Funny Bridge

Discussion in 'Bass Humor [DB]' started by pmckinney4, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
  2. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    I remember seeing a photo of a three-legged bridge (cast aluminum?) with circular feet on spidery little legs. It looked like something out of a Dr. Seuss book!

Steve Swan
  3. I bet that sounds great... psyche! lol
  4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Especially when those big screws start working their way through the top, like they did on the example I played.
  5. Framus, at one time, endorsed by Mingus, believe it or don't, used to make a bridge similar to this well as the German cut-away craze of the late 50's.
    I use the word craze facetiously (how the hell do you spell that?)
  6. I recently had the pleasure (?!?!) to borrow a bass from the local high school that has a metal bridge. The thing looks like a hockey mask!:ninja: The other members of the chamber orchestra I play with called it the "Hannibal Lector" bass :D . Surprisingly, it did not seem to significantly alter the sound of the bass although I am sure there was some difference. Also, I'm guessing it may stand up to high school kids a little better than a "normal" bridge. Man, those kids can be hard on stuff :eek:

I really wish I had taken a picture of it before I returned it. It certainly was a conversation piece if nothing else :rolleyes:

Shelly :)
  7. Matt Hare

Matt Hare Supporting Member

That thing on Ebay- a string jack. Back in the day, before adjusters in bridge legs, serious bassists had different bridges. You would slide this thing onto the belly, crank it until it lifted the strings off the real bridge, swap bridges, and lower the strings.
  8. Bridge jacks are still a very handy tool to keep the sound post in place while working on the bridge.
    This is supposed to be a real alternative to a real wood bridge.