1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Genzler Amplification Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Discount Saint, Mar 9, 2016.

1. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I have used a 1x12 or a 1x15 in arena size gigs. 8000 + people to 12,000. More than once.
    I was playing pop.. I also have IEMs.
    I also find that I have to play MUCH louder in bar gigs than i do on arena size stages where i have more physical distance between myself and other instruments and create my own mix thru a fantastic monitor mixer.

Depending on the gig and your technique. , not much is needed these days. . If technique is lacking you may need more. Other parameters may change the needs too.

Bar gigs will have me run my 410-3 and MG800 fairly loud. Where as a pop gig in Utah last moth to a crowd of 6000 i ran it 1/2 as loud onstage

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  2. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Right. It's a nice full sound - even my Roscoe B string. I love that I can grab it with one hand. I'm not saying it'll keep up in all situations, no one is, but for what I do, this is all I need. Is it as "full" as a pair of 12's or a 4x10? Will you feel it in your chest? Of course not. I don't think anyone is claiming that. But I don't need that kind of size/volume for these jazz/pit type gigs that I'm doing.

I will say, I was surprised last year at a gig where we were pretty loud. Drummer used sticks (not rods) and guitar had a loud amp. Keys used in the house system as he didn't have an amp to use as he usually uses FOH and IEM's. The stage was hollow so I took advantage of some coupling and that little amp filled the room. It's crazy.

Fred312b and Nightman like this.
  3. Nightman

Nightman If it ain't low, it's got to go! Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, I look forward to experience that craziness!

campbems likes this.
  4. DrPieZon

DrPieZon

Nov 16, 2007
    Nashua, NH
    Looking for some advice. I have a line on a good deal for a Magellan 112T. I'm looking to use this for a grab and go setup. Will the Magellan 350 have enough oomph to drive this 8ohm cab or should I look for something with a bit more power? Hoping to keep up with a "controlled" drummer, e-guitar and singer for practices.

My current rig is an Eden WT-400 into a D-115T. I love the tone but I'm looking for a smaller and lighter setup.

Thanks,

Nightman likes this.
  5. Discount Saint

Discount Saint Bassist for the music in my head Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    I love this group. Seriously. Where else can you get this kind of help, group support, and DIRECT support from the friggin' manufacturer all in one place?

The Editor, iceboxbass, s0707 and 4 others like this.
  6. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, if you review the previous pages in this thread you should find the answer to your question.

iceboxbass likes this.
  7. RNG1

RNG1

Mar 1, 2015
    Short answer is 350 is way louder than someone might think imo

unbridled, DrPieZon and revroy like this.
  8. Jeff Genzler

Jeff Genzler Commercial User

Feb 9, 2007
    Brooklyn NY
    Currently GENZLER AMPLIFICATION / Formerly GENZ BENZ
    Just from my point of view, we do have many players using the MG-350 amp with an efficient 8 ohm cab for gigs. The MG-112T is a smaller/lighter and efficient cab and would fit that bill for your needs. I'm sure others may come along and express their opinions. I would say that the MG 112T cab would give you a bigger tonal footprint (bigger spkr, bigger cab) than the smaller BA10-2 cab that many are commenting about here, so you have that to consider as well.

DrPieZon and Winston Wolf like this.
  9. RNG1

RNG1

Mar 1, 2015
    My rig adds up as follows:
    350+12-3=huge
    350+2X 12-3= huger

10. Modulus 96

Modulus 96

Jun 10, 2018
    Gotta say that while I like my 350 combo, I have to have a 12-3 under it.

ChrisWright and Nightman like this.
  11. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    This is what I’m planning to do when the 350/10-2 arrives.
    I have GAS for another BA12-3 Slant, but looking forward to hearing what the combo on the BA12-3 offers.

12. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I think we all agree that Genzler delivers the goods no matter what combinations you use.

berman3313, svtb15, Loring and 2 others like this.
  13. Modulus 96

Modulus 96

Jun 10, 2018
    I so want a slant, but a store had a sale I couldn't pass up, a 2018 12-3 straight for 640-ish shipped. Slants just don't show up used, maybe next year....

14. Can't go wrong there! Folks were raving about a double BA12-3 stack before the SLT's came out. Just as I went to pull the trigger Jeff give me the heads up on the SLT and I was first in Canada to sport one. At the price you got I would gladly pull the trigger. Congrats.

revroy and Loring like this.
  15. Modulus 96

Modulus 96

Jun 10, 2018
    Yeah thanks, the store was "rotating floor displays" or something like that. Guess they just wanted to clear it out. All my Genzler stuff is used, all of it and in really good shape. My 350 combo bag came in last week from eBay, got a great price there too, etc. Just need a cover for the latest cabinet and things will be "covered"...

Fred312b likes this.
  16. All of the talk about a pre-amp, I see that Trickfish just released one - Trilobite

17. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Yep- e’erbody’s doin’ it! :D

Nightman likes this.
  18. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Just you wait! Its coming........ :thumbsup:

19. ChrisWright

ChrisWright Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Southern FL
    That’s a great price. You’ll love it.

campbems likes this.
  20. Modulus 96

Modulus 96

Jun 10, 2018
    So, in my search for deals I've noticed three types of straights, the latest with a top handle, one with a side handle and a third with a side handle and an offset rear "connection" panel where all others had them centered. What years do these represent? Top handle is 2019 or 2018?