1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jennings, Mar 10, 2008.

1. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    NICE BASS!:bassist:

2. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    +100

Since I could afford 'em:
    OleManRivers1980s3.

63BirdMandevilleFX1b.

DSCN4511.
    DoomFace.

WhiteGib01FXd.

What mud?
    Only get mud when needed by pressing "7B" on my Line 6 BassPODXTLive....NOT the factory preset, it's a tweaked "HUGE 360" preset.

That said, Gibson's marketing department for basses must be re-hires from Commodore's marketing dept. Both have similar results. Gibson could make a small fortune IF they would offer the basses of the 1960's and the RD. Ford learned when it re-issued the Steve McQueen mobile retro-looking Mustangs.

3. The RD wasn't bad but the 60s basses were not much better than the Epiphone reissues of today.

4. arjune

arjune

Oct 8, 2006
    SF, CA
    To this day, a Gibson EB0 with dual Darkstars and a natural finish will send me into a fit of GAS faster than you can say Lakland!

[​IMG]

I believe a fellow TalkBasser is the proud owner of this puppy. I got this picture from the Darkstar site though.

5. That is a heavily modded EBO.

6. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    I have occasion to visit the Gibson Showcase store in the Opry Mills Mall in Nashville about 3-4 times a year, and now and again I try out their basses. LOVE the Tobias basses, of course, but the rest do nothing for me - EXCEPT the T-bird. And since taste is something not everyone has, I prefer the Epi T-bird. Sometimes the Epi T-bird sounds better than anything else in GC's bass room that day as well.

Bought one for my (13-year-old) Nephew because he'd had enough of his $150 Warlock (and he was still doing bass daily after over a year!), and now another year later he's still loving it. I consider the Epi T-Bird to be as good a bass as can be found at the price. But I will also agree that, like a Modulus with EMGs, it has a unique sound that polarizes people. For rock 'n roll, it rules.

7. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    from what i can gather... people (the sheep, the faceless masses, the guys who flock to companies because of the name and not the quality of the product) will catch the SG title because that's what Angus and Jimmy Page and whoever else plays. but if they went with EB everyone would go "Hey, that looks like an SG, only it's a bass!!"

so Gibson goes where the money is. not the history.

8. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Right because no famous bassist that played in a band that shares a name with what many consider a crucial ingredient in coffee ever used an EB... :rolleyes:

9. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    oh, i'm with you. i had this conversation with the guys at Bass Emporium, who were all disappointed with the name change. but once again, i ask, will the masses recognize the EB name? we know that knowledgable bassists will, but likely, those who are just going for "the look" won't. they'll see an SG, so Gibson just decided to cut out any and all confusion for the (uninformed) consumer and call it an SG bass.

10. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Am I missing something? Looks like a DS-ed Guild to me.

11. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    +1. look at the bridge, and the horns. it scream Guild.

12. Looks like a Hagstrom bridge.

13. EnderZ13

EnderZ13

Feb 19, 2007
    Utopia, Jersey
    TB2.

14. I play epiphone preiod. I owna t bird Id fight you to the death for, a les pual archtop, with binding that finaly beatthe best jazz bass I have ever held, my 03 S-1 jazz, also own a 63ish(hard to tell serial numbers are all gone) eph rivioli..(hollow body short scale, like a jack cassidy, but with a beautiful red burst finish) that can get any any evey sound a bass player could want...especially with a tube amp...the only gibson I want is a 70s ripper/grabber awwww...drool..... but other thatn that.....maybe a really nice archtop paul, (prolly not) or a hardcore vintage t bird, cuz the new ones are almost un playable, with the ugly body change and superbly lame neck paired with par at best pick ups....so in closing gibson mostly bad epiphone mostly good

15. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Thats a 1970 Guild JS bass, not a Gibson. The 70 JS-II bass had dual Hagstrom pups and the Hagstrom bridge. The bass in the picture has had the original Haggy pups swapped for the "better" Dark Star pickups.

I personally hate Dark Star, but thats just me.:smug:

16. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I like my Gibsons.......
    Its a choice, I've owned Fenders, Musicmann, Rics at least 35 different basses. Only Thunderbirds will do..
    Basses2.

17. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Good description. They are not ergonomic or playable for long periods of time without fatigue. They have a "rock star" factor that guys seem to dig, but that's about it. They do sound good in certain situations, though. Mostly indie rock and the like.

18. Hansel

Hansel

Jan 20, 2008
    Kitchener, Ontario
    That Purple Thunderbird is the coolest gibson I've ever seen, Tbird. The green too !

The only Gibson Basses I personally really appreciate so far are the T-Birds, Studios especially and the odd RD.

Their guitars on the other hand I love :).

I just think Gibby had far too much competition, and frankly enough got it handed to them by others!

19. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    They refused to follow Fender like 99% of bass makers do today and tried to re-invent the bass with each new commercial failure. Lucky for us as it gives you new sounds that Fenders can't come close to. That's why I like them so much. Each one is a new experience and you can never broadly lump Gibson basses together, other than them not being Fenderish.

20. I agree---I had a great sounding Fender American Deluxe, until I acquired a Gibson RD Artist bass. The RD could get any sound of the Fender---and then go way beyond. The Fender was no longer unique and therefore not needed---the RD did it all and more.