1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GAS over for a while... Got my 2 dream basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jvanick, Sep 19, 2010.

1. jvanick

jvanick

Mar 8, 2010
    Cary, IL
    I've been going back and forth on getting either a Fender Geddy Lee or a Fender Marcus Miller for a while now...

well, the right combo deal came along for me and I bought both of them in the same day.

They're off at my tech's place getting restrung and re-setup for BEAD tuning right now... It's hard to decide which one I like better at the moment, I'll have to play a few shows before I make a full determination, but I know that most likely I'll be playing both of them, depending on the song and tone I'm going for :)

Oh, and pics to prove that it happened :)

Geddy Lee:
    [​IMG]

Marcus Miller:
    [​IMG]

-J

2. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Nice basses. Im amazed that such run of the mill instruments can qualify as someones dream bass though. lol

3. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Nicely done! Congrats!!!

4. loend68

loend68 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    Nice pair!!!

5. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Most excellent!

Are they significantly tonally different?

6. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    Thats the amazing thing about being an individual...it allows you to dream however you want without feeling the need to conform to what others think.

Excellent basses, Jvanick...as the proud owner of a Geddy, I can safely say that I think you'll love it. I haven't played a marcus Miller but they sure look sweet. Enjoy the new members of the family!

7. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    Dream basses? They're sweet but I'll bet they'll be in the classifieds in 6 months . . .

8. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Although i agree to a degree id say that buying run of the mill basses is conformity. That is of course unless someone tries a ton of basses and decides something like that is perfect. I suppose there has to be poeple with less of an imagination out there so it makes sense. I didnt mean anything by what i said in my post, i was just surprised.

Both of those are great basses and i wasnt trying to take away from that.

9. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Nice score, jvanick!
    I'm sure you'll dig them both.

thumbsup.gif

10. People always want to take away from someone else's joy. Congrats on your purchases man, don't let these people drag you down.

11. Congrats on the basses!

12. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    Congratulations! Nice basses, nothing wrong with those being dream basses. I know I've sold hand made instruments worth three three times and coming back to "run of the mill" instruments.

I'd keep both and put a new pre into the Miller, makes it come alive in a whole new way.

13. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    It's a fact is all . . . looky here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=126

The end of GAS is next to an impossibility.

14. cassius987

cassius987 Inactive

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    :rollno:

So we all need to make sure to buy ridiculous looking singlecuts with five pickups, 9 strings, and a preamp/operating system onboard right?

Pretty much every decision anyone ever makes conforms to something before it in some way, I'll have none of this, "You bought a Marcus Miller Jazz, therefore you're conforming--but me with my Wiggity Wack bass over here, I'm not!" You're like the goth kids on South Park.

15. Congrats Jvanick! Sometimes it's the little things that please people the most. I've known several musicians that go full circle from a beater instrument -> mass produced -> custom boutique (with tons of effects) -> and then back to a mass produced instrument.

It's almost a minimalist feel to it. In the end the instrument is an extension of the musician. I'm happy for Jvanick and that they are comfortable with the simple things.:cool:

My sig has 2/5 of my own mass produced dream instruments and I've loved them since day 1.

16. funk generator

funk generator Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Johnson City, TN
    Grats man! Glad you got your dream basses! and dont worry ;) gas will return.. it always does

17. Aaaaaa......Two Jazz Basses are better than one. :D

18. Psycho

Psycho

Jun 24, 2008
    Why BEAD tuning?

19. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Right, because that is exactly what im implying.......except not at all. Youre of course blowing what i said out of proportion. Its lame kids like you who feel the need to argue about everything when someone states their opinion. Grow up and stop overthinking everything. Jeesh...

20. rhopper

rhopper Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2009
    San Antonio, Texas
    Put a black pick guard on the Geddy and that might be one of my dream basses! Congrats!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021