G&L Club Part 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Dec 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. I have a '07 Fullerton SB-2, and my playing situation is a little different. Nobody in our band uses an amp. We all use various amp-sim pedals with in-ear monitors with our own personal mixes. I run through a Trace Elliot Transit B into our system, which has a pair of sub-woofers. So I actually run the bridge p/u at about 9 and dial in the neck pickup to add "oomph." Works really well. I was leary of getting a bass with no tone control, but I figured if Timothy B. Schmit can do it with only one volume control, surely I can figure it out with two...and I did.

2. Lucky Chuck

Lucky Chuck Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2019
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    Yeah, an LB-100 is at the top of my GAS list, and probably for similar reasons.

OP, have you been reading this thread very long? Way back, people wrote about how the bridge pickup volume acts like a tone control, changing the overall "flavor" of the beast not just its loudness. IIRC, there were several different "sweet spots" commonly used -- did you try any of those?

They make an SB-2(T) model which has a tone control, and there are also aftermarket kits to add a tone control which plenty of handy people have installed on their own. Yet there also remains a die-hard group that loves the SB2 as is, loudly praising the sound they get without one.

While you've still got it in your house, might be worth your time to do the TB research and then try out some of the "settings." That's up to you, of course. Myself, I'll probably get an SB-2(T) someday just to find out what all the talk is about. (But the LB-100 will come first.)

Either way, good luck to you, bass brother. Enjoy the journey.

Crispus and eccles77 like this.
  3. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I took that approach when I was experimenting with my first SB-2 PJ. I was perfectly content with the "usual" method of blending in some J pup to spice up the powerful split MFD. But by reversing the process I found a different sound palette, more like a traditional PJ array while keeping the baked-in MFD character. The downside was the weaker overall signal strength of course, which can be compensated for. But like a lotta SB-2 fans I always thought "floor it!" with my SB-2. ;)

I think this one was my all-time fave. Butterscotch Blonde/ash, beefy #5 solid maple neck.

100_0237.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    The bridge pickup is designed that way on purpose. You can't think of the SB-2 as a PJ bass. Its a hot p bass. The bridge pickup is designed to move the midrange emphasis. Think of it more like a midrange control on an active bass. The design, as is, is quite ingenious but you have to make the mental leap that it is not what you expect. It is what it is. I went through the same thing many years ago and realized after I did the mods that it was better the way it was. (But I find that with most mods, which I think in general are a waste of time and money.)

Jim C, Protagonist, Crispus and 3 others like this.
  5. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    My feelings also.

I couldn't do without a tone control so I wired mine as an SB-1 and love it. I gigged it for about 3 years before rediscovering my L-2000, which took over as my gigging bass, and it now resides in a friends studio where we did weekly live Youtube streaming until Covid stopped us. With the easing of restrictions we have just started to pick up where we left off 15 months ago.

eccles77 likes this.
  6. I had one a Fullarton Deluxe and like a fool, moved it on.

Thanks for all the reply`s. The bass is a different animal, more kind of it`s own thing and it just wasn`t for me but I will buy another G & L of some kind in the future.

Crispus likes this.
  7. It's funny, I got an SB-2, and now it's the bass I judge every other bass by. No tone control, and now I don't want one on anything else either :)

Boitameuh, Crispus, eccles77 and 5 others like this.
  8. richwag

richwag

Dec 14, 2018
    Nothing at all wrong with this. If a bass doesn't click with you, there's no reason to keep it.

I picked up an SBMM Stingray short scale and it's going to go to a new home. Tried everything I could and I just never bonded with it. Same thing with Squier 70s Jazz bass.

eccles77 and Protagonist like this.
  9. I have my own idiosyncratic tastes when I comes to basses.

I've played a dozen basses with pickups in the jazz configuration: Fender, Warwick, Schecter, Aria, Sire, Ibanez. None ever clicked with me. I love hearing other people play them, though!

10. Nothing wrong with not bonding with a bass and selling it to someone who hopefully will love it. About three years ago I bought a used EBMM 4H StingRay online from Guitar Center. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about with the StingRays. Nice bass but I could never get the tone out of it that would satisfy me. I adjusted the four different knobs, removed the 9 volt battery to make it passive....nothing satisfied me. The G and D strings sounded weak. I sold it about a month or so later. No use keeping a bass that you don't like. And now I'm GASing for a G&L USA LB-100 or SB-1 and, having no experience with any G&L basses in the past, and no dealers that I know of in the St. Louis area, I'm a little hesitant to jump in and buy an SB-1 since I'm not familiar with its tone. I think I'd be safe with the LB-100, since I already have a 2005 Fender American Standard P-Bass and an EBMM Cutlass, knowing that the LB-100 would sound similar to the P-Bass. But the MFD pickups concern me because I can't sit down with an SB-1 and play it before buying it and hearing it for myself how they sound.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Protagonist and Lucky Chuck like this.
  11. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    MFDs are really addictive. (I speak from experience.) However, they’re hot in output and if you back the volume off to 70-75% you’re in very nice P-Bass pickup land. Best of both worlds. The SB-1 has that lovely slightly more carved body seen in the Kiloton as well. Lots to recommend that bass.:thumbsup:

Boitameuh, Murch, Crispus and 5 others like this.
  12. pil101

pil101

Jul 8, 2000
    Finally got a 1K. I have been looking for weeks for one to pop up at a somewhat reasonable price. B412B262-2373-4BA0-8995-A42E45C58156.jpeg

13. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Nice one, Congrats!

pil101 likes this.
  14. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    As an old dinosaur, I like to set my stage volume with the volume pot on the bass at full. Understood that some really hot pickups become somewhat limited this way. Is it possible to wire in a switch with a resistor so that you could leave the volume pot on full and use the switch to toggle to a 70%ish pre set?

dannnnn and Protagonist like this.
  15. Protagonist

Protagonist Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2019
    Detroit-ish
    Ergonomic reasons or tone? I have one too and if I play it sitting down I have to move it to the center of my lap, not on my right leg. That causes all new comfort issues of course, but my left arm is happier that way. I've thought about getting rid of mine as well, but I traded necks with someone so I feel weird about getting rid of a unique bass.

I really want to try a Fallout. I expect the ergos will be right for me.

16. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    SoCal

Yes… I’m not sure of the values one would use, but Hofner viola basses have that built in as a “rhythm/solo” switch.

Jim C likes this.
  17. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Absolutely. Could even implement it as a push-pull on the volume pot.

/\/\3phist0 and Jim C like this.
  18. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Cross posting here, but I am still in the club with a 1999 L2500. Formerly owned by my pal @Raw N Low

14607FF4-281C-44DD-A971-F101AC615605.jpeg 0E282F35-C9AA-4C88-9691-5B67924DCA1A.jpeg

dannnnn, Boitameuh, Murch and 20 others like this.
  19. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
  20. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Fancy seeing you here bromine!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021