1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

getting rig accross the country..?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by groooooove, Mar 24, 2009.

1. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    my band is now booking a tour up and down california, and we dont know what to do about getting our equiptment there (were from new york.) we have drums to use waiting for us in LA at a friends house.. but the guitarist and myself dont know what to do. ship our amps? most places we called dont have backlines - most have a DI, but i wish i could use my own stuff..any advice would be great..

im not sure if this is the right forum to put this in.. move if neccesary..

2. GregShadoan

GregShadoan

Sep 1, 2008
    Oregon
  3. how are you getting there? Flying you should at least be able to check your head (haha) on the plane and then rent a cab or pray there's always a nice band who'll let you use theirs. If you have someone rock solid out there i don't see why you couldn't ship a small combo to their house before you leave, although it might cost you a small fortune.

Or, what about purchase a rig from GC or the like and return it when you're done? If it's under 30 days and you keep it in good shape, why not?

4. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    my head is the last worry i have, i have markbass amps..SD800 will probobly come along, i can carry it on the plane if i wanted too..

my cabinet is a brickhouse 2x12.. a boutique thing not many people use, but its so unique to my sound i dont want to use anything else.. this is why i dont feel like buying from GC or renting.. the thing is HEAVY..approx 85 pounds on a household scale. im afraid to get an estimate on shipping this thing. i can hopefully just go direct out of my amp head and/or use a house cab if there is one, and deal with the differnt tone...

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah, renting while you're there is the sensible way to do it. I love my cabs and I think they're unique, too, but no way I'd ship them out to a gig.

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Agree with Jimmy. Sometimes touring means compromises, and you must forego your preferred equipment and rent a basic backline. That's the nature of touring, just roll with it.

I once saw Stanley Clarke here in Ohio, and he was playing through an SWR 1x15 combo, occasionally tinkering with it throughout the night. Guarantee you he didn't bother to ship it there and it was just what was available locally.

BTW, he sounded awesome.