1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L Club Part 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Dec 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Very nice!

Iv@N likes this.
  2. richwag

richwag

Dec 14, 2018
    So what’s the narrow string spacing like? I have an L2K with the 1 3/4” nut and I like the wide spacing. Does the extra string seem to make it feel more like a 1 1/2” nut width?

3. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Mine is a 20 fret and it set up great , no problem with the intonation . Plenty of room for adjustment . This picture is after I set it up . 20200724_132713.jpg

armybass, Iv@N, MTN.bass72 and 11 others like this.
  4. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    That finish is beautiful!

5. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    Holy moly!! I'm really digging that subtle sparkle finish. Gorgeous !

6. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Thanks , I didn't know if I would like the finish when I ordered but it looks great . The picture is pretty close to the color . I love it !

Slaphound likes this.
  7. Iv@N

Iv@N

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, G&L
    Stunning!

8. Protagonist

Protagonist Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2019
    Detroit-ish
    There is a sunburst and maple necked L2000 Tribute for sale 3 miles away from me for $425. Having a very hard time not messaging the seller.

Attached Files:

Murch, Crispus, Michigander and 3 others like this.
  9. Protagonist

Dec 17, 2019
    Detroit-ish
    I messaged him.

Jim C, _seafarer, friend33 and 8 others like this.
  10. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    You did the right thing. :thumbsup:

11. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Wow, you lasted five minutes! Most of us probably wouldn’t have made it that long.

Protagonist likes this.
  12. Protagonist

Dec 17, 2019
    Detroit-ish
    Full disclosure, it's been for sale for a week or two. It was just on my mind a lot today.

13. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    So I find myself @ a year on with this beauty, and am as blown away now as I was out of the gate. I'm trying to learn a little more about the finer details and thought I'd ask here:

1) Is the pickup in standard P land?
    2) What is the 411 on the pickup? Anything unique to it?

Basically, I am amazed at the versatility. It seems like with hand placement and tone control adjustments I'm able to get a lot more variety than I'd expect from a single pickup bass.

And by the way, again, Greg is the man. Please at least consider @RocketMusic for your G&L (and other!) needs. He really goes the extra mile.

14. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Definitely in P-land. I replaced the pickup in mine with a Lindy Fralin pickup, which for me is the P-bass sound I hear in my head. The stock G&L pickup in the LB-100 is very close to that, and thus I think pretty much smack in the classic P-bass sound. And you're right, as a class of instruments, "P-basses" are ridiculously versatile for the simplicity of their design. I played my '68 Fender P and nothing else for more than 20 years in a shockingly wide range of genres and between fingerstyle/thumb/pick, hand placement, palm muting, and tone control tweaking was able to get a perfectly viable tone in all of it. I still have that bass, although I don't take it out much anymore, and the LB-100 does what that Fender does, and in someways it's more resonant, lighter (in Empress), and very, very pretty (which that Fender ain't anymore).

Jim C, Murch, Andyman001 and 2 others like this.
  15. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I forget when this happened, but based on pickguardheaven's LB-100 offerings I think it was around 2015...

G&L actually moved the pickup location to be exactly like a Precision sometime around 2015. Prior to that, the pickup was biased towards the bridge just a smidge (like 1/4" or so). So now when you buy a replacement pickguard for an LB-100, you actually need to know the year your bass was built if you want one that fits right.

Fun fact! :)

** EDIT - oh, and thanks for the kind words, Josh! **

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    bdgotoh, Jim C, pjbassist and 7 others like this.
  16. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    The LB-100 pickup is wound at 10,500 turns, vs the standard P at 10,000 turns, so it’s effectively a 5% overwind. Otherwise, pretty normal P pickup design.

17. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    I'm definitely new to the whole P bass thing as a player, and this is the first which really stuck with me. Thanks for the feedback!

Bam! It sure seemed to me to be in the traditional place, and it sounds like that's the deal. Hope all is well!

Now there's the skinny! Love it! And it explains that smidge of extra bite it seems to have when one digs in a little bit. Gracias!

18. ped

ped User Commercial User

Aug 30, 2006
    York, England
    Hi folks. I love the crackle paint aluminium(?) scratch plate on my SB1 and would love to have a matching one made for a pre EB Musicman. I think someone here mentioned where they had one made for their G&L but I can’t find the link. Any ideas? I’m in the UK though so perhaps I can find someone here if you guys know the type of paint etc?

19. ahadl2500

ahadl2500 Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    Tone-Guard appears to make a MusicMan powder coated aluminum guard. US based company, but appears to offer international shipping. Note I have not used them; I just recall seeing them mentioned before. You might also be able to find one on Reverb or Etsy.

ped likes this.
  20. ped

ped User Commercial User

Aug 30, 2006
    York, England
    Thanks!