G&L Club Part 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Dec 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    mellobud likes this.
  2. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    I’m not sure. I think mine is from 2014. I’m waiting on the replacement build sheet from G&L to be sure.

3. Dp1363

Dp1363

Jan 8, 2011
    South Jersey US
    I finally got the bass and it looks great except for the fact it's buzzing like crazy, and stops when you touch the strings. Opened up the control plate. No sheilding whatsoever. I have a Luthier doing a copper shielding job on it.

I don't understand how a company with otherwise great workmanship, didn't at least put on a few coats of sheilding paint. I would have thought that would have been pretty much standard on American made instruments by now.

jmlee and Chewy_B_i_T_s like this.
  4. This lack of shielding is common with G&L. And a real PITA.

Nothing worse than paying big bucks for your dream bass and having to bring it to your luthier as soon as you receive it, because it’s basically unplayable.

jglunt, Dp1363, bdgotoh and 3 others like this.
  5. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    fedex yesterday… “expected to arrive a day early”. Nothing….

Today… “your package is now delayed”.

as of now, it’ll be here tomorrow. We will see

6. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Nothing better than that $2,000 surprise package! My highly optioned JB hums like a chain saw next to certain light dimmers.
    But still better than a custom order where single line items typed on paper could not be remembered or built.

Colarndo, Andyman001 and Dp1363 like this.
  7. bonin in the boneyard

bonin in the boneyard Supporting Member

This thread is starting to read like a Linux forum from 20 years ago.

jglunt, mellobud, TonyP- and 3 others like this.
  8. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    A Tribute L-2000
    Screenshot_20211012-205657_Chrome-01.jpeg

jglunt likes this.
  9. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
  10. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    SoCal
    12.5 lbs… pfft.
    I had a Gibson EDS-1275 for a while. That clocked in around 15 lbs.

Andyman001 and ahadl2500 like this.
  11. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I've bought 3 G&L Custom Shop basses new, none have had shielding. I agree it should be a normal default. I use shielding paint, goes on fast and works well.

Colarndo, TonyP-, Dp1363 and 4 others like this.
  12. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Goes silent when touching strings is often a bad bridge ground

jglunt and delta7fred like this.
  13. Dp1363

Dp1363

Jan 8, 2011
    South Jersey US
    Yea I can except a single coil hum it's to be expected. But grounding noise issues? Seems unacceptable. Shouldn't it be guitar building 101 to make them grounded/shielded properly and noise free?

14. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    Given that G&L give an MRSP of $215 for painting one side of a headstock black, how much would they add for painting the inside of a cavity with shielding paint? :cautious:

15. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Hey Gang...

I like how Steve describes in detail the preamp

16. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Steve working it in a instrumental setting...Check out the low B

IvanBassist, tubatodd and Andyman001 like this.
  17. Lammchop93

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    It’s here!!! And it’s amazing! Almost zero shielding, but that didn’t take long to fix and now no more hum. The neck on this thing is so comfortable and the tone is exactly how a P bass should sound.

2F78B290-666A-455C-802E-FB302941B267.jpeg 1B3DBF3D-7143-4BD9-8318-858C80DDC086.jpeg 2A38EDE4-D62F-47CA-B6D0-57DACEEF9341.jpeg

Colarndo, Templar, Crispus and 11 others like this.
  18. Lammchop93

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I am really digging my Fullerton deluxe lb100. I must say, this is one of the best made necks I have played. The fingerboard is thicker than any bass I’ve had before, and the edges are rolled very generously. It is a joy to play to put it lightly. The pickup is pretty hot compared to my jazz bass, but maybe all precisions are like that?

G&l hit this bass out of the park for sure. The only “complaint” is the shielding. But that’s minor to me.

pjbassist, Murch, Joshua and 2 others like this.
  19. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Lammchop93 and woodyng2 like this.
  20. Lammchop93

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks! It’s called “old school tobacco burst”. But it reminds me of a honey burst.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 7:41 PM
    Gideon 2010 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 19, 2021