1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson Midtown Club.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by loendmaestro, Apr 28, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Clipped

Clipped

Aug 9, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I'm getting a metallic rattle inside my Midtown's neck pickup. Should I prop up the pickup or pad the top to keep it from rattling against the cover?

2. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Most people (myself included) padded the top, keeps the pickup from rattling against the cover, a common issue with these but a super easy fix. A small piece of felt or drop of silicone gel should do it.

Clipped likes this.
  3. halech54

halech54

Jul 15, 2015
    Richmond VA,
    When you say pad the top, do you mean adding felt to the underside of the cover?

4. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

I stuck a little piece to the top of the pickup, just something keep the cover from vibrating against the pickup.

5. KamaK

KamaK

May 29, 2015
    Such a nice inexpensive bass deserves a thread with a little more action. I'll help.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FKXyXKSv.

I had the bass set up with GHS 45-105's. The bridge/treble pickup went out and had to be rewound. Aside from that, it plays/sounds great.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  7. Very nice.

Sorry about the needed repair. Did you send it out?

If so, where, and were you covered by the warranty? How did that go?.

Cheers!

8. KamaK

KamaK

May 29, 2015
    I brought it up to Parkway Music (a family shop local to me). I believe they send pickups down to a specialty shop in upstate NJ to get rewound/potted. Since I picked up the bass off eBay, warranty wasn't an option. The only hiccup was that I could not order a new OEM pickup from Gibson, leading to my requesting it be rewound. Setup, pickup, and 2 packs of strings came to about $125.

I'd complain about the soldering job Gibson did, but I'm 50% certain that the original owner put in fancy pickups in it, and placed the OEM pickups back in it to sell. Either that, or the quality of Gibson's electronic work has tumbled below anything that resembles an acceptable job. Nothing that couldn't be fixed in 60 seconds with a Weller.

Bass Dao likes this.
  9. From my experience and from what I read on the web, Gibson's quality is hit and miss -- meaning it's more a quality control issue than strictly quality.

IMO, it's quite a weird company. They seem to be in their own space, and not really interested in "reality".

They are consistently on lists of the worst companies to work for -- this in an industry of craftspeople who are quite committed to, and invested in what they do. So they clearly aren't driven to keep their employees happy.

They also don't seem to be customer driven: They keep their booths at NAMM closed to the general attendees. And they don't seem to care about this, or other forums, where many manufacturers have reps monitoring the threads. (Ignore your customers, and maybe they will leave you alone...)

All of this in an industry where profit margins are slim to nil, so they can't be in it to make large sums of money.

Still many of their products are tops in their categories and the best specific instruments coming off the assembly lines are world beaters. I was lucky to get one of those, I think -- quite a specimen, with the exception of the pervasive (and intermittent) neck pup cover rattle. Oh well, can't win them all...

Glad to hear your middy is back in business. Pretty soon the whole episode will dim into the thump, thump, thump we all love to hear.

Cheers!

[EDIT: Getting late, can't seem to type or read...]

10. soundtim

soundtim

Nov 19, 2010
    Hamburg
    As this is such a small club: any new members needed? :)

gmb.

11. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Apologies, I've been away for a bit.

KamaK #28

soundtim #29.

Welcome!

12. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    That would be my last name Red.

13. KamaK

KamaK

May 29, 2015
    No problem, I'm already #25. I was just posting additional pics to liven up the joint.

Thank you though.

14. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Hey! I was perusing my local Guitar Center and came upon this beauty:
    12969D1C-8AF6-4C8D-BD83-7D4AB9013D96_zpsb4cq79rj.

Quite a different flavor from my G&L and StinRay single pickup basses. Too cool to pass up.

4EB30FBD-C611-4A1E-803D-69B3EE5CC627_zps8xavdtwt.

I'll have to get my daughter the photographer to try to get some pictures that really show off the sparkle. I love looking down the neck to the headstock and seeing the finish.

15FBBC78-5534-4F4A-8F3A-680B47611761_zpsnf8vw08c.

Love the tone of this baby! I'm surprised by the bridge pickup. I was expecting it to be weak and nasally and not sound good on its own. Pleasantly mistaken!

15. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    You're #30!

16. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Thanks! Really loving this bass and the flexibility of tones I can get. It's strung up with Chromes and I can get a real goold old school thump with the neck pickup and the tone rolled back a bit. Flip the switch to the middle and it adds a little definition. I've been able to get some useful tones from the bridge pickup soloed as well which surprised me.

Bass Dao likes this.
  17. corsicangroove

corsicangroove

Oct 13, 2008
    I'm in with a Midtown Signature Gold.

First track with my new Gibson.

Bass Dao likes this.
  18. lowendrachel

lowendrachel

Sep 11, 2012
    GTA, Ontario
    There's one locally for $2,000 Canadian. Price too high?

19. 4-fingers

4-fingers

Nov 22, 2015
    Ontario Canada
    Oh yes, too high. I have seen fairly recently a couple for around a grand. My local is your local.

lowendrachel likes this.
  20. lowendrachel

lowendrachel

Sep 11, 2012
    GTA, Ontario
    Thanks for your reply 4-fingers. Really appreciate it.