First recorded song you ever remember hearing…

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by roccobass, Jan 25, 2022.

1. roccobass

roccobass Still funkin’ in the free world. Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2014
    California
    Yeah, it’s 3:30am and woke up earlier.
    Watching the Ken Burns Jazz series on DVD and it just flashed on me the very first recorded tune I heard was this song by this legend. I think I might have been just about 2 years old and was on our phonograph player. Yeah, it might be corny to some of you, but it’s still one of most upbeat and happy ones to me. That and he’s just a great trumpet player. Any others have a way back one to post this day? ;)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  2. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I've been working on the railroad...

3. roccobass

Jun 25, 2014
    California
    Who’s version?

bassandboy and dralionux like this.
  4. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I have no idea. It's just a song I remembered hearing many times. By different people. Like a folk song.
    But I never hear it anymore which seems strange.

5. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Recorded? Maybe it would be Moon River by Andy Williams.

6. roccobass

Jun 25, 2014
    California
    Yeah, that one came later for me. He had a great vocal on it.

ElectroVibe likes this.
  7. Texaspandj

Texaspandj

Feb 13, 2021
    Heart Of Texas
    Since I was 9th out of 11 kids, I had teenage siblings in 1968, meanwhile I was 5yo. But pretty much any pop song from 1968. They were like back ground music.

However it would be one of two songs from 1968 that I specifically remember. One being Crystal blue persuasion.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    roccobass and ThudThudThud like this.
  8. SoonerBill

SoonerBill Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2017
    I have no idea but it would have been something by Andy Williams, Perry Como, Bing Crosby, etc. that mom played on the old console record player.

funkinbottom and roccobass like this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The entire Niel Diamond "Hot August Night" album. My mother wore the grooves out on two copies of the vinyl. I was born in July 1971 and that album came out in '72.

10. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Dayton, Tennessee
    Up Where We Belong, Joe Cocker/Jennifer Warnes on my mom’s 8-track in her ‘77 Regal driving home one cold night. White vinyl seats. Maybe I was 5.

mikewalker and pjbassist like this.
  11. lark_z

lark_z Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2020

mikewalker, bassdude51 and roccobass like this.
  12. Benj-jammin

Benj-jammin Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2020
    North Carolina
    I Saw Her Standing There - Beatles

13. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    My parents played the radio a lot so I have no memory of a specific firs "recorded" song I heard but I know the first record I actually remember was Bobby Helms new hit "Jingle Bell Rock" when I was five or six years old.

My uncle gave us a 45 record player and that record for Christmas in the late 50's. I learned later that it was extremely difficult to find since it was so popular. For decades he drove a Greyhound bus for a living from Philadelphia to Miami and bought it during one of his trips in December.

The walkdown in the intro of that song is what got me interested in bass.

My uncle has been driving that big bus in the sky for about 12 years and I will never forget him or that gift.

Thanks, Uncle Bud. :thumbsup:

14. My dad passed away when I was 9, as an electronics buff we had an awesome homemade stereo system with speakers built into the bookshelves,

The 45 rpm of Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever played incessantly & in his glory he would conduct the orchestration in the middle of our den. I can still hear it.

15. 4-stringB

4-stringB

Jun 10, 2010
    Tallahassee
    "Don't Sit Under The Apple Tree, With Anyone Else But Me."

mikewalker, timmo97 and roccobass like this.
  16. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Love that he conducted while the record was playing. I did similar stuff when I was growing up, my parents thought I might want to be an orchestra conductor...or maybe I just had control issues. My father was also into electronics and we worked on a couple of projects together. I wound up having a career as an electronic engineer.

mikewalker, portpc and roccobass like this.
  17. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Might've been...

18. Vitamin D

Vitamin D

Jan 29, 2021
    Pennsylvania
    Can't be sure, but late 70's, I know my mom had some of these on AM radio:
    - All I Have To Do Is Dream (Everly Brothers)
    - Love Me Do (Beatles)
    - Monday Monday (Mamas and Papas)

One of the strongest memories I have of consciously listening to a song and its lyrics was "Hotel California", in the backseat of the car driving through the Poconos, probably around 1980. I heard "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave" and my six year old self thought: "That's deep, man." :cool:

mikewalker, sabre79 and bholder like this.
  19. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive

Apr 23, 2014

It was one of these treasures, no doubt, at my grandfather's place where I first found a home. It was a mixed blessing :)

Lee Moses, mikewalker, portpc and 2 others like this.
  20. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Might not have been the very first, but my brother and I spun the crap out of this one as little kids. I was maybe 3 years old? We had a tube record player! Take that you vinyl snobs :roflmao:

mikewalker and bholder like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022