1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jennings, Mar 10, 2008.

1. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    Oh yeah almost forgot...Am I alone in recalling when "SG" meant "Solid Guitar" and "EB" was "Electric Bass"?! Who's in charge down there anyway? or did they just lose the rights to "EB"?

2. :confused: Never thought about it, but maybe they fear the mighty mighty Ernie Ball company...?? I'll betcha if they did call them "EB" somethings, the MusicMan people would flock over unknowingly...

3. Always thought there was some cool mystique about the Gibson Victory Artist bass, heard a guy playing one in a music store (mid '80's era) and thought it sounded wonderful.

4. notenslaved

notenslaved I survived the 80's only to see it return.

Feb 13, 2008
    Connecticut, USA
    FWIW I have 2 Les Paul Standards - a 94 and an 07. Both are solid. The '94 I got used off eBay and has some problems due to the previous owner(s) being soft in the head, but is one of the models where they put the Bartolini TCT (might be TCT-B) in it. The pups are Gibson. I've found this to be surprisingly versatile.

The '07 LP Standard is all passive - but I play rock/metal/etc. on the '07 and the passive pups are righteous for this.

Mud? A fairy tale. Neither bass has this issue. If it's not the maple top, then it must be the pup recipe Gibson is using these days. Mud has certainly never been an issue and as someone stated a couple of times in this thread, that mud myth is based on some old models.

I agree that Gibson basses can be hit or miss - just as hit or miss as a <insert mainstream manufacturer here> bass...

5. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Even aside from quality considerations, I've never been attracted to any aspect of any Gibson Bass. I tried a cheapo Epiphone T-Bird once 'cause MF was almost giving them away-the tone was proportional to the price (299.), the upper frets were for decoration only, unless I grew my fingers to 9 inches long, and the neck dove like a thornbird-return auth. number please.........

As far as their highr end is concerned, played 'em a couple of times and left me GASless.

6. It's curious, what lomo sees as disadvantages, for me are what makes it great; as I don't use much of the upper frets, I don't mind not reaching them. Gibson and Epiphone give the tone I want, as always is a matter of "what's good for someone, isn't necessarily good for someone else"

7. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    The Tbird Studios have better upper fret access due to the large radiused edges or just get an LP as they share the same pickups, woods and electronics.

8. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal

That's why Ben and Jerry's makes so many flavors :)

9. lol when did i say nobody else could have an opinion... jeez.. chill out. if you dont agree with people who hate gibson (and this thread is ABOUT gibson basses, we arent here for the sake of "being negative?") then fine, im not saying youre stupid for liking gibson...:rolleyes:

10. Ben and Jerry?

11. +++1

12. Absolutely---sing it brother!!! Mine is the cat's meow!:bassist:

13. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Gibson basses have been 'berry 'berry good to me! I have several Gibson basses from the 60's and 70's that have appreciated exceedingly well. In addition, my '72 LP Signature just might be the best sounding bass I've ever heard and I love the "Dark Cloud" tone of my '67 EB-2C. They are "keepers" to me! They always command attention when ever I bring them out to play.

Guitars210.

Guitars041.

72EB-30001.

14. Barkless Dog

Jan 19, 2007

Wow, really nice basses. you can't touch that LP for less than $3,000 now

15. i like the red finish the most, i guess gold top is a hit or miss kind of thing

16. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I've always liked the tone I've heard from all these big bassists using Gibsons though I could never replicate it.

Played the SG reissue. It was...ok? Wasn't tonally special or distinct at all, and definitely not worth the $1300 asking price. I also played the more expensive T-Bird IV and while I liked it solo, I found it limiting in a band setting and ending up pulling the headstock off with my bare hands. Literally. :atoz:

However I do absolutely love the older Gibson EB-2s and the EB-3Ls, but not enough to fork over a collectors price for 'em.

17. Has anyone seen a Gibson or Epi LP with DarkStars?

18. Barkless Dog

Jan 19, 2007
    I see in Bass Player Randy Jackson is shown in front of his Gibson Ripper

19. You are not alone, even if you are 2 months older than me.

20. Mark4

Mark4

Oct 21, 2007
    If you're talking resale value and iconic place in music history, then it's Gibson Les Paul Standard FTW.