Fender Rumble Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BumbleB, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Waiting for my 500 combo...today's outdoor gig may see the Rumble 100 though...love the tone!

Linnin likes this.
  2. west al

west al Ready, PLAY! Supporting Member

An amp worthy of the name Fender on it.

RC52 and Linnin like this.
  3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    It is a beautiful thing! :thumbsup: Thanks much for that fabulous gig report, mikecd1, and your tone settings too. :bassist:
    :cool: Rumble On! :cool:

mikecd1 likes this.
  4. furym

furym

Aug 31, 2014
    Carthage, NC
    Rumble 150, I needed a practice amp for home that still let my bass sound like a bass. Those little 15W practice amps just don't cut it. I think the build quality is excellent for the price tag and it suits my needs just fine. So, how do I get a number? :D

Linnin likes this.
  5. I could have, but I was trying to keep it mature.

camardelle likes this.
  6. stevie p

stevie p

Apr 27, 2005
    these new rumble amps are true genius. who ever designed this had to be a bass player. the tone is fantastic, room filling, warm and thumpy.doesn't sound like the 'peg, the fender has a much fatter and punchy low end. this combo sounded beautiful no matter what we played. the compressor limiter circuit is perfect. each note has an even sound with just the right amount of sustain.the overdrive really comes out with rounds and a pick, actually it was way too loud for the venue. its light weight, has excellent tone, stunning looks.it appears fender really thought this design out. I sill enjoy the 'pegs tone, but this rumble is special.

mikecd1 and Linnin like this.
  7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Welcome to the Fender Rumble Club, furym! You are member #235 :hyper:

:D Rumbles Rule! :D

furym likes this.
  8. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Fender's principal engineer, Dave Lewis, is a bass player and has been involved with the Rumble line since it's inception. Fender also employs a lot of bass players in various capacities throughout F.M.I.C.
    :laugh: Rumbles Rock! :smug:

9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I'd like to talk a bit about Fender's patented Delta-Comp Limiter. This circuit was developed over 20 years ago and has been used mostly in solid state PA and bass amplifiers. It's been integral to the Fender Rumble since day one, and has been especially tweaked for this application.

If you look at the block diagram in your owner's manual, you'll see the Delta-Comp Limiter is placed in between the pre-amp and the power amp along with a special power amp clip detection circuit.

The Rumble 350's owner's manual describes Delta-Comp this way:
    "Rumble bassamplifiers are equipped with Fender・s Delta-
    Comp limiter to minimize power amp distortion and increase
    sustain. Setting the VOLUME control to higher settings
    or playing aggressively with hotter basses may result in a
    heavily compressed sound with increased sustain. Using the
    ・6dB switch or setting the VOLUME control lower will provide
    a less compressed sound with more dynamic range and
    increased touch-sensitivity."

While the Rumble 500 owner's manual has almost nothing to say about Delta-Comp: "
    Rumble amps are equipped with Fender's Delta-Comp™ limiter. Setting the MASTER higher or playing more aggressively will result in more compression and sustain! "

So what you end up with is a highly effective form of compression that is both dynamic and adaptive to you and your style of play in real time. Stompbox compressors or other brands built in compressors are very limited to the manual settings you select. They are static and cannot adapt to you and change themselves while you play. Also they are in front of the pre-amp, and not in between the pre & power amp stages as Fender's Delta-Comp is.
    All this adds up to a highly effective but unseen bit of electronic magic that I call "the secret sauce" in Fender Rumble's signature tone. You hear the results, but you don't hear it actually working unlike heavy handed compressors that you actually hear working/breathing your signal's capture/compression/release cycle.

You'd have to spend more money than your Rumble cost to buy a studio grade compressor to get better.

:cool: Fender Rumbles Don't Cost A Million Bucks. They Just Sound Like They Do! :cool:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  10. nitrofix

nitrofix Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Well I went ahead and picked up my new rig, Rumble 500 and the 1-15" ext cab..I was lucky enough to walk in the Sam Ash near me and they had both in stock, brand new in the box..Let me tell you this is the BEST rig I think I have ever played through and this thing is LOUD and sounded amazing. I guess it's time to sell off my other rig and pick up another 500 as a backup, although I don't think I'll ever need it. Another cool thing is at the end of the gig I picked up the combo in one hand and the cab in the other and took it up the stairs to the cart, Beautiful..If anyone is on the fence about this amp go for it....Thanks to all you guys here (Linnin) for the Great reviews...
    IMG_0613.jpg

11. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    nitrofix, you rock, baby! :woot: Welcome to the Fender Rumble Club. You are member #236 :hyper:

:laugh: Rumbles Rock! :smug:

12. nitrofix

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Thanks Man...Got a question for ya..Do you know if Fender has covers for these amps/cabs ? If not do you know where I could find one that fits, I would really hate to mess up the these beauties...Thanks

Linnin likes this.
  13. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Sadly no, Fender does not offer Rumble covers. Two companies that come highly recommended are LeCover https://lecover.com/ and Studio Slips http://www.studioslips.com/original_website/.

14. Hey @nitrofix
    Is that how you had them set up, or did you stack them?
    That's the only downside I see with the combo... With the controls and handle on top, you can't put any other gear on top.

Old P Bass Guy likes this.
  15. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
    LeCovers are perfect.

I'm having one made as you read this

Linnin likes this.
  16. Backyardace

Backyardace

Sep 5, 2014
    Well I bought the Rumble 500 combo last night. I was very temped to add the 15" additional cabinet, but now I have something to look forward to.
    I need to read back through this thread and see if anyone has posted their settings as I am still trying out different tones and would be curious what settings others have found they like.
    I would post a pic, but can't resize it right now.

Linnin likes this.
  17. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Welcome to the Fender Rumble Club, Backyardace! :woot: You are member #237 :hyper:

:D Rumbles Rule! :D

18. nitrofix

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Here are the settings I used last night vintage button on, Played a P Bass with flats...The combo sounds great on its own but adding the 115" ext cab made this thing come alive, not just for volume, which it does but the overall sound
    Settings.jpg

19. nitrofix

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Hey Clark, with the LeCovers do you just send them the dimensions and they custom make them for you ?? How much is it gonna run ya for the covers ?? Thanks Man

20. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Hey Backyardace,

I'm pretty much a nooner-guy when it comes to knob settings, but after reading this forum I began to see people experimenting with a lowering of the low-mid knob to about 10:30, and it really cleaned up some of the boom of my 115 cab. I usually leave everything else flat, using the tweeter switch on the back of the cab to control higher frequencies. Gain is always set to taste, but 11:00 to 12:00 gives me plenty of boom. Try playing around with the "vintage" button in as well. I actually like that with a little less gain because it does such a nice job filling out the tone. The best thing, in my opinion that's not always humble, is the variety of tones you can coax out of that 4-lb. head.

Good hunting and let us know what you come with!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021