1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Genzler Amplification Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Discount Saint, Mar 9, 2016.

1. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    @Joeykun A Pelican or Harbor Freight (much cheaper) hard case coupled with some foam should work pretty well.

BlueLou, Chef, mwbonsall and 3 others like this.
  2. Jeff Genzler

Jeff Genzler Commercial User

Feb 9, 2007
    Brooklyn NY
    Currently GENZLER AMPLIFICATION / Formerly GENZ BENZ
    Please note that my comments were certainly not directed towards anyone in particular so please don't take it that way. Just in a general discussion of the merits of a rack kit for the MG-800 ;)!

iceboxbass, BlueLou, Fred312b and 3 others like this.
  3. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Tough crowd, my man...:rollno:

I totally get where you're going with this. I'm not on tour, but my band play regularly, and I'm just now getting to the point that I'm not racking my stuff all the time, although I do carry a rack. I'd agree with @ahc , there's a few really good case options out there. Pelican definitely has something that will give you all the protection you need, but it'll be pricey. I'd tell you to look locally and see if anyone in your area makes something that'll work. Good luck, bro.:thumbsup:

Joeykun likes this.
  4. Nightman

Nightman If it ain't low, it's got to go! Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Okay!!! Everyone just take a couple of deep breaths!!! In.........Out........In............Out........In..........Out!!

Better?

campbems likes this.
  5. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    :angel: :whistle:

6. flyingfinbar

flyingfinbar Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Long Island, New York
    I hear you...it’s fairly obvious to see who hasn’t toured or done any serious roadwork based on replies alone. I’m not touring full time anymore, but we had a saying when I was. Case it or replace it! A van and trailer is no place for a head to be bouncing around. Even a gig bag, while fine for farting back and forth in the passenger seat of your car from your house to the tavern and back, is asking for trouble going down the highway in a trailer. And if you live in the van, like we did, you wouldn’t have wanted it taking up valuable real estate in the cabin.

I’d go the Pelican/small road case route, myself, and just configure the foam to hold it all in place. Leave some room for the speaker cable/AC cable, and you got yourself a nice little all in one solution.

iceboxbass, TAZ, pbass6811 and 3 others like this.
  7. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    LOL at this thread- guy asks a question, and everyone wants to tell him what an idiot he is for wanting something different. ‘Dude, I played a gig once so I’m an expert...” Guy may have a rack mounted wireless, compressor, tuner, who knows? He plays in a Journey and Foreigner tribute band, maybe he just wants to look authentic ;)

Lost in all the dumbassery was this from the man himself.

The new Bergantino 1200 watt amp, as well as models from GK and Markbass, are rackmountable, so there obviously is SOME demand for it.

flyingfinbar, BluesyCat and Joeykun like this.
  8. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    This is a great low cost solution. Air tight water proof tough cases for under 50 bucks on the Harbor Freight cases.

Mark

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    unbridled and Joeykun like this.
  9. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    So, is the real issue/question about suitable cases to house the MG800 for heavy/long/often gigs travel in a car, van or trailer; or for a type of rack that's suitable to hold the MG800 at a gig? Seems to me if you are on the road a lot then you should already know what's the best method to protect your gear while in transit. What's suitable for one person may not be suitable or even necessary for another. Having heavy travel cases for your equipment doesn't mean you are touring a lot, either. It just means you have a lot of heavy travel equipment cases.
    I traveled quit a bit in the 80's in a Gospel band and never used those heavy travel cases and I don't recall any equipment needing to be replaced because it wasn't cased. We tied things down so that they wouldn't bounce around all over the place. Plus, you'd be surprised at how much room you have in those big, long Coupe De Ville's! :thumbsup:

Of course, I did have Demeter Bass 400 take a backwards one and a half off of a bass cabinet while still in the padded bag that jarred something loose and I had to get it repaired. I'm not sure a hard shell case would have save it though.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    iceboxbass and campbems like this.
  10. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I’ve used the Pelican cases for REddi when I used one live and the protection of them are superior to anything I’ve seen. Cheap to as can be found under $80 for what you would need.

Joeykun likes this.
  11. gclark51

gclark51 Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2014
    Vilonia, AR
    None
    I travel with my 800 in a Pelican case.
    Wrap a twel around it and throw the cables in beside it. The case also doubles as a lift when set atop the 12/3 stack.

iceboxbass and Joeykun like this.
  12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The pelican stuff is good and fine and I've used it. It's not a rack mount though.
    One thing you could try is an accessory shelf installed in your favorite skb or whatever case, and then bungie or screw the amp down.

Joeykun likes this.
  13. dwellers

dwellers Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Well, I must say, that if this is the most controversy this board has seen, then we are a truly open-minded, caring, and compassionate bunch! We are the Canada of message boards! :) I'm feeling inspired to hug a Republican.

JK...don't flame that. Just saying...I really enjoy this place.

The Editor, revroy, Holdsg and 3 others like this.
  14. Loring

Loring

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    yeah if I were running a rack anyways - why not have the genzler in there. Probably use a drawer and put it to one side and jam extra stuff in beside it...

I don’t run a rack and since the messenger bag really doesn’t get in the way I just put it across diagonally.

The one time it was in a trailer - I hung the short handles from a hook inside.

SadowskySteve likes this.
  15. Not sure why there was some heat generated yesterday. I thought it was a great question raised by @Joeykun.

I just missed out on a fairly large summer tour last year, just barely, and I had the exact same concern. Turned out a non-issue for me but it would be nice knowing some good road solutions. (Thus my rack and old 410 is still mothballed.)

Everybody have a great day today and stay safe - we are getting hit hard with a winter storm in the Toronto / Southern Ontario region today.

Loring and Nightman like this.
  16. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

IMO, the cool thing about micro heads (and I've been using them since 1995 when I bought a Walter Woods), is that you can ditch the rack and downsize the whole rig. Before getting the WW, I had a 4 space rack - even had a 6 space at one point, where I racked the GK 800RB until SWR came out with the SM400 - along with the pull-out lights with outlets in the back and a multi-FX unit. I'm seeing a lot less racks out there and more micro heads / stomp boxes / multi-FX stomp boxes. If one has roadies and is doing large shows, I can see where a nice rack full of gear would be the choice. I used to be in the road case biz - Anvil and others - and as mentioned, those rack shelves work well. As far as I know, the method for attachment was to remove the feet and use those holes to mount the amp to the shelf.

17. Jeff Genzler

Jeff Genzler Commercial User

Feb 9, 2007
    Brooklyn NY
    Currently GENZLER AMPLIFICATION / Formerly GENZ BENZ
    Hey Chef, yes this is what I was recommending for those that might have a rack-mount need:

Penn Elcom 3U Clamping Rack Shelf 367mm/14.45" Deep R1297/3UK | PennElcomOnline.com

The above link is the shelf and then you can add a couple of clamping bars to hold the amp on the shelf. A cleaner solution than the bungie cord option.

Actually they may also have made a face plate front for the MG-800 that another user had them make. That might also be an option.

Again, I hope this is helpful and from our perspective I'm sure there are users that have a racking requirement (those users should not be discounted or questioned) we just found that this was not a large enough demand for this size of amp.

I hope that some of this info is helpful for those that need it.

18. Loring

Loring

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    Options are always good things. Affordable options even better :thumbsup:

19. Loring

Loring

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    Oh and for my fellow canucks - there’s a dude in Uxbridge selling some 12-3 cabs on Kijiji. I may grab one but I kinda want a second slt instead of a second straight.