1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

first bass to give you GAS?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jomahu, Feb 27, 2008.

1. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    what was it? when was it (how old were you, how long had you been playing)?
    and did you surrender to your will?

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Back in the mid 1970's, I remember going into the local, small town music stores looking at the Fenders with their pickup covers and ashtrays. I haven't been straight since.:D

3. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    When I was about 11, a violin bass copy in a local music shop. I bought it and still love it.

4. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    IN order? Epiphone Jack signature/ now/ 58/ 45years/ I WILL have it!

5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Real, true major GAS:
    The first Tobias I saw/played. 1987, I was 26 and had been playing bass for about 6 years. I did bought one. Selling it is one of my few bass regrets, and I am absolutely stoked to have bought and now be playing another one.

6. ogrossman

ogrossman

May 20, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    Back in the early 80's, it was a red Rickenbacker with "Rick-O-Sound"

7. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    I was 17 and my first bass was a Westbury Track II. Not a bad bass in hindsight but after getting into Jaco I wanted a Fender Jazz more than anything in the world. Being left handed didn't make my search any easier, but I finally found a '72 black block J and it's been my main bass for 25 years.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I was 14, had been playing for less than a year. It was a Warwick Corvette. I never bought it, or any other Warwick.

9. Mine was a Rickenbacker when I heard Geddy Lee playing one in the late 70's. I had to have one and I did, but sold it about two years later.

10. It was a Ric 4001 "JetGlo" in about 1982. I think it was a '78 but I never did get to buy it. Ended up buying my first bass 4 years later. It was a '79 Gibson Victory Artist, kept it for sentimental reasons until about 7 years ago.

11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I'd say it was 2003, when I was 36 and had recently returned to playing from a ten year hiatus. After an unhappy stint with an active Ibanez, I played a DiPinto Belvedere, and knew immediately I needed one. The GAS hit, big time. I bought it a couple of weeks later. That was my first truly great bass, and was followed by a Fender Jazz a few months later. The GAS has continued, and I now have seven basses, all Fender and G&L apart from the DiPinto. But, through it all, I'd say the DiPinto is the most consistently great sounding of the bunch.

12. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    When I saw Def Leppard videos in high school Rick Savage was always playing some uber cool Hamer Explorer. I'm waiting for a good high end explorer 5 string by maybe Warwick.

13. rzm61

rzm61

Feb 26, 2008
    So I hate to ask this and seem like a n00b, but what do you guys mean by GAS?

14. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio, Epifani
    I remember the bass. I want to say the Ebay auction atated it was like the 8th Warwick thumb that was ever built. THis thing was beautiful. The body style was cooler than anything i had seen and it had woods that i didn't even know how to pronounce. It looked like a bass that came with chops built in. I believe it was and '85 (first production year of the THumb) and now i have the honor of playing an '88 thumb that is just the ticket for me.

15. Rickenbacker Bass. I've wanted it since 1982.

In 1982, I had just started playing bass and had learned all the Loverboy songs that I cared to, so I started in on Rush's Moving Pictures album. Then Hemispheres and Permanent Waves.

I finally bought the Rick about a year ago.

16. Lon86

Lon86

Jan 21, 2008
    Venice, CA
    A 1983 red metallic Ric 4003...

I saved up all summer and paid cash for it when I was 14.

Put Barts in it when I was 16.

Still have it...The bass is awesome!:bassist:

17. Lon86

Lon86

Jan 21, 2008
    Venice, CA

I used to have one of his old white Hamer Scarabs...

Very cool, just was not my style.

18. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I've never owned a Precision but have always wanted one despite the fact that I've only play 5 strings. Well, now I'm *dying* to try Fender's new P5.

To answer the OP's questions ... It started the second I heard about them, it continues to this very minute, I don't yet have one, I've been playing for about 7 years, and I'm 43.

To rzm61... GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome. In other words, unbridled gear lust based solely on gluttony to try something new or something percieved to be better than you already have or have had. It's severity is directly related to the amount of time spent on Talkbass.

19. emesen

emesen

Jan 3, 2007
    Lake Forest, Ca
    For the NOOB: G.A.S = Gear Acquisition Syndrome - For me it was the purchase of my first fender a year and a half ago, I have bought 3 more since then...

20. When I first saw one of Stanley Clarke's Alembics, sometime in the late 70's. I wouldn't buy a bass -- or play one -- until 2006.