1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fugazi's Joe Lally

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by funkysurfer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. I've been listening to Fugazi lately and I was wondering why I haven't seen this guy appear in a thread of his own. I really dig Joe's compositions and tone. His basslines are very catchy and really stand out in the mix.

Anyway, I figured I'd start a thread on him because it is well deserved. Those who haven't heard Joe's playing should definitely give Fugazi a listen.:bassist:

Adios,
    FS

NoiseNinja likes this.
  2. ...Still wondering.

3. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I really like Joe's style of playing. It fits the music very well. The song Brendan #3 on Repeater is awesome. It's not a complicated bassline but it has a great groove with the drums.

4. He's not a chops player, so a lot of dudes ignore him, but Fugazi's rhythm section was one of the best in rock. I was once hanging out with the bassist from the Dismemberment Plan and I mentioned that I considered the D-Plan's rhythm section the equal of Fugazi's (I mean, they were damn tight), and he was seriously blushing.

I love Lally's playing on the Ataxia album with John Frusciante and Josh Klinghoffer. It's pretty much a clinic in how to create a gently throbbing groove.

5. 'sup hanging-out-with-Eric-Axelson buddy. He played one of my Reverends.

Joe is one of my favorite bassists ever. Fugazi's songs are almost all built around him. I have seen them live many a time, and they are amazing on just about every level.

6. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Joe's the man! A great band like fugazi can never reach that pinnacle without a great bass player and drummer, and Joe and Brendan provided those big time. I saw fugazi probably 6 or 7 times and joe was always rock solid. Not fancy, not a lot of notes but steady and played just what was needed.

Thanks for starting this thread and, hopefully, opening the eyes of others to this great and underrated bass player.

7. quotidian

quotidian

Feb 26, 2006
    I saw Fugazi play many times in Olympia and Seattle. Nirvana opened for them during one show. I dig Joe's playing on their first EP, especially on Waiting Room and Suggestion.

8. I love Joe's basslines. Simple, catchy, tight. I enjoy playing along to Repeater - it's easy to pick up the basslines by ear and groove along to a great cd.

9. i absolutely love fugazi.

one of my top 3 bands.

can't say anything bad about joe.

10. "Waiting Room" is one of my most favorite basslines in music. Great line, great opening to 13 Songs. It was the first Fugazi song I heard and it pretty much blew my mind.

11. Got any recommended Fugazi listening fellas?

12. Joe is one of the best!! He holds down the fort and keeps the machine running. Fugazi is the only band that has never left my CD rotation. That and they have never let me down on an album. I like them all, front to back every song.

13. Start with 13 Songs and Repeater + 3 Songs, and then get Red Medicine. In on the Kill Taker is really good, as well; Steady Diet of Nothing and the last two albums (End Hits and The Argument) don't do as much for me. YMMV.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  14. +1 on "13 Songs" and "Repeater + 3 Songs"

I would also recommend "End Hits".

NoiseNinja likes this.
  15. In on the kill taker and Repeater + 3!

16. This thread is a bit stale now, but I figured I'd throw in my .02 for the cause...

Joe Lally is a very underrated bassist. I've been a huge Fugazi fan for about 16 years now. His basslines are always simple but sharp. Fugazi's democratic, 'all for one' attitude accounts for Joe standing out in the mix. Fugazi is by far the most honest, principled, and hard working band in rock. I hope they get back together soon. The world could use a band like Fugazi right now.

17. Probably not gonna happen. Anyone know what's up with Guy Picciotto these days, anyway? I know he's done some production/engineering work on a few albums here and there, but unlike Lally and MacKaye he hasn't actually played or sung on a non-Fugazi album since The Argument.

18. I already told this to P McF, but I had the good fortune to be working in the same studio as Joe Lally this week, and was present as he (and Ian Mackaye) finished his solo record. And get this: he borrowed my basses to play on a couple tracks.

[​IMG]

19. tomthedude

tomthedude

Jun 8, 2004
    Scotland!
    you have to listen to the album 'The Argument' its just quality right the way through. I really like his style because you can tell he always extremely tight and always striving to play something unheard of.

And as for not playing chops- thats the guitarists job isn't it?

also make sure you play along with the arugment and you'll see how clever the album is pure brilliance.

Tom

20. Getaway Driver

Getaway Driver

May 31, 2009
    Omaha, NE
    Bringing this one back from the dead because it must be done...

Just threw on End hits on a whim and I'm loving every minute of it.