G&L Club Part 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Dec 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    I have an ash p bass and an alder jazz. My Yamaha is also alder. My G&L jazz is empress. Since these all have various pickups and strings that is where I get the different sounding tones. I do not think the body wood matters at all for tone

Templar likes this.
  2. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    That’s good to know since it certainly matters for weight!

One Way and Bassclef46 like this.
  3. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    Indeed. My empress is 7.6 or something. Everything else is around 8 to 9.

Protagonist likes this.
  4. Might be looking at picking up a Tribute SB 2 in the black colour as something a wee bit different. Who is rockin one and what do you think?

Only Tribute model owners as the US SB`s are quite this side of the pond.

Crispus and Protagonist like this.
  5. richwag

richwag

Dec 14, 2018
    Bassclef46 likes this.
  6. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    This video is from 2016 but it's new to me, and this beast caught my attention:

Opera Snapshot_2021-06-09_003936_www.facebook.com.png

Oh, and while I've never left the club, having owned at least one G&L bass since about 2007, I've got my first Fallout on the way from right here on TB. Looking forward. My first short scale. I'll do a NBD post in here when it arrives.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    bullitproof, Ellery, dannnnn and 3 others like this.
  7. Crispus

Crispus

Feb 15, 2020
    Tribby sb-2s are great! Brilliant design, IMO. Let the split pup do the talking, add in bridge as needed. I think of it as a tone knob. Also, the volumes need not be dimed; lots of magic in those in-between spots. Experiment with strings, as well. People don’t always love the sound solo, but it’s in there, and theses things kill it in a room or mix!Great value.

8. Cheers man. Ordered it today so should be here tomorrow. I have owned a few US g & l`s and a few tributes and the Tribs are good enough for my needs. I bought what I reckon was the last new M2000 Tribute in the UK a few weeks ago and for the money it`s a great bass. It was made in 2012 so who knows where it has been all this time!

Looking forward to see what different sounds I can get from the pickups on the SB.

Crispus, One Way and David McIntire like this.
  9. bullitproof

bullitproof Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Boston

It's the G&L version of the Gibson Grabber G3! :woot:

10. richwag

richwag

Dec 14, 2018
    Unsure what Tribute models cost, but there’s a gorgeous SB-2 on reverb for $899. If I didn’t have one I’d probably grab it.

11. Thanks for the shout but I`m in the UK. There is one for sale on another site over here but it`s too far away from me.

richwag likes this.
  12. Got the SB2 today and it`s not a keeper I`m sorry to say. I played around with different settings and it doesn`t do anything for me. If I kept it, I would need to put in a tone control and the bridge pickup has quite a low output which was quite a disappointment.

All in all, not as satisfying as my MIM P bass which it was going to replace so back to the shop tomorrow it goes. And to be honest, it was not as nice looking in the flesh as it looked online.

Bassclef46 likes this.
  13. Slaphound

Slaphound Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Maybe an LB100 would suit you best

14. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    Not at all surprising to read. No idea why anyone would want a bass without a tone control. But to each their own. Sucks you have to learn that the hard way. But at least you can return it. I hope.

sidenote. I don’t think G&L are a very popular brand and their qc issues aside I just don’t see a lot of people buying their new stuff. Reverb listings in my watch list have been there for over a year and some basses are still being offered from 2018

the quality seems to be a real big issue too. I’m 4 for 4 on defective basses. The sb1 I just got back was setup great but I noticed the e string was a a little high. So I lowered the saddle until the screw came out and I’m still at 6/64. So now I will need to shim the neck. The whole point of shipping the entire bass was so they could measure the neck pocket and make sure the neck was right. So much for that. Idiots.

Andyman001 and metron like this.
  15. donahue

donahue Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Interesting
    220px-Trollface_non-free.png

David McIntire likes this.
  16. richwag

richwag

Dec 14, 2018
    Sometimes a bass clicks and sometimes it doesn't. I'm not sure many people use the rear pickup by itself. It's more of shaping tone for the split P pickup and has much less output. That said, I run mine super close to the strings to get as much out of it as possible.

I modded my SB-2 to include a pan control and a tone control because I still find a tone control useful. On the USA models, a tone control is optional. Some of the Japanese G&Ls also had it.

I really like mine. With both pickups on it's got a really aggressive brighter tone. Almost sounds like its running through distortion with new strings. The front pickup is much darker. I like the pan better because it's easy to remember where different settings are since it has a center detent.

Good luck on finding your next bass though.

OldSoulDownLow likes this.
  17. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

IOW, you'd want to re-engineer it to behave like all other typical PJ basses? Well the SB-2 is not for everyone, that's for sure, so I understand your disappointment. It takes a different mindset/approach to appreciate the intent behind this guitar. Those who "get it" seem to really like the SB-2 because it can go into a bolder sonic territory, despite its seeming tonal "limitations".

Other G&L bass models have come and gone over the decades, but the PJ SB-2 has endured. A bit of a niche bass for sure, but it excels greatly at what it does. There are a million other PJ basses from virtually every manufacturer in existence, past and present, but there is only one SB-2. I miss mine. :thumbsup:

Good luck in your quest.

Crispus, eccles77, Murch and 4 others like this.
  18. Fortunately not everyone likes the same thing.

That’s why G&L exists. And thrives.

19. ShawnG

ShawnG Supporting Member

May 2, 2020
    Ft Worth, TX
    I’m really sorry to hear about all of your negative experiences with G&L recently. My (previously owned) 2016 USA LB-100 is perfect in every way. You couldn’t build a tighter neck pocket, the neck is great and the tone is pure P-bass+. If things have slid in the years since, I’ll be very disappointed to hear.
    My USA G&L has been a revelation, making me wonder why more people aren’t in on the secret. But based on your experiences, maybe I just need to keep an eye out for an earlier model year used bass in great condition if I decide to scratch my L-2500 itch.

Bassclef46 likes this.
  20. Its not the bass for everyone.

I remember playing a used SB-2 at an out of town GC while traveling for work some years back. I remember that I really liked it, bold aggressive tone, excellent balance & it simply “fit” in a way that few basses do. I remember really having fun with it.

I couldn’t justify it at the time so I have chalk it up as another memory.

Don’t sweat it, there’s so many options out there.

eccles77 and Bassclef46 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021