Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

George Mraz' Book

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Jeff Bonny, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    This is my semi-annual plea to anyone knowing where I can get a copy of the Georeg Mraz book of walking basslines? Loaned mine out twenty or so years ago and never got it back. I'm not sure how much I really need it at this point but it really bugs me not to have a copy...

Thanks.
    jeff

2. Is this a joke like the thread for his bow or strings? I've followed George for years and as far as I know he has never written a book of any kind for bass;are you sure you're not talking about Mike Richmond's book which George has endoresed.

3. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    No joke. It was a deceptively simple little book of walking blues lines. I bought it in the early '80's.

4. Who published it?I think if it was on the market it would still be out there today and as far as I know there are transcriptions of George's walking lines in other books ,but nothing George ever put out himself.Ever try to get a lesson from him?

5. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada

6. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I wish I could remember the publisher. If memory serves me the book was a thin, brown magazine sized paper cover. The whole thing was a blues in C starting with just chord tones, moving through rhythmic devices and non-chord tones and finishing with a transcription(s?). I don't recall having seen the Mike Richmond book, is that what I just described? I was sure it was from Mraz but maybe the years have clouded my recollection.

7. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    What you've described is not the Mike Richmond book.

8. Well the Brown paper magazine cover,C-blues,chord tones,Etc. seem to fit the Richmond book pretty much .Maybe pick one up thru Lemur Music and I guess yuo'll know,,,
    Thanks for an interesting thought: must go transcribe some George.

9. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    The Richmond book has a yellowish, cream coloured cover. The various examples are given in different keys - not just C and there are no particular transcriptions that I remember. I'm on the road at the moment and don't have my copy to check that last point but I'm quite sure. I know definitely that it does not have everything in the key of C.

10. Mine is Magazine size,it starts in C and does move to other keys and adds rhythmic devices,but has no transcription ,But think about it;what other book comes close to this discription and sounds alot like George's type of lines.It's worth the money anyways....

11. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    The Mraz book has everything in C Maj and was a medium brown, definitely not cream. Why the hell am I the only one who's ever seen this thing? That seems REALLY strange... I kinda feel like at some point I shifted here from a parallel universe where everything is exactly the same except that George didn't write a book in this one.

12. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It's pretty funny to have a 'Sliders' reference in the DB arena!

13. I forgot to mention the little drawing on the cover of the Richmond book of a Secret Agent/Bass thumbing a ride ,walking down a path of footsteps.
    Adrian was right on the current editions color ,although mine is a tan/ brown color.[Maybe 15 years old]
    There's a photo on Lemur site under jazz books.I would attach it,but I'm not that good w. the computer.
    The only other thing this book could be is maybe a copy of anything George used when he taught for Atilla Zoller up in Vermont at his jazz camp back in the 80's.But I feel you just had the first couple of chapters of the Richmond book.Mike does give good examples of pull-offs,and other rhythmic devices.$11.00 US from Lemur Music.

14. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Definitely not the Richmond book. It had the feel of something that might have been put together for a jazz camp though and I'll bet that's what it was. I probably just got lucky finding a copy in a music store.. oh well.