1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flying V Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GugaBass, May 9, 2010.

1. GugaBass

GugaBass

May 8, 2010
    Hi everyone!

My dream has ever been on owning an Flying V Bass. But...
    In Europe, the only one I found whas this one from Epiphone .

Im pretty scared that there's so "much" choice for bassists here. Did the American or Canadian have more diversity than I ?
    Otherwise, what do you think from this Epiphone bass ? It's an Epiphone... I never owned any Epiphone, so if anyone of you could help me ... (I wants to buy it if there is no Flying V in America..) :confused:

Thanks everyone :hyper:

2. First i have played those , they are good bass but not my style, neck dive and sitting down with a V it slides of your leg. They sound good tho.

Epiphone makes good basses i have a epiphone jack casady and its a fine bass.

3. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    It only slides off your leg is you sit with it improperly for playing a V.

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Welcome to Talkbass! Unfortunately there are not many flying V basses on the market anywhere. There's Epiphone, Dean, custom-made (by Alembic and by smaller luthiers), and older/vintage basses on the used market.

Epiphone makes some very good basses, and some "OK" ones, and some cheapo beginner basses. The one in that thomann link seems like one of the good ones though (from the description).

5. GugaBass

GugaBass

May 8, 2010
    So you mean waiting my trip to Canada wouldn't help me at all ?

I've found, like you said, an Dean Bass
    On thomman too
    Sounds good too. But I heard Dean Guitars used to be very heavy. Is it ?

But now my problem would be with the string spacing ... I'm not a slapper, my game is based on speed mainly ...

6. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    What Bongo said.

Also, as far as I know the best production made V bass ever made were by Ibanez in the 70's.

7. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    I've played one or the cheaper ones of theirs. Not heavy, but I thought it to be crap.

8. GugaBass

GugaBass

May 8, 2010

It means I should choose the Epiphone. Right ?

9. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    I like Epiphone and don't liked many Deans so I am biased.

The Epiphone is a short scale so it will balance better.

But if you don't like 30" scales then you might not want the Epiphone.

10. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The only way it could help is if you got a better price for the same Epiphone in Canada.

11. GugaBass

GugaBass

May 8, 2010
    mhhh... This way I think i'll buy the Epiphone or Dean here on Europe and go with more money for another Bass in Canada, it will be the easier I think ...

I should now choose between the Epiphone and the Dean ones ...

12. GugaBass

GugaBass

May 8, 2010
    Otherwise... Is the Dean on my link a short scale too ? it's written anywhere on my Thomman's page :/ .
    Sure that for what I use to play (she gonna be dropped on D) , a short scale is not what I will need ...

13. Yeah i dont like sitting the "proper" V , looks dumb to me and is uncomfortbale.

14. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Ha! I don't find it so. when sitting properly with a V the instrument stays where it is so your limbs are totally free to move about without having to worry about it shifting or moving.

15. Hi.

I haven't played the V, but if it's anything like the LTD Explorer I have, You won't be dissapointed with it.

Deans however are a different story for me. I have only played them in stores, usually in ones that do setups to every floor models, and I have yet to find a single one that I'd buy. They just feel and sound extremely cheap, and even for the low price, I feel they're still too expensive.

The sitting down playing can be improved vastly with a non-slip strip on the lower wing (like in the original V's), or with a Steinberger (style) hinged rest like in V-91.

Regards
    Sam

16. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
  17. GugaBass

GugaBass

May 8, 2010
    120$ Shipping fees o_O . Whaou! With so much shipping, it's even better buying and European Bass. I think I'm going to buy the Dean ... Need to sell my Schecter first :/

18. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
  19. GugaBass

GugaBass

May 8, 2010
    Too expensive too :/

I think I gonna buy the Dean one. It's the only one that an European can afford.
    It's alright! Th all for your help!

20. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    It all depend on your point of view and budget. I got a tax refund and do to being overworked I have almost two weeks of vacation that is getting cashed in. And I have wanted one for 18 years, so....