'loud enough to hear myself' and 'loud enough to wear earplugs' discussion...

There are so many variables factoring into hearing yourself that it's pretty tough to compare with anyone else's experience -- size of your space, proximity to other amps (and how far you are from your own too!), drummer's volume, type of music, etc...getting one or more of your speakers up closer to ear level is huge, using walls either next to or behind your amp also. I was able to get through a practice with just my Rumble 40 a few weeks ago (it does have an upgraded Basslite S2010 speaker) but I did have to ask my drummer to play as softly as he could, elevate the amp to about 4 feet off the ground and stay pretty close to it. At higher volumes you might be missing the feel of your notes in addition to the sound, in that case more speaker area (either by more or bigger drivers) needs to be added in addition to power. For me the modular setup of head plus 2 1x12 cabinets, (formerly 2 2x10 cabs) is enough for playing with drums, 2 guitars. keys and vocals/a wind instrument etc...I've used a number of different heads rated from 300W to 800W, including a V2 Rumble 350 and a V3 Rumble 500, and they were all fine in terms of max usable volume. If I am 100% certain I'll only need one cab it's nice to be modular but even at lower volumes two sound better and I can hear myself without having to turn up as much. I had a chance to demo a Rumble 200 for a couple weeks, it kept up sorta OK with a full band but (imo) it doesn't give you that cushion that the 500 does.

And about ear protection -- it's true that you are doing damage to your hearing long-term even if you're not getting that "can't hear a damn thing" feeling, it's also true that prolonged exposure (meaning for example a 2-3 hour rehearsal) is a lot worse than momentary exposure. A drum kit for example is well over the 85db threshold for long-term damage at (usually) 100+db, so if you need to be heard over that you're doing damage for sure. I'm pushing 50 and used hearing protection more often than not -- I'm still functioning OK but have pretty profound and noticeable hearing loss. Don't mean to preach, but musician's earplugs all the time are really a good idea.

nico485, hondo4life and Mushroo like this.
  18. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks much, I will flip through the previous dozen pages or so. Apologies for being late to the party and re-asking previously-asked questions. There is a lot of information in this mega-thread to take in all at once. :)

19. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Get the 500C.

BTW: speaking from my own (modded) 100C and 500C (&210) experience.

99Z3, Mushroo and Linnin like this.
  20. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    The 'Voice of Experience'! :thumbsup: Actually we have an absolute ton of valid real world experience here in this club. :bassist:

99Z3, btmpancake and Mushroo like this.