1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson Midtown Club.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by loendmaestro, Apr 28, 2013.

Tags:
  1. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
  2. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    First actual gig with the MIdtown last night. I had played a few jams with it but this was the first time on stage with my rig. Here's a crappy cell phone photo for proof:
    Circle9_3_12_16_zps7cpmctnt.

The band plays a mix of newer country - covers and originals - and classic rock. I was going to switch between the Midtown and my Classic Stingray 5 (which is the main bass I use for this band) but didn't. Played the Midtown all night.

Bass Dao likes this.
  3. Chuxtaposition

Chuxtaposition

Sep 2, 2016
    Requesting membership with my baby "Ataloa"
    The most solidbody hollowbody I've ever met.
    With flats she is a motown machine.
    Pictured with the rest of the family here.

Attached Files:

tellheryousawme and Bass Dao like this.
  4. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    #32 for you

5. Ordered a used 2013 Sunburst Midtown Bass from GS yesterday should be here Friday. Back in the day I used to have a 1967 EB-2, wish I still had it. Currently playing a Hofner. Please count me in the group. Could you please assign me a number???

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    Bass Dao and Mastermold like this.
  6. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    #33. Congrats! Post pix when it arrives...

7. Well the Midtown arrived yesterday and is much better than I was expecting having bought it without playing it. I was a little apprehensive having been playing the Hofner short scale but the neck on the Midtown is sweet. IMG_0581.JPG

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  8. wendells101

wendells101

May 30, 2016
    Vermont
    IMG_6863.JPG Another newbie here (#34?). Anyone else have problems with volume control between 8/9 making a huge jump/cut? Not linear at all and nearly impossible to find just right vs too quiet or too loud - happens right at 8.5. Thanks in advance. Also tone cuts sharply around 7. Playing through a Mesa Walkabout Scout.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Bass Dao likes this.
  9. Chuxtaposition

Chuxtaposition

Sep 2, 2016
    Sweet spot is v. Small on all the ones ive played, particularly when both pickups were in play. Felt like the window was wider when I picked just one, went 5-10 rather than 8-10.
    I was better off adjusting amp volume rather than volume on the bass when I used it.
    That being said, after some amp adjustment it sounded so good that I barely remembered.

Good looking cherry red btw.

10. I've never had any issues with volume or tone. I play GHS Precision flats through a G-B Streamliner.

Might be worth it to put the pots on a Ohm-meter.

Not sure if pup height might be a factor. I did notice quite a difference in tone and balance when I adjusted such. Getting a nice balance between the bridge and neck pups really delivers the tone, IME.

Maybe take it to luthier to make sure it's setup properly. Mine came from Sweetwater, and the setup was very nice. I just had to adjust the pups for the switched out flats.

Hope you are able to get it worked out.

11. wendells101

wendells101

May 30, 2016
    Vermont
    Just removed the neck pickup cover and shimmed under the pup to kill the buzz. Seems there is no further adjustment of this other than the poles which I'm not touching. Lowered the neck pickup to roughy 1/4" from strings (from 1/8") - tone is better with both but lower output on bridge pup alone. Neck was straight; .015 at 7th fret, action at 4/32", no fret buzz. Still have this big bump in volume at 8. On to flats - advice? Have a set of new TIs standing by but thought of trying the Sadowsky Blue Labels or La Bellas maybe instead.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Mastermold likes this.
  12. Seems like flats selection depends a great deal on personal taste and music style. I really like the thump of the Precision Flats. I play the Midtown in smallish ensembles, jazz, blues, reggae. If I need to cut through, I'll add the bridge pup and max the tone.

I haven't played the Ti's, but reports seem to be consistent in stating that they are on the "zingy" side; maybe the zingiest of the flats. Fender Chromes are nearly so. I am sure the disclaimer, YMMV applies.

Good luck in your quest. Hope I am helping.

wendells101 likes this.
  13. Well now that I have had my Midtown for a few weeks or so I have not touched my Hofner bass. I spend at least 4 hours a day playing it.(I love retirement) The Midtown is everything I need in a bass. I was foolish to worry about going from the short scale of the Hofner to the long scale of the Midtown. I can't recommend it enough. I no longer miss my old EB-2. I have already had offers to sell it but that is NOT going to happen.
    Al

14. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

My Midtown has TI flats and they sound/play great. Good choice IMO.

15. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    #34 indeed

16. Tonight, I was re-working my amp settings, so I was going through my basses to adjust the levels (I tend to like to "set-and-forget"). In so doing, I noticed (for the first time) the effect you mentioned, but only when the tone is down below 7 or 8. I usually have the tone up at 8.5 to 1o -- with the flats, especially -- which is probably why I never noticed it before.

Funny, the jump is very prominent right around vol=8.5 for lower tone settings. Must be some interaction between the tone pot and pick-up balance.

(Note that I rarely use anything other than the middle switch position on this bass.)

I am really happy with my usual tone and volume settings, so I am not bothered by this curious effect.

I guess it's yet another reason to use flats so as to push the tone bias up.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers!

tellheryousawme likes this.
  17. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Oklahoma City
    MJC Ironworks
    Can I get a number? I know it's a long shot, but do you guys know of anyone who makes a chrome pickup cover for over the bridge and a pickguard so I can give it an EB2 look?

Attached Files:

Bass Dao likes this.
  18. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA

cv115505 likes this.
  19. Jakeman

Jakeman Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    026kXPx.

loendmaestro, Clipped and Mastermold like this.
  20. Scott Dallas

Scott Dallas

Jan 15, 2018
    Just got my 2013. First night out tonight !!!

Attached Files:

loendmaestro and Bass Dao like this.