1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Blues Jam!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ericw, Oct 19, 2009.

1. ericw

ericw

Aug 19, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    I went out to the local blues jam Friday night but left the bass in the car as I wasn't sure if I wanted to play or not. Turned out there was hardly anyone there this weekend for some reason - except for the old salesman talking my ear off. Anyway I signed up and jammed with some of the older guys. I was pretty nervous and the first song was pretty quick tempo. I got lost a few times but the bassist who played before me brought a beer up for me and said some nice things. Then we played Red House which was nice and slow and (I think) I sounded pretty good on that one.

It was a lot of fun though and the one younger guy got my phone # as their bass player is moving away or something. Hopefully I can get a lot of practice in this week and go back out this Friday.

2. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Rock on!

3. Only gets better! Congrats!

4. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    Congrats! Keep going. They'll get to know you and you'll get more playing time and get partnered with better players.

5. Shuffle

Shuffle

Sep 28, 2009
    Way to go!!! Just get out there and play.

6. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I am going to try and sit in on the bass for 1 or 2 songs tonight at the open blues jam I have been attending. I have been going primarily to play harmonica, but the siren call of the bass that is there has become strong.

7. ericw

ericw

Aug 19, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    I kind of feel bad when there are such better players there and I get up and make mistakes here and there. At the same time I want to improve and I feel there's only so much playing along with blues jam tracks in the bedroom can do - it was completely different.

8. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    At an open jam, such playing is not a surprise, and somewhat expected. The folks at the jam I attend are nice guys, all of them. The main bass player brought his new MusicMan fretless in 2 weeks ago. If I had known how much it cost, I might not have asked to play it! :shock:

But, you gotta learn somewhere.