G&L Club Part 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Dec 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Agreed. It looks a lot like my honeyburst Stingray, although the Musicman honeyburst has (well, had :() a darker, deeper color at the edge than the G&L does. Not that I think either is prettier, they're both beautiful.

BTW, I'll also apologize for not giving you additional points for the tort pickguard. That's a nice touch on that finish. :thumbsup:

Lammchop93 likes this.
  2. That's heavier than my 1978 Peavey T-40, and those were universally notorious for being heavy.

woodyng2 likes this.
  3. Oddly, my two Tributes have shielding paint in the control cavity while my two Fullertons do not have any shielding there. However, I can't say that my Fullertons (SB-2 and Kiloton) hum any worse than my Tributes (JB-2 and LB-100). None of them hum very badly. I second the motion that your bridge is not grounded well. Also, if you using coated strings, scuff them up very lightly with some sand paper or emery cloth where they cross the saddles. Sometimes that coating keeps them from contacting the bridge and grounding properly.

4. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Wow stunning, that pick guard is perfect for that finish, grats!

Lammchop93 and dave64o like this.
  5. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    Pine and blackburst is not a happy combination. The front is better ... as its half covered by a nice tort guard :smug:

h4wbrawzs71n5gjeyinu.jpg

Wicked G, woodyng2, tubatodd and 4 others like this.
  6. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    SoCal
    I actually like that pine with black burst…

Now that’s an oxymoron…

7. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    In that case, you might like the front view as well, if the tort isn't too much to bear

iuepityv1d6wmocqeho6.jpg

Colarndo, Wicked G, tubatodd and 7 others like this.
  8. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    SoCal
    yep, totally ruined it for me. Black, white, parchment would all work.

Jim C likes this.
  9. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    That's not how you spell thanks for showing me anyway :p

Andyman001, dannnnn, woodyng2 and 3 others like this.
  10. I'm a fan of tort PGs. I put one on my natural 1978 Peavey T-40 and it took it from boring to beautiful. But I agree with TDR1138, it doesn't work on this bass. Fortunately, a PG is an easy thing to replace. Other than that, I like the bass. The grain of the pine through the transparent blackburst is artistically unique.

dannnnn and TDR1138 like this.
  11. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I'm another big tort fan, but I agree that it doesn't always work. And I don't think it works on a black burst. Now, if it were just a plain black, then absolutely!

FWIW and based on those pictures, I quite like that blackburst.

dannnnn, TDR1138 and jglunt like this.
  12. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    Fair enough. To me I thought it looked streaky and blotchy — but if that's a minority opinion, that's definitely a good thing :thumbsup:

jglunt and TDR1138 like this.
  13. dave64o

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I'm OK with agreeing to disagree. :)

jglunt, TDR1138 and Ricky Rioli like this.
  14. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    SoCal
    Frankly, I see this as a perfect example of why G&L needs to offer RMC (rear mount controls) on the LB-100 and SB series, similar to how they do on the guitar line.

pjbassist, dannnnn, woodyng2 and 2 others like this.
  15. Agreed. It's one of the things I like about the JB-2--a jazz bass with RMC. It makes it very sleek-looking IMO. Unfortunately, I believe they now only offer the JB-2 in a Tribute, or maybe as a custom order??? Not that I have anything against a Tribute. My JB-2 and my LB-100 are Tributes, and great basses.

Crispus, One Way and TDR1138 like this.
  16. richwag

richwag

Dec 14, 2018
  17. richwag

richwag

Dec 14, 2018
    Not trying to be a dick, but this is pretty easy to do yourself. Need a soldering iron, a beverage and some patience.

But I know some people just feel uncomfortable working on their own gear.

jglunt likes this.
  18. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    I really like the way the grain and uneven color looks. Gives it a rustic or organic feel. Black pearl or black anodized pickguard would look killer on it.

Ricky Rioli likes this.
  19. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    The frost finish on this one really adds to that

clf1902141_5.jpg

One Way, woodyng2, jglunt and 2 others like this.
  20. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Of course shielding should be included from the factory considering the price point for a USA G&L. On the entry level Tributes?...sure, no shielding is understandable. Gotta make compromises somewhere to keep the price down, and to not discourage potential buyers of USA models.

I'm reminded of the infamous G&L "spring ping" noise issue that was caused by not inserting the much needed little rubber bits into the pickup mounting springs at the factory before installing the pickups. Without those little dampers the springs would vibrate and make an audible ringing sound, which was heard by the pups and added to the output signal. I can only imagine how many players were turned off to the G&L marque when they heard that unacceptable noise.

It seems G&L failed to dampen the springs right around the time that Leo passed, and continued to ignore the problem well into the 2000's. When the issue was finally addressed, their answer was to abandon the spring system in favor of the old school rubber pad system. The original spring system that Leo developed was superior to the simple (read; crude) foam pads of yesteryear, a true improvement. But he realized the springs needed damping to stay quiet. Little rubber chunks dropped into the springs....cheap, fast, and effective. How that little detail was overlooked for so long (and apparently never understood) by BBE is remarkable to me.

That said, I benefitted from the failure when the JB-2 was introduced in 2001 (sans rubber dampers, of course). Having s/c pups meant the JB-2's pickups were microphonic, which is good. But s/c pickups 'hear' everything, way more so than the MFD's. Thus, the JB-2's suffered badly from the "ping" noise. Nice used JB-2's popped up on ebay for cheap money because of it. Score!

I don't have any noise issues with my G&L's, neither older ones nor newer ones. But now I'm curious to know which ones have shielding, or not. Guess I'll have to look inside....

Andyman001, Murch and TDR1138 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 19, 2021