1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jennings, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    No that was from Mudbucker versions in the 60's- 70's and only when you have your amp adjusted to Fender settings or bass way up.

2. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    From an Explorer, and T-bird owner? I don't think Gibson's heart was ever in Basses. (With a few exceptions). Don't get me wrong, I think if they put their weight behind a bass design like they do behind their custom archtops, electric guitars and acoustics? It'd be awesome and prohibitively expensive. Most of their designs were just redrawn guitars anyway, even the Ex and Birds were guitars first. The Fenders and their permutations just out ran them on so many levels.

3. ill tell you what gibson's heart is in

MONEY
    BUSINESS
    MONOPOLY
    RIPPING PEOPLE OFF

4. They put their weight in the headstocks! LOL, sorry. Too obvious?

5. Fender > gibson
    end of story

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

You done?:rolleyes:

The initial question wasn't asking for someone to rant on what their opinion is of a bass maker last time I checked.:confused:

You play Schecter and Hartke. Post the exact same thread asking TBers to opine on if these two brands "suck".:rolleyes:

7. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    that's cool, jsingles, you have an opinion but it's not the only opinion out there. do you really think that fender doesn't have it's heart in profit, business & 'monopoly'? I've never been ripped off by Gibson or fender so you're on your own there.

8. tigersuit

tigersuit

Dec 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    How about the Gibson Ripper or Grabber G3? I've always thought those were pretty good basses. I'll agree that recently, Gibson hasn't made anything worth looking at.

9. K-T

K-T

May 25, 2007
    tasmania, australia
    gibson don't care about bass players any more:rollno:. i hope they go broke and some other company buys them out a makes some new, better, bigger range of basses

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Is the whole TB Forum going to hell? What is with the influx of negative posts lately that give quick negative "I HATE...." posts?

K-T, PLEASE explain your supporting argument to the above in a clear, concise way.

What information do you have to support your argument that

I don't even play Gibson basses and this thread is getting completely idiotic.:rollno:

11. swamp2

swamp2

Feb 27, 2008
    Well, I for one happen to like Gibson basses. I have a couple recent ones - both from the "guitar of the week" marketing ploy they ran last year. I will say the "out of the box" QC could use a little help. The first one - natural SG Supreme - had a bad ground (would buzz badly if you touched the neck p/u) and I didn't like the way the fret ends were finished, and the intonation was way off. The second (Blue Money bass) was pretty much wonderful except the intonation was way off.

None of this cost me anything to fix. I'm left with 2 really nice instruments that will retain their value if not appreciate over time. Beautiful woods, nice finishes, excellent quality hardware, top quality cases. The money bass is reasonably versatile tonally - the SG less so - but I have no problem w/ either dialing in tones I want with an amp w/ somewhat flexible EQ capability. The short scale SG is the easiest, fastest playing bass I have ever touched. The long scale Money bass isn't bad either.

So, play whatever you want - I tend to like stuff that's a bit more "interesting" than your garden variety p-bass/j-bass or one of the millions of clones. But IHMO there are a lot more redeeming qualities of Gibson basses than this thread suggests...

12. Let's not forget Entwistle and the Fender...er, Thunder... bird.

Well, at least he liked how it sounded.

13. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    I have to agree with you Baird. I don't understand why people post negative comments just for the sake of being negative.

I own(ed) Gibson and Fender guitars and basses and each has their good qualities. I have yet to buy a Gibson that wasn't worth the money that I paid for it. The same is true for Fender.

Gibson still makes their guitars and basses in the USA and have a higher overhead than some other manufacturers from other countries. Same holds true for Fender USA and Fender Custom Shop instruments.

Fender has a greater diversity of musical instruments than Gibson and thus can afford to offer a wider range of basses, both in price and quality. Gibson builds setneck basses (like their guitars), which is more labor intensive than bolt-on basses.

JMHO ;)

14. K-T

K-T

May 25, 2007
    tasmania, australia
    well i just think gibson just has such a small range of basses and colours, i never said gibson was bad. the worst G.A.S i have ever had was from a gibson les paul double cut money bass. and the les paul bass was great too. ok my comment was a bit harsh but i was a bit annoyed about them getting rid of them, and getting rid of some of my faves like the SG in AAA flamed maple and the T-bird in white and the Thunderbird Studio 4. sorry if i offended anyone but thats my opinion and im entitled to it, just as much as you are to yours.

15. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA

I'd put my RD Artist up against anything for versatility and tone. "Mediocre"? I wouldn't trade mine for a Wal, buddy.

16. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I only play Thunderbirds.....I have 5, No F****r ever made is half cool as this, and yeah played with a pick loud thru a GK 1001.....No apologies!

Gibson_1976_Thunderbird_Custom_Gree.

17. EnderZ13

EnderZ13

Feb 19, 2007
    Utopia, Jersey
    Started on a Fender P bass, then a Jazz MIA, Marcus, Geddy, Reggie, 50's P bass. And each served me well. I was never a fan of Gibson plus they were, and are too pricey. One day killing time GC I decided to try a SG, which had been hanging, and still is on the rack for at least a year, and.... man did it suck, especially at $1299--OUCH!

But, something about the short scale appealed to me and recently, I guess for the exact same reason you've been discussing, a Gibson bass glut and price drop. So, I scored one and I lucked-out.

I don't know muddy bucket from a hockey puck, but I tell you what, I can make this thing sound like anything you want. And without the paint the neck is very fast. The short scale forgetaboutit:D

I am selling all the Fenders. I am going with:bassist:
    GibsonSG.

18. Barkless Dog

Jan 19, 2007
    Finally, someone else that really understands RD's!!

I have had mine for 30 years and is still one of my go to basses. It is well crafted and still amazes me with it can do after all these years. I have yet to find ANY bass that can do what it does, it's that good to me.

19. Barkless Dog

Jan 19, 2007
    Also I would suggest that anyone who wants to broaden their bass palette get at least one vintage mudbucker bass. No other bass can sound like one. Also is a great bass when combined with effects. It creates a new animal all together.

Not a bass for all types of music, but a great sound to broaden your tone.

20. Back to the original poster's question - and if I could interpret the real issue as "There seem to be a glut of these SG reissues...awfully cheap from the major online retailers..what's up?" Answer is (a) decent bass (b) QA is spotty, so try in the store first.
    I used to crave the EB-3s for sale when I was a kid (35 years ago)...but now that I can get a EBMM Bongo (etc.)...? I wouldn't trade my Miata in for that '64 MGB either...